Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

12/12 lighting *DELETED*
    #7481861 - 10/03/07 05:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by shroomerite

Reason for deletion: Searched

--------------------
  "For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof." RR

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePr0_X
CultivationLifer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Igloo's and polar bears
Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: shroomerite]
    #7483098 - 10/03/07 10:42 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

mushrooms are not photosynthesis, mycellium relies on light only as a trigger for producing mushrooms, when giving it light it tricks the mycellium into thinking its reached the surface area of its nutrient source. Light + a 10f tempature drop produces pinhead formation.

12 on 12 off of light until you have initial pinhead development but afterwards once the pins begin maturing your best bet is to give them half a hour of light a day. Reducing light exposure increases growth during maturing :smile:

--------------------
It's okay to hurt my feelings
cause you know, they're so numb anyway.
but I guess it's what I get
for being to fuckin stupid to stay away - Jake

- Support the FSR at www.fsrcanada.com and www.fsre.nl

Invisiblearchivist
5-HT
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: Pr0_X]
    #7483131 - 10/03/07 10:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Pr0_X said:
Reducing light exposure increases growth during maturing :smile:

Really?  Just curious why that would be?

I wonder if that might be a reason why this 2nd flush is growing so slowly.  I've been giving more light than usual in an attempt to get some time lapse clips.

--------------------

Proud supporter of the canning jar industry.

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: archivist]
    #7483384 - 10/04/07 12:27 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Look at it this way. We generally want to simulate the natural environment of the mushroom. The like cycle of the sun is more or less a 12 on/12 off cycle.

Have you ever noticed tremendous growth from the night before. Mushrooms very obviously do a lot of growing while in the dark.

--------------------

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: soulsizzle]
    #7483525 - 10/04/07 01:24 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Have you ever noticed tremendous growth from the night before. Mushrooms very obviously do a lot of growing while in the dark.

You obviously deserve to spend some nights alone with a science book. We notice plenty of mushrooms when the day breaks...because we haven't seen them during the night. Mushrooms grow at the same rate, and are largely ambivalent to the entire on/off sun cycle.

OfflineShastro
Stranger

Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7483767 - 10/04/07 05:05 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i really wanna know the truth to this situation, i am real curious now.

OfflinePr0_X
CultivationLifer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Igloo's and polar bears
Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: Shastro]
    #7483808 - 10/04/07 05:35 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Im not going to argue this, Ive done the comparison and yes its true mushrooms do mature faster when left in the dark, the light is purley a directional tool for their growth and we only need to stimulate the light source of nature to produce pins, any futher then that is wasting electricity and slowing down your crop.

--------------------
It's okay to hurt my feelings
cause you know, they're so numb anyway.
but I guess it's what I get
for being to fuckin stupid to stay away - Jake

- Support the FSR at www.fsrcanada.com and www.fsre.nl

Invisiblearchivist
5-HT
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: Pr0_X]
    #7483853 - 10/04/07 06:31 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for sharing perspectives. I guess I'm curious as to what biological or evolutionary motivation there is for mushrooms to grow faster in the dark vs. in the light. I guess one could argue that most natural mushroom habitats are in the shade under the canopy of foliage, but then again I think that has to do more with moisture than anything else (a spot that gets beaten by the sun 14 hours a day would get pretty dry, leading to unfavorable growing conditions).

--------------------

Proud supporter of the canning jar industry.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: archivist]
    #7483923 - 10/04/07 07:23 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It is only a pinning trigger. There's no evolutionary motivation as concerns sun; it's merely a sign that tells mycelium it's reached the surface.

To the best of my knowledge, the 12/12 cycle was only introduced because light simply isn't too useful past the usual stimulation. Experiments have shown hyphae growing from a few seconds of exposure to light, and no, fruit bodies don't care whether they're exposed to light or not.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7483954 - 10/04/07 07:45 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The outright disinformation being presented as advice in this thread is quite unbelievable.

Light has absolutely NOTHING to do with telling the mycelium that it has reached the surface. The increased fresh air, with the corresponding drop in CO2 levels sends the mycelium that message.

Light is also NOT just to establish the direction the fruits grow. In fact, air currents have a greater effect on direction of growth than light. If you doubt this, place a fan on your crop and watch.

A few seconds of light per day will NOT help to generate a good pinset. In fact, light is a secondary pinning trigger, but an important one. The difference between three or four pins, and hundreds of pins on a substrate can be directly correlated to the length, intensity, and frequency of the light applied, provided the primary pinning triggers have been fulfilled.

The light needs to be intense enough to penetrate 1/2" into the substrate. Not all pins form on the surface. Many originate from deeper in the substrate or casing layer.

Higher frequency light above a color temperature of 5,000 Kelvin will generate far more pins than a 'red' source of light such as incandescent lamps.

Fungi is a living organism that is much more closely related to mammals such as humans, than to plants. People need to quit looking at mycelium as a different kind of plant, which it isn't. Mycelium has been shown to have circadian rhythms just like mammals, and this is the reason that 12/12 light cycles work best. This planet, and all surface life on it are based on the 24 hour day. For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinesoulsizzle

#7484817 - 10/04/07 12:46 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainLinger said:
You obviously deserve to spend some nights alone with a science book. We notice plenty of mushrooms when the day breaks...because we haven't seen them during the night.

I stand by my stance. I am gone to work for roughly the same amount of time that I am asleep, so the above statement doesn't apply. And as much reading as I have done, I haven't read a single thing that contradicts what I have witnessed with my own two eyes.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

#7484956 - 10/04/07 01:26 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

RR you never cease to amaze me with your abundance of knowledge and experience. Thanks for the lesson. We have been schooled :cheers:

--------------------
  "For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof." RR

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7484999 - 10/04/07 01:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I haven't read a single thing that contradicts what I have witnessed with my own two eyes.

Stamets, any decent mycological guide, and logic all contradict this. It's a well-known myth.

Quote:

I stand by my stance.

Edited by CaptainLinger (10/04/07 01:44 PM)

Offlinesoulsizzle

#7485370 - 10/04/07 03:14 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I'd definitely like to hear some else's opinion on the matter.  While most mycological texts reference lights role in the growth process, I have never seen any mention of daily growth cycles under "natural" light conditions.  If you could point me in the direction of the text you are referring two, I'd be happy to sit down and shut up :grin:.  I would just like some clarification for my own use.

--------------------

Offlinesproket13
Stranger
Male

Loc: FL
    #7485500 - 10/04/07 04:04 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

great info from RR

i use 6500k bulbs myself...could be the reason my BRF jars pin like this!

OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: sproket13]
    #7485519 - 10/04/07 04:11 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

when you guys say 5000k and 6500k, are you talking high pressure bulbs? or just flouros?

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: VisionsToReality]
    #7485529 - 10/04/07 04:16 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

the "k" stands for Kelvin which is a measure of temperature for the bulb of sorts. The higher the "k" rating, the more white and blue the bulb is. The lower the "k" rating the more red orange the light is. I believe this is correct. not 100% though. I was curious to know if 10000k is to high or not.

I believe it is a rating for all types of bulbs. not just floros or just HIDS.

--------------------

OfflineEtInArcadiaEgo
Enigmatic
Male

Loc: Around the corner
    #7485570 - 10/04/07 04:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yes K is a rating for light output from bulbs. White light is more in the middle though, with red on the left and blue on the right. This is true for all bulbs, not just CFL or HID's. The higher the color temp the less red and more blue the light has. The color temp refers to red light as "cooler" and blue lights as "hotter" which is why it is expressed in Kelvin. this is actually true becauase red is the first color emitted by an increasing heat source.

--------------------
- "God speaks in the least of all creatures . . . no man is give leave of that voice."
- "I ain't heard no voice." he said
- "When it stops, you'll know you've heard it all your life."

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: EtInArcadiaEgo]
    #7485823 - 10/04/07 05:55 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The Kelvin scale refers to the color temperature of the light. Briefly stated, if you took a piece of white paper and looked at it under 2,000K such as you'd get from hps, it would look yellow. If you looked at it under 5,000K fluorescent tubes such as you'd find in an office or school classroom, it will look white. If you look at it under 7,500K fluorescent, it would have a blue tint to it. That's what is meant by 'blue' light. You can pick up an inexpensive fluorescent fixture and 7500K fluorescent tubes fairly cheaply at your local hardward store.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

Re: 12/12 lighting [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7485872 - 10/04/07 06:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

K I hadn't read up on lighting yet and I didn't know if you guys were using HIDs or flouros. I'm glad it's flouros. Thanks for the explanation by the way that was helpful.

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates