Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! * 1
    #7463123 - 09/28/07 05:11 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, well I am quite excited although i don't want to put all my eggs in one basket lol. I was out looking for liberty caps today because of the recent downpour, and decided to look on this field near my local town centre. It gets grazed by many rabbits and seems quite fertile... Here is a pic of the field.

These first 3 shrooms that i found I was quite adamant about them being subbs, see what you think.

(Here are the gills from one of them)

Well I put these in a container and then carried on and saw a large patch ahead and to my astonishment, I found this (I'm hoping there subbs!)

Here are some i picked that in my opinion resembled subbs a lot...

Though there were some I wasn't sure about (Well I'm not sure about any of them lol, thats why I'm requesting) But is it possible these could be Subbs as well? There were all in the same small area. I am taking spore prints of some of the samples at the moment and hoping for jet black.

BTW what is the recommended time I keep the mushrooms caps on the paper to get the best sporeprint? 1 - 2 hours?

Thanks for any help guys!

--------------------
If we are here to figure out the meaning of life,
then isn't the meaning of life to find out why we are here?
Causing our existence to be pointless!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: mike3000]
    #7463149 - 09/28/07 05:37 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

These are not Panaeolus Subbalteatus!
They look like Paneolus foenisecii to me. An inactive species.

Offlinejoekenorer
The Joekenorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pensacola, FL.
Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: Fahkface]
    #7463165 - 09/28/07 05:46 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Those are really nice pictures, though.

--------------------
My favorites are weeping willows, which aren't really weeping at all. They're very wispy, witty and will dance in the breeze with you. Nothing like a tree that wants to dance with you. Although it doesn't like its thin limbs being pulled at all, it absolutely LOVES it when you walk through them, letting them gently slide over your face and shoulders. If you're naked, the willow considers it to be sex. It will orgasm on your mind and you will blow dream chunks into outer space. All very fun until your neighbor sees you.                                    -The Joekenorer

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: joekenorer]
    #7463176 - 09/28/07 06:00 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Cheers guys... Well I guess its one step closer to finding some actives, gotta keep my hopes up lol. In the mean time I'll keep posting some good pics of my finds :laugh:

--------------------

Invisiblebort

#7463253 - 09/28/07 06:40 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Really nice pictures.

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: bort]
    #7463289 - 09/28/07 07:00 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Well I just got the sporeprints finished and here they are, they seem black though which is confusing because Pan Foe in brown isn't it? :confused:

--------------------

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

#7463311 - 09/28/07 07:16 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

No! Panaeolus has always a black sporeprint. Psilocybes have a brown purple one :smile:

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

#7463321 - 09/28/07 07:30 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

lol cool, thanks for the info. Well later on this afternoon me and my brother are going to go to some higher grounds and look for some liberty caps, take a few beers and some mary jane, should be a laugh. will probably forget about mushroom hunting like lol :laugh:. If I do find anything I'll be sure to post the pics :laugh:

--------------------

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#7463404 - 09/28/07 08:15 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

wow A hole Paneolus foenisecii has brown those most likely are subs i hope you didnt chuck em
http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Panaeolus_foenisecii.html

fahkface no your shit before giving any IDs i can only imagine if it was something deadly and you said its not deadly cause the spore print and were wrong about that too

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Edited by thedudenj (09/28/07 08:17 AM)

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: thedudenj]
    #7463408 - 09/28/07 08:19 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

O.M.G... I went and threw all of them out :eek: Well thats a bit of a pain :frown: But now i'm confused, are they Subbs or Foes? :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#7463420 - 09/28/07 08:25 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

if they are pan subs im uncertain did they blue. but for a fact i can say there not Foes due to the black print. which makes em PAN SUBS or another type of pan, but for a fact NOT NOT foes.

pan foes
-Cap 1.5-3.0 cm broad, conic, becoming convex, broadly so at maturity; surface smooth to faintly wrinkled, cracking in dry weather, hygrophanous, dull brown fading to light greyish-brown, the margin often with a dark band; flesh thin, light brown; odor and taste mild.
-Stipe 3-7 cm tall, 2-3 mm thick, hollow, fragile, equal to tapering downward; surface pallid, darker at the base, indistinctly longitudinally striate; veil absent.
-Spores 12-14 x 6-7.5 µm, elliptical, minutely warted, with an apical pore; spore print dark-brown to purple-brown

i havent ever found and IDed pan subs myself so i wont say what is. i will only ID stuff that i have found myself

but
http://www.shroomery.org/9608/Subbedhunter420s-Guide-to-Hunting-and-Identifying-Panaeolus-subbalteatus
i can say if it was me that found those and was told they werent by someone thats not a Mod i would wait for the Mod to ID em

--------------------

you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Edited by thedudenj (09/28/07 08:31 AM)

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

#7463432 - 09/28/07 08:34 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I didn't notice any blueing so I'm not quite sure, I'm going to go back to the patch tomorrow and take a few more specimins, check for blueing and do some more sporeprints. But the sporeprints I have done were definately black.

--------------------

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
    #7463448 - 09/28/07 08:43 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hey man, in the absence of a Pan subb expert i'd say the pictures you took are of a mixed batch.

I reckon most of them (especially the big group photos) are some kind of Inky cap, possibly a Parasola or Coprinus micaceus, some look like something else, maybe some baby subbs mixed in.

Some of them definitely look Pan. subb - like, especially the pictures of the ones you ID'd yourself, that have the chunky looking gills and concentric darker rings around the margin of the caps.

Pan subbs won't bruise blue on their flesh, BUT they might bruise blue at the very base of the stem, near the mycelium. In fact i think i can see blueish bruising at the base of one of the stems in one of those pics (the subb-like ones with long white stems)

... Pity you chucked, em, they're defo no Pan foes. But on the bright side you might have Pan subbs growing locally and it looks like a pretty big patch, you're sure to find more.

Just be sure to put up another ID request, BOTH the Coprinus sp. and Panaeolus sp. bruise jet black, so the best way to tell them apart is visually looking at the caps. Also, the Coprinus sp. will tend to get very fragile very quickly, the Pans will last longer. Oh yeah and unless i'm mistaken the subbs shouldn't grow in those tight clusters (they're the coprinus).

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#7463449 - 09/28/07 08:43 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

well as i just said man, you might of just pissed in your own mash potatoes under bad advice

--------------------

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

#7463479 - 09/28/07 08:59 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Having another look at them it's hard to tell. In the group shots a lot definitely look like Coprinus, a few might be subbs, but those individual shots really look like subbs and definitely aren't Coprinus, that's for sure. Oh and the first four photos don't look like subbs OR Coprinus sp, something else.

Might be hard to tell them all apart when you're out collecting. Be sure to take lots of pics, keep your finds separate, print and photo all of them and get a subb expert to help out. Check if they're growing from buried wood. If so, Coprinus.

... and for the record Coprinus aren't poisonous unless you drink alcohol within a time period of eating them. But you don't want to eat them for shits 'n' giggles either.

--------------------

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: undergrounder]
    #7463521 - 09/28/07 09:23 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

The one's pictured are not foe's. The one's with the black spore prints at least.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: Hotnuts]
    #7463538 - 09/28/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

those clustering mushrooms are most likely psathyrella gracilis or the like...

the first mushroom pics appears to be subbs, only a black print will say yes.

but the huge cluster is psathyrella sp.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: CptnGarden]
    #7463837 - 09/28/07 11:07 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Don't worry, I'll never tell anyone to eat anything if I'm not 100% Sure what it is!!! And since I couldn't identify anything except for very few species a 100% (in all my posts I told it were 99.9% if I have been REALLY sure).
I'm pretty sorry to caused him to throw away all his mushrooms, but why would the spore print colour very within a species? As far as I know Panaeoli all have a black spore print (that's what I read), and since almost none of the above mushrooms look like Pan. Subbs to me, I've looked around in my books and stopped at Pan. foenisecii.
That's about it.

Offlinepsilocybin_qualm
Student
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Pan Subbs? Possibly first active find! [Re: CptnGarden]
    #7463867 - 09/28/07 11:12 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Well that was gay fahkface. I am pretty much a newby, but I have read enough to know that Pan Subbs and Pan Foes are almost the same. The only real way to tell the difference, for a beginner, is to print them. The Pan Subbs print should be JET BLACK, unlike other actives. You should print them all and keep only the ones with the BLACK prints.

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

#7463872 - 09/28/07 11:12 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah easy mistake to make. Pan foes have a brown spore print. They have been officially renamed Panaeolina because of this, although people still say Panaeolus. All other Panaeolus have black prints. A few of those pics do look very Pan subb-like though, in particular the ones mike3000 marked out.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck