Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShastro
Stranger

Two Questions
    #7487628 - 10/05/07 10:08 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I shook my 1/2 gallon 70% colonized wbs today, and it turned blue on me. Will the bruising dissipate over a short time? My second is, if i cant get the horse poo and straw, should i just cast it? Will i still get good flushes this way.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male User Gallery

Loc: center of earth
Re: Two Questions [Re: Shastro]
    #7487639 - 10/05/07 10:13 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

it's just bruising.. it will go away over time.

the majority of people say to only shake around 25-30% colonized, and then to just leave alone to colonize.. from what i've seen here, this works well. By shaking at 70% you are potentially actually extending your colonization time...

[edit] as far as h-poo and straw.. if they aren't readily available you could consider using coir, which is usually at most pet stores.. you can also find straw there, too, sometimes.. as rabbit bedding and food.

yos-

Edited by Yoschie99 (10/05/07 10:16 AM)

OfflineShastro
Stranger

Re: Two Questions [Re: Yoschie99]
    #7487646 - 10/05/07 10:23 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

ok cool, if they have it, i will prollyuse staw and coir, see how it turns out. How would casing go though?

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Two Questions [Re: Shastro]
    #7487727 - 10/05/07 11:07 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

1. The bluing is generally the mycelium bruising which causes the psilocin (not the same as the "phosophorous locked" psilocybin) to oxidize. While it generally indicates some kind of stress on the mycelium / mushroom - iow, bruising - it is important to remember that it does not have any correlation with potency.

2. For a really easy substrate you can use coco-coir that has been mixed with some used coffee grounds. Use whatever ratio you feel comfortable with, personally, I've stuck with a 60/40 (3::2) ratio of coco-coir to used coffee grounds. Rather than brewing up all the coffee in your house you can ask them (for free) from Starbucks under their corporate "Grounds for Gardens" policy.

Straw makes a great substrate because of how easily it's colonized but if it's your first time working with it, you might not want to rush into it. It can be messy (particularly when pasteurizing) and tends to be hard to work with outside of laundry-basket type / bagged straw-log setups. If you do go with straw, remember you're supposed to have chopped it up to 3-5" pieces beforehand. A cheap trick I gleaned from RR is to take a tupperware-tote and cut a circular hold out of the top of the lid, big enough to fit the business end of a weed-eater into it, load up the tote with straw - don't stuff to much in - and fire up the weed-eater to shred it. The lid keeps it from going everywhere and the whipper cuts the straw up into pretty perfectly sized pieces.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation