Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Using a thrash bin for capacity woodchip spawn propagation?
    #7485186 - 10/04/07 02:26 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I've got 15 liters of pure white woodchip spawn of Psilocybe cyanescens that I grew with my revolutionary Woodlover Smoothie TEK.

I'm thinking of converting it to 75 liters of woodchip spawn :yesnod: and get this baby on the road. I got 7-8 months before I can make spring outdoor beds, which is more than enough to get the job done.

It so happens that I also have an old thrash bin lying around which could comfortably accomodate those 75 liters of chips. It would be a very compact way to store/grow a bulk spawn cultivation.

My idea was to give the bin a good bleach rinse, take the thrash door out of the top and replace it with cloth taped over it with a plastic sheet loosely hanging over it as a crude filter to keep dust & bugs out. Then, pop a thrashbag into the thrashcan, pour in the 75 liters of spawned woodchips and then let it stand for a good few months to grow solid.

The thrashcan is something like 2.5-3ft high. My beech woodchips are coarse. Would the mycelium be able to breathe? Won't such a pile generate considerable composting heat which might interfere? As I understand it hardwood hardly composts on its own.

How about a thrashbag outfitted with holes with simple filters over them? Just how big can it get? Which size do you recommend?

I've got 15 liters of spawn and I might turn it into 75. Thats an incredible opportunity so I'd like to make it work as good as I comfortably can.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? [Re: Asante]
    #7485308 - 10/04/07 02:58 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I would skip the trash bag, and just vent your trash bin with some filtering method...

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
Get 350lbs shipped to your door for only $100!
www.mycosupply.com
Online Organic Rye Berries
www.hydroponics.net/i/200002
The Cyclestat 4P, a great repeat cycle timer made in the USA.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7485351 - 10/04/07 03:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

But do you think that the spawn in the bottom will get enough oxygen? 75 liters will be quite a sizable woodchips cake :P

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #7488645 - 10/05/07 02:20 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

No I don't think at the bottom they'll be getting enough air.

I think that maybe a way to do this would be to use some kind of PVC pipe and drill lot of holes through it. Then in some manner run these through the mass in the trash can so that they aerate the pile from several places (use several PVC pipes). Then cover the ends of the PVC with cloth or stuff with polyfill, and these ends would obviously be FAE-inlets so they'd be running through the can, and to the outside of the can. Hard to describe - sorry...

Do you think your woodlover tek would work with Shiitake? That would be awesome. I know a farmers' market in Coconut Grove, FL where I can get awesome quality meaty-thick fleshed shiitakes (organic too!)
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #7489375 - 10/05/07 05:49 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I was thinking along the same lines.. Putting pipes in there and then carefully withdrawing them so there are aeration holes.

Quote:

Do you think your woodlover tek would work with Shiitake?

I have no shiitake growing experience but I was actually considering doing that one soon. shiitakes are delicious but a tad expensive, and they are culinaries that can actually be dried and rehydrated for use, so that you simply dry a big flush on a newspaper with a fan and store it.

But yeah, I think it would work.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #7489744 - 10/05/07 07:54 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

BTW what the hell is a "thrash bucket"???

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? [Re: fastfred]
    #7489999 - 10/05/07 09:19 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Nobody is calling it that?

A thrash bin?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinebuddhahoodlum
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buddhahood
    #7490166 - 10/05/07 11:49 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I'm pretty sure you mean trash can. :bongload:

--------------------
“I believe that water will one day be employed as fuel, that hydrogen and oxygen which constitute it, used singly or together, will furnish an inexhaustible source of heat and light, of an intensity of which coal is not capable.” – Jules Verne, T

“Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by power obtainable at any point in the universe...it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheel-work of nature."
- Nikola Tesla

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? [Re: buddhahoodlum]
    #7490892 - 10/06/07 09:49 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I mean the indoor thing, not the huge outdoor cans you have emptied by the city.

But, whatever, this is semantics :smirk:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity woodchip spawn propagation? [Re: Asante]
    #7490919 - 10/06/07 10:04 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Beer boxes lined with plastic bags work pretty well. I don't think you should go over 6 inches deep with the chips, maybe lay the bin on it's side once the chips are in place inside the plastic bag in the bin and leave the plastic bag loosely open.

InvisibleMajorDick
notbeingadick
Male User Gallery

Loc: Westchestertonfieldville,... Flag
Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity woodchip spawn propagation? [Re: falcon]
    #7490957 - 10/06/07 10:32 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I can't wait to start growing outdoors. Love the TEKs, Wiccan!

If your gonna line the trash CONTAINER:tongue: with a bag why not place filter patch style breathers on the bag, AND place filtered holes in the CONTAINER itself?

Then you could completely seal everything up so bugs wont get it.

Offlinespock1
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? *DELETED* [Re: fastfred]
    #7491205 - 10/06/07 12:26 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by spock1

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? [Re: spock1]
    #7491248 - 10/06/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't go too deep with it Wiccan. The stuff on the bottom may go anaerobic.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity woodchip spawn propagation? [Re: falcon]
    #7491702 - 10/06/07 03:01 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I wouldn't go too deep with it Wiccan. The stuff on the bottom may go anaerobic.

Quote:

I don't think you should go over 6 inches deep with the chips

I've decided to put the chips in the bin and then make a couple of ventilation shafts with a broomstick so that no point is further than 4in from a ventilation shaft.

Quote:

Beer boxes lined with plastic bags work pretty well.

Stackable boxes, good idea :laugh:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #7492536 - 10/06/07 08:18 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
I mean the indoor thing, not the huge outdoor cans you have emptied by the city.

But, whatever, this is semantics :smirk:

I see.  As much as I love semantics, this is more of a spelling issue.  By "thrash" you mean trash.

I just couldn't figure out what a "thrash bin" was.  Maybe a bin where beatings are delivered. :shocked:

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Male User Gallery

#7497105 - 10/08/07 11:28 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
I was thinking along the same lines.. Putting pipes in there and then carefully withdrawing them so there are aeration holes.

Actually you misunderstood me, but that's no biggie, because my explanation was probably not that good. Sorry about that!

I did a quick search for images, and came up with a few that may help illustrate my point better.

What I was trying to say was that you should take a PVC pipe, and drill holes all over it like this -

The top Left picture is what I'm talking about. Just drilling holes in the PVC pipe all around.

Then once you have your PVC pipes with the holes drilled in, you can then insert them into your Thrash bin (okay that's the first time I've ever used that phrase...), so that the ends come out the sides to the outside of the bin, and the drilled PVC is running through the inside of the bin, like so -

You see how the PVC is meant to stay in the bin? That way the air can move through the parts of the bin that would usually be inaccessible.
Here's a picture of the bin filled -

Here's a basic picture of a PVC aeration set up for a container plant (also it may be for watering, but you get the point)

That's basically what you'll be doing, and how to make the depth work best, IMO.

P.S., FYI the bin in the above pictures is being used for vermiculture, worm farming to create worm castings.

Does this seem like a possible method for you?
Light and Love,
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #7497161 - 10/08/07 11:43 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

That would be a great idea, thanks for going at length about it.

However, it won't be needed anymore as I decided to put the chips in plastic storage boxes instead, which are much shallower, eliminating the aeration problem.

I didn't want to risk my 100 liter woodchip spawning by using a bin idea that might be flawed, so I went with more conventional methods.

With the PVC pipes inserted vertically one could well use a trash bin though, and not having to modify it in the process either.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Male User Gallery

#7497481 - 10/08/07 12:55 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Okay well for next year then, you can try to bulk bin...

--------------------
Jeremy Davis

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #7497586 - 10/08/07 01:37 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I had an idea for indoor composting that was similar to that Jeremy. Except there was a French drain pipe wrapped in landscaper's cloth mounted through the center of the bin. Just 1, 6" pipe.

Edited by Hotnuts (10/08/07 01:38 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Using a thrash bin for capacity wood chip spawn propagation? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #7498250 - 10/08/07 04:27 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't recommend ventilation shafts in substrates.  I've tried it on several occasions and met failure every time, regardless of substrate type.  The problem is that contaminant spores get into the shafts, and then meet the perfect conditions to grow and ruin the projects.  I tried it with straw, manure/compost, and wood chips, each time watching as the inside of the ventilation shafts turned forest green. :frown:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags