Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Need help with agar
    #746914 - 07/14/02 11:39 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey everyone
I am currently in the process of experimenting with the cultivation of Ps. Subaeruginosa from spores. Take note that subaeruginosa is a wood lover and essentially the same as cyanescens / azurescens as far as growing goes.
I was told a good way of starting a culture is by smearing spores on agar. So I cruised down to the pharmacy, asked for some agar, they gave me a weird look and eventually figured out that the didn't have agar, and to try 'one of the labs' so I went to a lab thing (blood testin place) and they gave me some weird agar in petri dishes. In one half of the dish is blood agar, and the other half says 'cled' whatever the hell that means. Either way, it appears neither of these support mycelium growth. Today a friend of mine gave me some agar powder because I'd asked if he knew where to get some. This agar is labelled as 'nutrient agar' and these are the ingredients:
Peptane :5
Yeast extract :2
Meat extract :1
Salt :5
Agar :15

And it says to use 28g/L of this powder per litre of water, sterilise in an autoclave for 15min at 121 degrees C.

So will this agar grow mycelium? If not, is there anything I can add to it so it will?
I don't know what the hell that 'meat extract' thing was. Could it be that my friend accidentally read it as meat instead of malt? (If so - what a meathead!) I'll double check tommorow.

Also, I don't have an autoclave, or a pressure cooker, can I still make the agar? Using an oven or something? I feel like a dumbass but I have never used agar for shrooms before so its kind of confusing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Need help with agar [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #747012 - 07/15/02 02:09 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>So will this agar grow mycelium?
No. It lacks sugar.

> If not, is there anything I can add to it so it will?
Yes, likely. Glucose.
Same amount as there is agar in it.

>Also, I don't have an autoclave, or a pressure cooker, can I still make the agar?
Look here:
http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?display=faq&nr=126&catnr=12&prog=1&lang=en&onlynewfaq=3

Also read http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/cultivation.html .

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Need help with agar [Re: Anno]
    #747096 - 07/15/02 03:43 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think salt is not good for mushrooms.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract