Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: thallus]
    #6766950 - 04/09/07 08:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

thallus said:
Quote:

shroomydan said:
Japanese knotweed looks like a red devil's tail when it first sprouts and tastes a little like sour green apples.

Wow do you just eat it raw?

Yeah, you can just eat it raw, but it is not very tasty.

I went out yesterday and found these terrestrial Galerinas.

I found this same species fruiting in prime bluefoot habitat last year.

I do not know what species this is, but its sandy terrestrial habitat makes me suspect it is a different species from Galerina autumnalis which is usually found fruiting from rotting logs.

The Galerinas showed up a week or two before Bluefoot last year so it should not be long now. I just hope winter's recent return does not set us too far back.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblejeverden
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: shroomydan]
    #6767242 - 04/09/07 10:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Kind of depressing i was hoping to find some P. caerulipes but I have not found many resources except what you have posted shroomydan. I am here in michigan caerulipes are listed, but now I am unsure of what I am looking for. Do you have any relevant links where to look for caerulipes infomation? I found you habitat, plant relationships pictures and write ups very detailed. I am now unsure where to look for the caerulipes because whast you found was a differnt species than caerulipes. I guess there's always the possibility the species you have found would grow in michigan, but my confindence in hunting has been impacted greatly. Maybe I'll make a drive to ohio to hunt when they start popping up.

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Identifier
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: jeverden]
    #6767358 - 04/09/07 10:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am now unsure where to look for the caerulipes because whast you found was a differnt species than caerulipes.

The mushroom Shroomydan found matches the description of caerulipes very well.
Guzman's identification is not right for this mushroom. Guzman is unreliable as a taxonomist and any work that he has written should be veiwed with a critical eye.

Invisiblejeverden
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: falcon]
    #6767391 - 04/09/07 10:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok I didn't know that. Well you sparked the hope again. I was really bummed because everywhere else I found listed caerulipes as a fall mushroom and shroomydan had the best luck in the spring. I really didn't want to wait untell the fall to hunt the bluefoot and I found the info shroomydan posted very detailed.

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Identifier
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #6767492 - 04/09/07 10:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Is it just me or is every psilocybian wood-lover seem closely related?

It is not just you, I feel this way, the similarities far outweigh any differences.

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
    #6768293 - 04/10/07 02:24 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i wonder if there is an original wood-loving strain of psilocybe. like a mother/alpha strain

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Identifier
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #6772827 - 04/11/07 12:10 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:shrug: I think they are all not that far removed from the original, but who knows.

Edited by falcon (04/12/07 12:44 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #6773768 - 04/11/07 04:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Dan, Falcon does not know what the fuck he is talking about. He is spreading false information here and this below was my response to him and Psychoslyut because he brought this up in another thread separate from this thread.

He used your letter to me and you from Dr. Guzmán and reinvented his own intrerpretation of what was written. I posted this below to his and Wowitches comments in the other thread.

Falcon was posting that Dr. Guzmán renamed P. caerulipes as
Psilocybe ovoideocystidia and that he does not realize they are two different species.

And he also assumed that the paper on the name of the species which he does not like was written by Dr. Guzmán.

And the taxonomic paper for that species is not written by Dr. Guzmán.

Also regarding comments inthat thread ever perpetuating more mis-information were the comments by Wowitch, again someone who does not know the history of the species he describes.

Quote:

Wowithc, you are misinformed.

you said

Quote:
I've always been skeptical about Guzman's new species. Psilocybe subcubensis, and now this. haha. Also the different classifications of pan cyans. Like pan tropocalis.

I said to Wowitch, "If you have not studied mycology or its history and the taxonomy of species then please do not offer opinions for on subjects which you have no knowledge in, specifically P. subcubensis.

Dr. Guzmán published the paper on the taxonomy of psilocybe subcubensis, most likely before you were even born.

Mycotaxon vol 7:page 248 in 1978. 30 years ago.

And regarding the other half of your statement, Dr. Guzmán wrote the Genus Psilocybe. Not the Genus Panaeolus. the two Monographs, most fortunatley were written by Dr. Gyorgy-Miklos O'lah of the Universite Laval in 1961, Publsihed only in French and Dr, Ewald Gerhardt, in 2000 in German, thus keeping the knowledge from anyone who does not speak those languages. To say that what they wrote bothers you. Hahaha. There are 13 distinct species of Copelandia separate form 11 species of Panaeolus

Sorry.

mj

This whole thread is a farce and most of the posts by both Falcon and Psychoslut are misinformation and can easily be debunk.

mj

Falcon,

Dr. Guzmán did not rename Psilocybe caerulipes as Psilocybe ovoideocystidia mushroom.

Shroomy Dan's species is Psilocybe ovoideocystidia.

And the taxonomic paper for that species is not written by Dr. Guzmán.

And Psilocybe caerulipes, is a separate species from Psilocybe ovoideocystidia.

Taking comments from Dr. Guzmán's letter and reinventing them into your own interpretation is incorrect.

mj

john

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Identifier
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6779758 - 04/12/07 07:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I do not spread false information.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #6779798 - 04/12/07 07:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

For all practical purposes they are the same mushroom, accept perhaps for the fruiting cycle. P. caerulipes is reported to fruit throughout the summer and fall, but these are primarily a spring mushroom.

For the mushroom hunter, Blue foot is Bluefoot, regardless of when it pops up or what Latin name it is given.

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Identifier
    #6779859 - 04/12/07 08:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

For all practical purposes they are the same mushroom, accept perhaps for the fruiting cycle. P. caerulipes is reported to fruit throughout the summer and fall, but these are primarily a spring mushroom.

If that is the case then P. caerulipes is indeed the rarer of the two mushrooms.

The more I see of these woodlovers the more I am inclined to believe that they are one species. All of them that have descriptive Latin names could easily be moved from one species to the next.
In Engish they are all variation of blue, blue foot, lower or below blue,
below the blue foot, even egg shaped cystidia.

Edited by falcon (04/12/07 08:11 PM)

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: highdroponics]
    #7464862 - 09/28/07 06:25 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

One book you definitely need is "Mushrooms of West Virginia and the Central Appalachians by William C. Roody" It has a few psychedelic shrooms in it such as Gymnopilus luteus (Peck) Hesler, synonym Pholiota lutea(Peck) common name Yellow Gymnopilus pg. 35

OfflineEl Zorro
in heaven
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: gandalf579]
    #7464880 - 09/28/07 06:31 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The chances that this guy is still around five months later looking for book recommendations in this thread is slim

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification