Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenp3228
Stranger
New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice
    #7492283 - 10/06/07 06:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hello all, I've been reading the site here on and off for about a year and I finally bit the bullet and have ordered some supplies. For the sake of ease I went with some presterilized bags from one of the vendors here and 3 different cube strains.

I've got probably about a week before I start working with these things and I want to make sure I know exactly the process I should be going through. I will attempt to run down all the steps briefly, and If anyone could help with altering, or filling in where I'm unsure I'd really be thankful.

Anyways here goes.

1. Sterilize syringe with my gas stove, and wipe with an alcohol soaked wipe. Sterilize the inoculation point on the bag with a new alcohol wipe. Inoculate the 1 pound bag with about 3cc of spore solution.

2. Put the bags into darkness at around 80-85 degrees and wait until at least half the bag is colonized and mix up the ingredients. All during this time watching for signs of contamination.

So far I'm very confident about the process, the rest is hazy for me as I haven't found guides.

I'd like to just grow the mushies in the bags themselves for ease. Yields are not very important to me, this is a learning experience. A good yield is just a bonus.

3. Dunk the contents of the bag into distilled or mineral water and soak overnight. Carefully dry the extra water with paper towels and return contents to the bag and close the top of the bag with a paper clip or similar.

4. Decrease temperature to 75 degrees and add some light to where the bags are and wait for pinning and fruiting.

5. When mushrooms are about to break it's veil pick them and move them to dry.

Now... I've heard of flushes, are these just something that naturally occures or do I need to do something to make this happen?

Thanks so much for any help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWeed_Indicated
Hemp will Savethe Planet
Male User Gallery

Loc: FEMA Camp #420
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: np3228]
    #7492350 - 10/06/07 07:13 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

np3228 said:
3. Dunk the contents of the bag into distilled or mineral water and soak overnight.

I've never done bags, but there's no need to 'dunk' until after the 1st harvest or 'flush'

Quote:

np3228 said:
4. Decrease temperature to 75 degrees and add some light to where the bags are and wait for pinning and fruiting.

'Some light' is a misnomer. Use light that has a frequency of 5000K or above. Try to find 6500K or 7500K CFLs. I've fruited with a crappy 40w incandecent and a crappy 2700K CFL with so-so results. The difference with higher frequence lighting is amazing! Indirect sunlight is best too.

Quote:

np3228 said:
5. When mushrooms are about to break it's veil pick them and move them to dry.

I've been told to wait until after the veil breaks, but I suppose its ok to do just before.

--------------------
FrankHorrigan WBS Prep
Magesh's Rye Tek
SixTango's G2G Tek
Liquid Culture Basics
MonsterMitch's Monotub Tek

----
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be understood to mean that I choose to participate in activities which break federal, state, or local laws. All posts are strictly fictional.

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Space
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Weed_Indicated]
    #7492389 - 10/06/07 07:25 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I've never done bags, but there's no need to 'dunk' until after the 1st harvest or 'flush'

wrong! mycelium uses water throught colonization, that is why cakes in jars shrink, if you plan on fruiting from the block not breaking it up and using as spawn then you will want to dunk and then dunk again after each flush,

Quote:

'Some light' is a misnomer. Use light that has a frequency of 5000K or above. Try to find 6500K or 7500K CFLs. I've fruited with a crappy 40w incandecent and a crappy 2700K CFL with so-so results. The difference with higher frequence lighting is amazing! Indirect sunlight is best too.

mushrooms do not conduct photosynthesis, so no light is needed, and if you think you got better results with a higher frequence light then it was a placeabo,

Quote:

3. ...return contents to the bag and close the top of the bag with a paper clip or similar.

mushrooms need fae so you should give it a good faning a few times a day or just leave the top of the basg open and mist until pins come then stop because it can cause aborts

peace out Dm

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill" < Grateful Dead!

The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began

GROWLIGHT KIT, 250w HPS Digital ballast, + Enhanced Spectrum bulb and Reflector Sale Or Trade!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: dutchmushroom]
    #7492497 - 10/06/07 08:03 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mushrooms do not conduct photosynthesis, so no light is needed, and if you think you got better results with a higher frequence light then it was a placeabo,

You are 100% wrong. The rest of your answers are right on, but with that statement, you are contradicting every experienced grower from here to paul stamets. The evidence speaks volumes otherwise.

1) I'd suggest an alcohol lamp to sterilize so you won't be anywhere near your kitchen during inoculations. Kitchens are full of molds and mold producing/carrying foods such as bread and cheese, vegetables, fruits, etc., not to mention all the bacteria that lives and breeds in the sink drain and in all those hard to reach to clean spaces. There's no need to wipe with alcohol after flaming the syringe. Wait two or three seconds and inject. Work in a glovebox of course.

2) Colonize and fruit at normal room temperature. Do not elevate the temperature above 81F in any event. Light or dark makes no difference during colonization.

3) You can dunk in tap water. There is no need to use distilled or bottled.

4) Use bright fluorescent light or place the grow table near a bright window. Avoid direct sunlight.

After your substrate flushes, allow it to sit undisturbed for a few days to a week to 'rest' and dry out, and then dunk and repeat the process. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinenp3228
Stranger
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7492547 - 10/06/07 08:22 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for your replies so far!

Can i use a candle to sterilize instead of the stove to avoid the kitchen? I do have my own room/closet/bathroom, are any of these significantly better than the others?

My apartment is rather warm, I am on the top floor so all the heat likes to linger in my room. I can open the windows at night and cool it down some, but i suspect that it could reach almost 90 in the upper region in my closet. Growing outside my room/bathroom/closet is not an option. Perhaps under the bed is the best place.

I can certainly get a CFL and a lamp and put it under my bed. I should be the only one home during the day so I could also put it by the window. Do I need to keep them on a regular schedule, or is a few hours of light a day going to be enough?

so after I get my first flush, I should leave everything sit in the dark, and then dunk overnight and then move back to the light for the 2nd flush?

Thanks again I really appreciate it!

OfflineMonChe
RevolutionaryMonkey
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7492548 - 10/06/07 08:22 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

do the bags you have bought come with filter patches?  If they do all you need to do is innoc and then let them sit till the first flush.  then open them for the first time to remove the mushroom goodness.  to 'dunk' you can just pour a cup to a cup and a half of water into the bag and the 'clump' will suck up the water. fold over the top and clip like you stated and repeat for then next 6 flushes.

mycobags are fun aren't they :smile:

--------------------
MonChe, Leading the monkeys against the tyranny of the apes in the Gorilla wars!

Offlinenp3228
Stranger
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: MonChe]
    #7492572 - 10/06/07 08:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

bags are from the mad season if that helps. I really don't know much about the bags, but the tutorial on their website makes it sound like the self healing inoculation point is pretty easy to use.

OfflineFunkatron9000
Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sector Zed: Region 6: Sol...
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: np3228]
    #7492648 - 10/06/07 08:54 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like your going to be fine.
With everyones help on here im sure you'll do great.

--------------------
You cannot yet touch my daughters awesome boobage
:jiggly:
You must fight to the death in the Breastriary of Nippopolis.

I thought Gene Wilder was cool BEFORE he was dead.

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Funkatron9000]
    #7492825 - 10/06/07 09:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You are 100% wrong. The rest of your answers are right on, but with that statement, you are contradicting every experienced grower from here to paul stamets. The evidence speaks volumes otherwise.

really?? i've always read that mushrooms dont conduct photosynthesis, im not trying to argue with you or anything tho i respect you more then allto fo people here,

peace out Dm

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill" < Grateful Dead!

GROWLIGHT KIT, 250w HPS Digital ballast, + Enhanced Spectrum bulb and Reflector Sale Or Trade!

OfflineOpFoxdie
SociopoliticalAnalyst

#7493121 - 10/06/07 11:57 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wait, so will the light make a difference or were you just saying that mushrooms DO conduct photosynthesis? All I have is a 40W and everywhere I've read says light doesn't have to be more than that..

Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: OpFoxdie]
    #7493156 - 10/07/07 12:08 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Light makes all the difference in the world. It can mean the difference between 4 pins or a hundred with the correct bulb. It should be intense such as a compact floro or even a standard floro but use a 5000k-10000k color bulb.

--------------------
  "For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof." RR

InvisibleWeed_Indicated
Hemp will Savethe Planet
Male User Gallery

Loc: FEMA Camp #420
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: shroomerite]
    #7493478 - 10/07/07 02:37 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shroomerite said:
Light makes all the difference in the world. It can mean the difference between 4 pins or a hundred with the correct bulb. It should be intense such as a compact floro or even a standard floro but use a 5000k-10000k color bulb.

Yep..I found that out the hard way..as most noobs do. Let him use a 40w incandecent and find out for himself.

Quote:

dutchmushroom said:

How can someone with 500+ posts say something as ridiculous as that?!

OfflineVegan
using the searchbutton
Male User Gallery

#7493516 - 10/07/07 03:11 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

np3228 said:
Thanks for your replies so far!

Can i use a candle to sterilize instead of the stove to avoid the kitchen?

absoulutly NOT!!!!!!!!

--------------------
I came, I saw , I came back

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Vegan]
    #7493739 - 10/07/07 08:27 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I'm sorry, i am a experienced very successful mushroom grower and the only light thats in my grow room is the one in the ceiling light fixture and i only leave it on when i start to initiate pinning, it goes off when i leave the room, once shroomies start popping up, yet i have great result, although i know none of you are going to believe me because i don't have a cam so therefore don't have the pics to back up my claim,

i believe that light initiates pinning but once the mushrooms pop up the do not depend upon photosynthesis, i think the reason that light initiates pinning is because in the wild mycelium See's light and it means that its not underground anymore so its time to start making shrooms,

i don't do what works for other people i only do what works for me,

peace out Dm

--------------------

Offlinenp3228
Stranger
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: dutchmushroom]
    #7493950 - 10/07/07 10:46 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

ok so i can't use a candle... and i've read that i shouldn't use a butane lighter because it leaves residue behind. But can i use a butane lighter and then use an alcohol wipe to clean that off? I'm not sure what i'm supposed to use to heat the syringe with.

OfflineAndrew47
Servant of allLife
Male

#7493988 - 10/07/07 10:58 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

butane lighter works it just leaves black marks

--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

OfflineMycodood
Male

Loc: USA
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Andrew47]
    #7496532 - 10/08/07 07:15 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Just because someone has a high post count doesn't make them an expert.

Offlinetoadstooly
searcher oftruth
Male User Gallery

Loc: where the wild things are...
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Mycodood]
    #7496620 - 10/08/07 08:19 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mycodood said:
Quote:

Just because someone has a high post count doesn't make them an expert.

exactly, post count means shit. I get tired of people treating folks with low post counts like they are idiots or something while treating someone who has no life and can post all day long with tons of respect. :justdontknow:

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: toadstooly]
    #7497031 - 10/08/07 11:04 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

someone who has no life and can post all day long

thanks! i have about 600 posts, i have been a member here since august of last year, thats less then 2 posts aday :rollseyes:

plus the reason allot of people with low post counts get treated like idiots is because allot of them are, i dont know why you think i am respected here because i am not, if you want to be respected here then post something of value and try to help people out,

i try to give people good advice and answers to there questions, and i may have been wrong about light making no diference in mushroom growth, but it doesint for me, and i can only give this guy advice on what works FOR ME

but i still believe that light only affects pin set and not actual mushroom grow,

peace out Dm

--------------------

OfflineMycodood
Male

Loc: USA
    #7497092 - 10/08/07 11:24 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I can understand the "what works for me" thing but there is a real
science to growing mushrooms.

Hell I can grow mushrooms in a shoe in my bathroom and it
"works for me" but if your in the "what works for me" school
then you should know what bworks for me does not work for others.
So rather than leading new growers down a path that might not
work for them it is better to post proven scientific methods rather
than posting what may or may not work.

I'm not trying to be an ass here but I wadted more time and money
on what works for me posts and it was only when I used real
scientific methods that I started producing Big results.
Once I had those methods down it seems like every project I
start I det something out of.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Mycodood]
    #7497167 - 10/08/07 11:45 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

regular incandescent light works...

if you can read by it, it's enough.

You can use tap water, but, depending on where you live, and your water quality. If it's bad, and you wouldn't drink it, use bottled water, it never hurts to be safe.

Besides, Chlorine is never good for myc.

RogerRabbit, you are 100% wrong, about mushrooms and photosynthesis, light is only needed to set a pinset, after that, they know what way to grow... no light is needed after that, and growth accelerates in the dark..

if you're keeping a huge lighting cycle after a pinset is set, then you're wasting energy within the substrate, to try to create MORE pins, when they are all ready set.

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: jeetered]
    #7497460 - 10/08/07 12:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

light is only needed to set a pinset, after that, they know what way to grow...

i knew it!

peace out Dm

--------------------

Offlinetoadstooly
searcher oftruth
Male User Gallery

Loc: where the wild things are...
    #7497564 - 10/08/07 01:29 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dutchmushroom said:
Quote:

someone who has no life and can post all day long

thanks! i have about 600 posts, i have been a member here since august of last year, thats less then 2 posts aday :rollseyes:

plus the reason allot of people with low post counts get treated like idiots is because allot of them are, i dont know why you think i am respected here because i am not, if you want to be respected here then post something of value and try to help people out,

i try to give people good advice and answers to there questions, and i may have been wrong about light making no diference in mushroom growth, but it doesint for me, and i can only give this guy advice on what works FOR ME

but i still believe that light only affects pin set and not actual mushroom grow,

peace out Dm

bro, i didnt even look at YOUR post count when i posted that. So i wasnt talking about anyone in specific. The comment wasnt directed towards anyone specifically, rather towards the community as a whole. Im also not referring to people who have large post counts over the course of YEARS.

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: toadstooly]
    #7498213 - 10/08/07 04:16 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

o my bad

peace out Dm

--------------------

OfflineOpFoxdie
SociopoliticalAnalyst

#7499921 - 10/08/07 11:08 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Now I just don't even know WTF to think  :rofl:

Two pretty respected members, head to head...

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: OpFoxdie]
    #7504687 - 10/10/07 09:39 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

it's not head to head,

what's important, is that you realize there is more then 4 ways to skin this cat called mycology.

Some people have their methods, others have their own.

but really, light through a whole cycle isn't needed.

InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: jeetered]
    #7504987 - 10/10/07 11:56 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

So many different teks work to varying degrees. You have to balance what you have time for, what teks appeal to your sense of mycology, and what you want to get out of this hobby.

Bottom line, if it works, it works, even if 100 members react violently to your suggestion and call you every name in the book.

If you want to really distill out the BS, then search only posts from respected members, such as Agar and RogerRabbit, although that is a short list that leaves many out, it's a good start.

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
Get 350lbs shipped to your door for only $100!
www.mycosupply.com
Online Organic Rye Berries
www.hydroponics.net/i/200002
The Cyclestat 4P, a great repeat cycle timer made in the USA.

OfflineNexusOne
Stranger
    #7505102 - 10/10/07 12:25 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mycodood said:
I can understand the "what works for me" thing but there is a real
science to growing mushrooms.

So maybe it would be a good idea to explain that science, instead of just saying something is wrong, eh?

dutchmushroom is at least partially correct. Mushrooms are not plants, they do not produce energy with photosynthesis and they can (and do) grow in the dark. However, not unlike most plants, light is a growth signal for mushrooms - it tells them where they should be growing to get their spores above ground (a subterranean mushroom dropping spores would be pretty ineffective, don't you think?).

As for which light you should use, there is often a correlation between how close your artificial substitute is to the natural process and success. This is why many members of this community suggest using indirect sunlight - sunlight is the natural process. High frequency CFLs produce light that mushrooms might "believe" is sunlight (at least more so than a standard incandescent bulb). That said, there are probably thousands of people getting by just fine without them.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7505259 - 10/10/07 01:04 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

1) I'd suggest an alcohol lamp to sterilize so you won't be anywhere near your kitchen during inoculations. Kitchens are full of molds and mold producing/carrying foods such as bread and cheese, vegetables, fruits, etc., not to mention all the bacteria that lives and breeds in the sink drain and in all those hard to reach to clean spaces. There's no need to wipe with alcohol after flaming the syringe. Wait two or three seconds and inject. Work in a glovebox of course.

2) Colonize and fruit at normal room temperature. Do not elevate the temperature above 81F in any event. Light or dark makes no difference during colonization.

3) You can dunk in tap water. There is no need to use distilled or bottled.

4) Use bright fluorescent light or place the grow table near a bright window. Avoid direct sunlight.

After your substrate flushes, allow it to sit undisturbed for a few days to a week to 'rest' and dry out, and then dunk and repeat the process. Good luck.
RR

RogerRabbit did not say at any moment that mushrooms conduct photosynthesis. You really can't expect him to think that do you?
And I'm not talking about the post count, I'm talking about the fact that he has cultivated dozens of kinds of mushrooms, has made a video tutorial covering most aspects of micology, has grown shrooms on a bible, etc etc etc.

What he said, is that the guy he quoted was wrong in saying that because shrooms do not conduct photosynthesis no light is needed.

Light is a pinning trigger (as are others such as increased FAE) and also, as shrooms are phototropic (grow towards light) they will all grow upwards if they have a good light source above them.

Indirect sunlight or white light lamps are best if I remember correctly.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Nibin]
    #7505522 - 10/10/07 02:02 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

that's cool, my fault, i know rr KNOWS that shrooms do not produce photosynthesis.

what makes you think i've only cultivated cubensis?
and making a video isn't that hard.

RR is a great great contributer to this community, i will not deny that.

I am saying, shrooms don't need light thru the entire maturation cycle. (cropping)

InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

#7505633 - 10/10/07 02:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

For the experienced, than it's rye or WBS jars spawned to manure, who can argue that?

BRF cakes are for noobs, although their ability to produce good fruits is not questioned, it's merely a bulk thing.

Some peeps swear by cased cakes, my foaf says rye to poo!

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
Get 350lbs shipped to your door for only $100!
www.mycosupply.com
Online Organic Rye Berries
www.hydroponics.net/i/200002
The Cyclestat 4P, a great repeat cycle timer made in the USA.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#7505733 - 10/10/07 02:58 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I'd suggest an alcohol lamp to sterilize

I saw a video where someone used a common BIC lighter to sterilize the needle. It sure is hot enough and is really convenient.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineNexusOne
Stranger
Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7505977 - 10/10/07 03:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Captain Cubensis said:
BRF cakes are for noobs, although their ability to produce good fruits is not questioned, it's merely a bulk thing.

If it's a question of yield, then why are they only for "noobs"? I would assume some cultivators only require a small amount for personal use, and cakes are likely quite capable of providing them with that.

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
I saw a video where someone used a common BIC lighter to sterilize the needle. It sure is hot enough and is really convenient.

Alcohol is frequently suggested because it is a clean flame. Butane lighters will sterilize a needle (it's a simple question of heat) but leave behind a carbon residue. If you don't plan to reuse the needle, a lighter is probably fine. Or you can pour a small amount of alcohol into the bottom of a shot glass (use one of those with a small indentation on the bottom - don't fill the whole thing up, you don't need that much and you'll probably burn the house down) or similar small, glass (or otherwise non-flammable) container and burn that.

OfflineAndrew47
Servant of allLife
Male

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: NexusOne]
    #7507244 - 10/10/07 09:39 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

careful for the people using small or cardboard gloveboxes!

--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: New here, just ordered some things, looking for a little advice [Re: Andrew47]
    #7507805 - 10/11/07 03:21 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i don't use a flame to sterilize anything, a simple alcohol wipe is sufficient.

Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

#7507826 - 10/11/07 03:45 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I love you guys and dont want anyone to be misinformed so please read the post below. Dont be afraid to experiment either. I have put it to the test and it is in my experience, 100% correct.

Light has absolutely NOTHING to do with telling the mycelium that it has reached the surface. The increased fresh air, with the corresponding drop in CO2 levels sends the mycelium that message.

Light is also NOT just to establish the direction the fruits grow. In fact, air currents have a greater effect on direction of growth than light. If you doubt this, place a fan on your crop and watch.

A few seconds of light per day will NOT help to generate a good pinset. In fact, light is a secondary pinning trigger, but an important one. The difference between three or four pins, and hundreds of pins on a substrate can be directly correlated to the length, intensity, and frequency of the light applied, provided the primary pinning triggers have been fulfilled.

The light needs to be intense enough to penetrate 1/2" into the substrate. Not all pins form on the surface. Many originate from deeper in the substrate or casing layer.

Higher frequency light above a color temperature of 5,000 Kelvin will generate far more pins than a 'red' source of light such as incandescent lamps.

Fungi is a living organism that is much more closely related to mammals such as humans, than to plants. People need to quit looking at mycelium as a different kind of plant, which it isn't. Mycelium has been shown to have circadian rhythms just like mammals, and this is the reason that 12/12 light cycles work best. This planet, and all surface life on it are based on the 24 hour day. For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof.
RR

--------------------
  "For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof." RR

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7508352 - 10/11/07 10:30 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I am saying, shrooms don't need light thru the entire maturation cycle. (cropping)

And, you are wrong. Perhaps you can spend a few years learning the ropes instead of constantly trying to contradict what those who have been doing this(and teaching people like you) for many years have found through trial and error over the course of many thousands of projects. You are calling everyone from me to paul stamets wrong, yet you offer no verification or pictures to show that your ways are superior. It's all talk, and nothing but talk.

The problem is that many new growers get a first harvest and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, so whatever techniques they used, they recommend to others.

On the other side, experienced growers here will never give advice on the easiest way, the laziest way, the cheapest way, etc., but will advise on the best way to not only achieve a pinset, but on a wall-to-wall pinset that will rock your socks. There are varying degrees of success in this hobby. A Geo will get you from point A to point B, but for newbie drivers to give advice that a Geo is the best car to get you up a rugged mountain trail instead of a Jeep, only speaks of ignorance and inexperience.

The lighting questions have been resolved for at least a decade, if not longer. Many newbies are more than happy with a BE of 50%, while the experienced growers consider anything less than a BE of 100% to 200% to be failure. It's all in the 'degree of success' one seeks.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag