Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFinite Jest
Psuedo-Intellectual
Male

Bubble Mycelium
    #7483861 - 10/04/07 06:37 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, I'm new to the shroomery as well as the whole cultivation process and I'm currently in the fruiting stage. Everything seemed fine for a couple of days but recently I've noticed that 2 of my cakes in particular are growing this strange mycelium that looks really bubbley. I failed miserably my first time trying to grow due to impatience but I really slowed it down this time and am hoping for the best. So what I wanna know is if this is a bad thing. thanks guys.

--------------------
Quod evenit in labyrintho properantibus: ipsa illos velocitas inplicat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Bubble Mycelium [Re: Finite Jest]
    #7483865 - 10/04/07 06:40 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I picture would really helpfull

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinewortiesbo
Male

Loc: new vegas
Re: Bubble Mycelium [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7483918 - 10/04/07 07:20 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

maybe your cakes are beginning to pin?

--------------------

OfflineVegan
using the searchbutton
Male User Gallery

Re: Bubble Mycelium [Re: wortiesbo]
    #7483959 - 10/04/07 07:46 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

:tongue2::laugh:

--------------------
I came, I saw , I came back

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bubble Mycelium [Re: Vegan]
    #7484017 - 10/04/07 08:17 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

maybe there starting to pin, i have something like that on one of my cakes, its like the myc started growing from the top of the cake like a bublle

some pics and we can diagnose!!! well atleast others will, i can look at it and ....

hmmmmmmm.... yup, wot i thought... dont have a clue

pins!!!

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

Offlinekungpow
SeasonedPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: AaAaAaAa
    #7484106 - 10/04/07 08:57 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I think that your cake is starting to pin. Pins do look like little bubbles when they first start. Just keep watching them and they should be getting bigger. You should know for sure in a few days once the cap starts to turn brown

--------------------
Monotub #3 - check out my best grow to date!!!!

Offlinejuris1
Esquire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The South
    #7484132 - 10/04/07 09:08 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It's hard to say without any pics. However, it sounds very similar to the problem I had a couple of weeks ago on my cakes. I put my cakes in the FC and on aboout day three, I started seeing growth of mycelium. At first it looked like little hypal knots popping up, but then they turned into little balls of mycelium, kinda like little cotton balls. I put some pics up and asked around to see what it was. I was thinking that it was too much CO2 from not enough FAE and I was right. So, I started fanning more and the "puffiness" started to diminish. Then after that, the pins started forming. So, I'd say make sure you're fanning those cakes at least four good times a day. Here's a pic of what I was talking about on my cakes. Do yours look like this? Hope this helps! GL

--------------------
"In Vino Veritas"

Mycology (from the Greek μύκης, meaning "fungus") is the study of fungi, their genetic and biochemical properties, their taxonomy, and their use to humans as a source for tinder, medicinals (e.g., penicillin), food (e.g., beer, wine, cheese, edible mushrooms) and entheogens, as well as their dangers, such as poisoning or infection.

OfflineButterWeasels
Forum Lurker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Saskatchewan
Re: Bubble Mycelium [Re: juris1]
    #7484154 - 10/04/07 09:19 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yea i have a cake in a poor mans pod (128oz grean tea jug) that was originally just in a big ziploc that stayed REALLLY humid no matter how much i fanned making the cake fuzzy kind of but now im worried there isnt enough humidity (hardly any water drops on the sides). the top part of the jug is covered with breathable medical tape for air exchange, but since the R/H seems low do you think I should cover the hole and just fan it? Cant seem to get FAE and humidity at the same time lol.

--------------------
-==Classic Cakes Log==-

Offlinejuris1
Esquire
Male User Gallery

Re: Bubble Mycelium [Re: ButterWeasels]
    #7484258 - 10/04/07 09:58 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

First, condensation is not necessarily a sign of RH. The condensation has to do with temp changes from the outside compared to the inside of the container. You said you're using a PMP, but it's a tea jug??? A PMP, if not mistaken (I built one), is a plastic bin, with bubble wands/stones in the bottom, covered with lava rocks, an air pump on the outside with hoses running in through two holes in bottom of bin to the air wands, and two holes in the top of the bin for FAE to escape out of. Maybe you're using the poor man's terrarium, kinda like the two-liter bottle with top cut off and then slid back down the rest of the bottle to house a single cake...Not real sure of your setup. Also, it's normal for RH to drop some when you take the top off your FC to allow FAE. Once you close it back up, RH should rise again. What are you using for your RH, perlite, wet paper towels, etc??? If it's a jug, i'd leave the cap or top on, then remove it once in a while to allow fresh air to be fanned in.

--------------------
"In Vino Veritas"

Mycology (from the Greek μύκης, meaning "fungus") is the study of fungi, their genetic and biochemical properties, their taxonomy, and their use to humans as a source for tinder, medicinals (e.g., penicillin), food (e.g., beer, wine, cheese, edible mushrooms) and entheogens, as well as their dangers, such as poisoning or infection.

OfflineFinite Jest
Psuedo-Intellectual
Male

#7484950 - 10/04/07 01:24 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

juris that is EXACTLY what it is. So I should just fan mmore? Thanks. You guys are rediculously fast at replying, I like that.

--------------------

Offlinejuris1
Esquire
Male User Gallery

#7484994 - 10/04/07 01:38 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

When I posted about mine, I thought it was too much CO2. RR answered back and said that's exactly what it was, and to increase FAE. So, YES, increase your FAE and fan the hell out of them. I put my cakes in the FC on a Sunday. Three days later on Wed, was seeing growth, but also getting puffy. Posted my question on Thurs. Started Fanning like hell on Fri. Saw my first pins the following day on Sat. Had I been fanning more from the get go, probably wouldn't have taken a week to see pins. Especially since I left the cakes in the jars for a week after full colonization. So, hopefully this will get you all fixed up. I almost lost them, or had extremely poor results. But they came back strong and I had some great pinsets for my first flush. I'm just now getting good pins on my second flush. Good luck, and keep us posted!

--------------------
"In Vino Veritas"

OfflineButterWeasels
Forum Lurker
Male User Gallery

#7485020 - 10/04/07 01:45 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yea i got the 2 liter bottle type thing, with 2 folded damp paper towels on the bottom with a jar lid w/ wet verm in it with a 1/2 pint tall cake on top. i threw the cap away (iduno why kinda dumb) and put micropore tape over where the cap goes for gas exchange. does that tape let water through?

--------------------
-==Classic Cakes Log==-

Offlinejuris1
Esquire
Male User Gallery

#7485042 - 10/04/07 01:50 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

The tape might let water through, but why would water be on the cap? Do you mean from the RH? Sounds like you're using a poor man's terrarium instead of a PMP. Not that it really matters though. If not mistaken, the poor man's, was designed to leave the cap on. It didn't have a means for GE/FAE. That's why you take the cap off several times during the day to fan fresh air in. But, if your tape gets moist, airborn contams could latch onto it, and work their way inside. I'd try to rig something else up. Maybe stretch a balloon over the top, or something. I dunno, just get creative.

--------------------
"In Vino Veritas"

OfflineButterWeasels
Forum Lurker
Male User Gallery

#7485465 - 10/04/07 03:50 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yea im gunna cover it with duct tape then. it just seems way less moist in there because theres more volume than a 2 liter. you can easily feel humidity, plus i live in a desert so its dry as hell here =/. the humidity here is only 12% today lol.

edit: just replaced it with duct tape+rubber band, then fanned it out because it seemed moist :thumbup: but you can definitely tell the cake has shrunk a little and all its made is white fuzz so far :thumbdown: plus its a little bruised from falling over inside the chamber a few times. i need to be more careful when fanning i guess.

--------------------
-==Classic Cakes Log==-

Edited by ButterWeasels (10/04/07 04:01 PM)

OfflineFinite Jest
Psuedo-Intellectual
Male

#7485525 - 10/04/07 04:15 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks so much man. Our situation was identical as far as the timeline is concerned( put in fc on sunday, saw problem wed, and posted on thursday). Once again thank you.

--------------------

Offlinejuris1
Esquire
Male User Gallery

#7486328 - 10/04/07 08:11 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It's likely that the fuzz is the result of too much CO2, i.e. not enough FAE. I've never been real crazy about that kind of a setup. Seems like it's a lot of work for such little results. Bruising shouldn't be a problem.

--------------------
"In Vino Veritas"

Offlinebagsofun
Mother Puncher

#7486577 - 10/04/07 09:34 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I can't get to my FC as often as I'd like for FAE, so today my partial solution was to raise all my cakes/casing off the floor of the FC about 4" with some little plateau things I made. I don't wanna throw out false info but I've always heard the bad gasses such as Co2 hang out at the bottom, so in my mind this buys me a little more time.

--------------------
Ass, gas, or grass, nobody rides for free

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bubble Mycelium [Re: bagsofun]
    #7487404 - 10/05/07 05:15 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

have u got holes in the bottom of your FC? this may allow some co2 to escape since that co2 is heavier.

--------------------

Offlinebagsofun
Mother Puncher

#7487987 - 10/05/07 10:43 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i would but its a glass aquarium.

--------------------
Ass, gas, or grass, nobody rides for free

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: Bubble Mycelium [Re: bagsofun]
    #7488128 - 10/05/07 11:36 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

have u got holes in the bottom of your FC? this may allow some co2 to escape since that co2 is heavier.

Stop repeating this nonsense.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies