Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMush Lush
Stranger

Loc: Upstate New York
Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars
    #7476133 - 10/02/07 02:15 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Are you supposed to open the PF Jar lids to allow gas exchange, or do you just wait until the jars are fully colonized first?

If you do open them before they are fully colonized, are you also supposed to mist them at all with water?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAlCapwn
ID Reset, take that subpoena

Loc: Canada
Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: Mush Lush]
    #7476144 - 10/02/07 02:23 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Don't open your jars at all, that will probably introduce contaminations. Also, I think you have to avoid air exchange as giving mycelium air will make it pin. (You only want it to pin once it's fully colonized)

--------------------
Huuuuurrrrrr!

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: AlCapwn]
    #7476159 - 10/02/07 02:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The holes that you used for inoculation will allow for all of the gas exchange needed for colonization.

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

OfflineMush Lush
Stranger

Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: Bacchus]
    #7476217 - 10/02/07 03:11 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

ok i read so many other related posts like mine and am so confused. Some guy said u need to drill a hole in the lid and put a filter kind of thing in the hole. Actually, pretty much every1 said you need some form of gas exchange. But the book i read said nothing about it and neither are you guys.

If the tin foil inoc holes are enough, should i not have a lid or a 2nd layer of tin foil on top of it.
Note: my mushrooms stopped growing for a while and I couldn't figure out why which is why im curious about this

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #7476364 - 10/02/07 05:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

search youtube for lets grow mushrooms and watch the videos, that method works every time. yes its good to have a little bit of gass exchange in cakes, but do not remove the lids, the inoc holes are usually fine. But its best to still keep them covered with tinfoil to reduce the risk of contams even with the verm layer. Get some micropore tape and cover the inoc holes and u can loose the layer of foil over the lid.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7476452 - 10/02/07 06:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You want gas exchange, not air exchange for colonizing mycelium. It's all covered in the established teks. I don't recommend leaving the foil on the jars beyond the time they're in the PC.

Keep the inoculation holes open. The vermiculite is your filter. If you choose to skip the vermiculite filter, you can use tyvek or micropore tape over the inoculation holes for filtering.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMush Lush
Stranger

Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7478771 - 10/02/07 10:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

whats PC mean?

I opened the lids and removed the tinfoil, then replaced the lids tightly, i do have a verm layer, and all the jars are already half colonized at least on top.

Offlinecbiegel
A Dude

#7478866 - 10/02/07 10:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

PC = Pressure Canner/Cooker.

--------------------
Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

OfflineMush Lush
Stranger

Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: cbiegel]
    #7479607 - 10/03/07 03:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah ok so now that I've seen those videos on youtube i realize my confusion. The book didnt tell me to drill holes in the lid (though i don't understand y they call them self healing). The book just told me to poke through the first layer of tin foil then put another layer over that and screw the lid on. I know better for next time.

Am i screwed though since I opened the jars to take off the tin foil? Like will the fresh air induce early fruiting or something?

Offlineredfishbluefish

#7479652 - 10/03/07 04:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Fairly new at this too but just keep your eye out for contams (odd colors most of the time, accompanied by a funky smell) and leave the lid on from now on. The verm layer should hold back evil germs fairly well as long as you didn't dig around in it or have the lid off for hours or anything.

I would seriously doubt it would initiate any early fruiting. Usually fruiting is initiated with a combination of things (cold shocking helps, high humidity, light). Just put the lid back on and keep an eye on it. Good luck!

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: redfishbluefish]
    #7479947 - 10/03/07 08:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Am I reading this right?  You made your jars, put a layer of foil down then the lid then more foil.  Then you opened the lid after sterilizing, removed the foil and replaced the lid?  :shake: 

Here's my suggestion for you: Go to the main site here, find mush cultivation then read PF tek for Simple Minds.  Follow it to the letter. 

Just as soon as you opened that lid to remove the foil you made your sterilization process obsolete.  I don't know where you got your info but it was BAD BAD BAD.

Better luck next time.

--------------------

Offlineredfishbluefish

Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: mushbaby]
    #7481424 - 10/03/07 04:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not saying it was a proper thing to do (quite the opposite) but I'm also saying it's not quite a death sentence. I was quite rough with my first (and at the moment only) set of jars. I overwatered half, I forgot to wipe down the top half inch before adding dry verm to half, I left them all colonizing for 5-6 days with nights reaching 60 or so. Most of my 12 jars still made it.

PF Tek is made to be about as forgiving as is possible with mushroom growth. Don't despair just yet. Though it couldn't hurt to browse through the tried and true PF Tek method again. There's also a video of the preperation of jars and such... Let me see if I can find it...

Here we are... http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek is a link to PF Tek for simple minds.

At the top (next to little 'new' banners) is a link to the video (hosted on YouTube). Link follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iFi3YrIo7o

Browsing over procedure is not a one time thing. I read through them for fun or for review. I also feel like I shouldn't feel held back from changing a few things around when I see fit (with proper research, of course). Helps me feel like the particular... experiment?... that I'm doing is a bit more my own style. So don't despair. But do keep a close eye on them. When in doubt take a small smell (but don't go overboard here, I read posts where some guy inhaled a bunch of bad spores from unloading a large amount of quart sized pf tek style jars with contams, I strongly recommend everyone read this post, but unfortunately I don't have the link handy). Best of luck to ya! :smile:

Offlineskattman1982
Stranger
Male

#7481481 - 10/03/07 04:24 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

even though you opened your jars you didn't completely screw yourself. there is the off chance that everything will turn out ok... though mushbaby is right, you absolutely made your sterilization a waste of time. at this point i would put them in a dark cabinet that wont get below 70 and forget about them for 3 or 4 days. if they finish colonizing without contam then consider yourself lucky. just read up in the cultivation archive in this forum

--------------------
They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.-Bill Hicks-

by the way, everything i write is for entertainment purposes and is purely fictional. do not construe these written words with the author having any knowledge of actual persons, places, events, or actions.

Offlineredfishbluefish

Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: skattman1982]
    #7481624 - 10/03/07 05:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well it took me a while to find but reading up on all the different contams never hurts. This was the post that let it sink in about how bad contams can be. Also with symptoms and a pretty inspiring story. Quite a few pages but definitely worth the read. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3454667/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

I don't want to ruin it, but he lives. :grin:

OfflineMush Lush
Stranger

#7503257 - 10/09/07 10:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

well its been 10 days now i think. No contams but none of the jars finished colonizing anyway. Hence I think they are stopped indefinitely.
I'm gonna bet it was an intense week of cold a looong time back before I was controlling the temperature in my box.
What do you guys think?? move onto the next grow right.
by the way,how long does it take to colonize usually for you guys anyways.

OfflineTriptheory2004
In Search Of TheSHROOM!!!
 User Gallery

#7503312 - 10/09/07 11:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Can take up to 30 days. Do you have Pics???

--------------------
I figured life out and damnit once again I forgot to write it down.

Wanna trade prints?? PM ME

Trip

OfflineMush Lush
Stranger

Re: Are you supposed to allow air exchange in PF Jars [Re: Triptheory2004]
    #7503381 - 10/09/07 11:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

no pics. Pretty much all the jars are nearly fully colonized, but have been at the same spot for like a month prolly. They got to the bottom of the jars, but there are still spots in the jar that never turned white.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation