Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinehaze1205
grower
Male User Gallery

dont waist any spores-spore saving tek
    #7480431 - 10/03/07 12:54 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

this tek started as an experiment i tryed and didnt think anything would happen.

you know how after you run out of spore solution you normally just throw your empty syringe away? Dont!.

since spores are microscopic there are almost always a few stuck in that syringe. make a honey water or agar solution and suck that up into the syringe and keep in a dark place. after a couple days you will notice the mycelium in the syringe.

Its a great and easy way to use the spores that normally wouldnt be used

--------------------
dont know if im comming up or down

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: haze1205]
    #7480481 - 10/03/07 01:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i usually don't throw my syringes away but that sounds pretty cool
i will deff try this, nothing to lose

this is kind of like the experiment i started last night

i happened to have some sterilized rye jars that were waiting for an LC injection that never came and some fully colonized ones that i already had plans for

so i cased the fully colonized jars and there was still an assload of mycellium stuck to the side of the jar aswell as a few colonized grain chunks
so i dumped the sterile rye into the other jar

supposing i managed to do this the sterile way, i think i'll get another colonized jar out of the deal

--------------------

Edited by anarchOi (10/03/07 01:05 PM)

Offlinefeaster
only human
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: anarchOi]
    #7480600 - 10/03/07 01:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i like this idea. i may actually try sucking up some lc into a syringe i have with about 3 ccs of liquid/spores in it. i really do like this idea because instead of risking contaminating the entire lc, you would just have to worry about the syringe getting contaminated as long as u don't let any of the spore solution get into the lc.

btw, this is my first post here! this has been my source of info for about the last month. such a helpful place!

Offlinehaze1205
grower
Male User Gallery

Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: feaster]
    #7480637 - 10/03/07 01:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i love it. just like getting one spore syringe for free.

hey! i bet you could keep doing this over and over again and keep getting full syringes if you keep it clean. like when there is about 1 cc of the solution left just suck up some more honey/water solution.

im gona try that

--------------------

OfflineMFGFA37
Me For God ForAll
 User Gallery

Loc: Cheese and Beer
    #7480735 - 10/03/07 02:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

haze... it would be easier/faster in the long run to just make a quart LC with that syringe, wouldn't it? Then you would have a shitload of them ready at all times. Repeat when running low.

--------------------
There is no try, only do. -Yoda-

Take no thought for tomorrow, tomorrow shall take thought for itself. Sufficient for one day are the thoughts/worries for that day. Any thought past this is useless. -Ole Jesus-

Offlinehaze1205
grower
Male User Gallery

Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: MFGFA37]
    #7480838 - 10/03/07 02:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i guess so. this is the first time i have ever used liquid

--------------------

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7482802 - 10/03/07 11:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Also worth noting that you're going to have to draw up sterile water into that syringe. Usually that's done by just sucking it while it boils; you'd have to sterilize water, allow it to cool, and then cycle your syringe.

I'd advise just making an LC, as suggested. "Waste" isn't really a terribly useful indicator for a microbiological product.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7483778 - 10/04/07 07:15 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ok ill try and fix this.

sorry the idea just poped into my head and i quickly typed it before i forgot about it.

After reading it it would not make sense to sterilise ur syringe as this would effectifly kill the spores, so u would need to make sure that once the syringe was finished it

A - be used for LC right away
B - kept sterile

so.

1. Prepare ur LC media (via any of the teks out there, honey karo etc) and sterilise it as per the teks

2. allow to cool.

3, flame and alcohol needle, stick into ur jar of LC media(honey/karo) and suck up some liquid into the syringe, then shoot back into ur jar, do a couple of times to make sure u got some spores.

4, incubate for a week and hopefully u get a nice LC

as a safeguard, u could let it germinate in the syringe first then use that to inoc a few more LC.

Hope this is a little clearer.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Edited by veda_sticks (10/04/07 09:42 AM)

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7483903 - 10/04/07 09:12 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

For someone with 455 posts, I'd hoped you'd make more sense than that. English?

OfflineButterWeasels
Forum Lurker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Saskatchewan
    #7483922 - 10/04/07 09:23 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i understood what he said but i dont type properly either. but yea man why dont u just make a bunch of LC's or something 1cc in one to use first and .25cc'a in a few other ones for future use (should probly just keep them in the fridge before injecting so you dont grow contams). cool idea but id rather use my old spore syringe to hold LC thats already made.

--------------------
-==Classic Cakes Log==-

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: ButterWeasels]
    #7483936 - 10/04/07 09:32 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

sorry about that, i do have alot of posts but im sure 30% of them are commenting on other peoples grows and trip reports etc.

edited it to make a little more sense.

Im still learning from my mistakes.

4 blue/green mold jars (due to open air inoc without taking a shower or putting fresh cloaths on or wearing a dust mask, note to self finish my glovebox)

LC culture only made 1 jar due to using a shot glass with tinfoil, ending up exposing it after getting enough to inoc 1 jar. (note to self use a jar with silicone injector port)

extra 5 days to first pin on first cake due to not dunking, then having to dunk as cake was dry (always dunk)

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7483948 - 10/04/07 09:40 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I still don't understand what your post says; it has nothing to do with proper typing or grammar. It's nothing but a LC process, incompletely regurgitated.

Quote:

as a safeguard, u could let it germinate in the syringe first then use that to inoc a few more LC.

I have no idea what this means. "Germination" has nothing to do with your syringe, and spores will germinate once they've reached fertile spawn/substrate, not in your syringe.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7483955 - 10/04/07 09:45 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If ur syringe has honey water or karo water or what ever other medium in it then it will germinate in the syringe.
I do however just thought of a problem, if the myc grows in the syringe and gets thick enough, your gonna have a damn hard time getting it out.

I foresee a real mess if the syringe gets block and u start pushing the plunger hard,

--------------------

OfflineMr. Brown
Stranger
    #7483956 - 10/04/07 09:45 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I just got what Wally World meant. ha. anyway i just used all of spore solution so im gonna give this a try.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: Mr. Brown]
    #7483977 - 10/04/07 09:56 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I do however just thought of a problem, if the myc grows in the syringe and gets thick enough, your gonna have a damn hard time getting it out.

Whether you do just however thought of a problem or not, you should stop advising this guy. Mycelium won't grow strongly enough to impede progress of your syringe plunger. Why you'd want to deliberately germinate in a syringe in the first place is beyond me.

OfflineButterWeasels
Forum Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: dont waist any spores-spore saving tek [Re: Mr. Brown]
    #7483981 - 10/04/07 09:57 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

shit i'd be glad if the myc got really thick, hella fast colonization.

i also use open air inoc, only flame sterilizing if the needle touches anything. i always shower before and brush my teeth with the exception of 1 time, and never wear a dust mask i just breathe out my nose.

last year when i attempted growing my 2nd time i had hella contams but stopped growing because of a rediculous xanax withdrawal that had me thinking i had dome some sort of permanent psychedelic mental damage. I found out a few months ago this kid mike i lived with would put his moldy bread on some of my cakes to make sure i "didnt grow to many". Now that he doesnt live here anymore i havent had 1 contam yet in open air, but it probly relates to your environment, the desert is dry and hot not a good place for mold unless yer a slob and leave food sitting out. id be more cautious in humid areas or in a messy house, etc.

--------------------
-==Classic Cakes Log==-

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7483985 - 10/04/07 10:00 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Goddamn it this thread makes my head hurt.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7483994 - 10/04/07 10:05 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainLinger said:
Quote:

Whether you do just however thought of a problem or not, you should stop advising this guy. Mycelium won't grow strongly enough to impede progress of your syringe plunger. Why you'd want to deliberately germinate in a syringe in the first place is beyond me.

not advising anyone i was just merely advancing the original idea from this thread.

I agree that growing myc in a syringe isnt exactly a great idea, but if u r stuck for spores and u just finished a syringe then theres the possibly of still some spores being in there, even though theres no liquid. And why waste spores?? I jsut thought that there would be more of a chance of making use of those spores if they were germinated in the syringe.

Ok so would it just be better to suck up your sterilised LC media into the syringe and back out then?

arg im about to have an angry nintendo video game nerd moment, except its angry shroomery mushroom nerd. FUCK BALLS!!!

--------------------

OfflineButterWeasels
Forum Lurker
Male User Gallery

#7484146 - 10/04/07 11:13 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

yea dude just make a LC unless your completely out of spores and LC lol. more liquid = more LC so why not suck up some sterile water+honey mix, shake up and then inject back into the sterile water+honey jar to colonize that instead of just 12cc's of LC. I might try it when my syringe runs out in a year or so.

--------------------
-==Classic Cakes Log==-

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7484147 - 10/04/07 11:15 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Two quick things here...

1. Before sterilizing the water suspension for the syringes, add a _drop_ or two of jet-dry or any water based sex lube (KY, astroglide, etc.) These are both surfactants, they make "water wetter" which helps prevent the spores from sticking to the sides of the syringe as it's being used.

2. It's not unheard of for spores to begin to germinate in a syringe if left in there long enough. Usually this only happens for one of two reasons...

a - you saved a syringe after only using it partially and somewhere along the process a little bit of the substrate (grains, brf, whatever) made it's way into the needle and therefore introduced a food-source.

b - a food source was introduced as part of the sterile water suspension used. Usually this comes from using tap-water instead of distilled water to create the syringes and even if it's been thoroughly sterilized there are still dead microorganisms in the water which can sometimes be enough to kick-start the most rudimentary of germinations...although you'd never see any significant growth out of it.

---

A properly made and stored syringe can remain viable for months and months however I still think that if you're going to be working with spores, storing them in print form is much more practical.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation