Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineparanoid2
Loc: ill noise
What's the optimal height for a fruiting chamber?
    #745713 - 07/14/02 03:04 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I'm currently using a large rubbermaid container with an 18 inch inside height. It's connected to a cool mist on the floor via a 3/4 inch flexible hose run to the top side of it. There's a 1/4 inch hole on the bottom side to vent CO2. However the RH only get's to 80%, and I'm using a new Radio Shack digitial hygrometer. I'm thinking about either cutting down the height of the container, or getting a new one that isn't so tall. I don't plan on doing a ton of cakes, just enough to fill the bottom of the container. Currently I'm trying to do Ecuador on 1/2 pint cakes, but may try different strains of maybe even P. cyan. and/or casings later.

What would be the optimal height of a fruiting chamber so that there is enough room to grow, without too much extra space? Based on growing pics I've seen I guessing that perhaps 10 - 12 inches would be good for P.cub. EQ. Does that seem right?

--------------------
"My head feels like a frisbee."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: What's the optimal height for a fruiting chamber? [Re: paranoid2]
    #745745 - 07/14/02 03:15 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

My cat would definitely leave at least 12" above your cakes/casings. He also says that he uses a terrarium that's higher, just because he thinks his mushies benefit from the extra air space.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlineindkebr
Loc: Colorado
Re: What's the optimal height for a fruiting chamber? [Re: FanaTEK]
    #745791 - 07/14/02 03:38 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You have a smart cat. your cat's answer sounds right to me.

--------------------

Offlineparanoid2
Loc: ill noise
    #745797 - 07/14/02 03:42 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Cats are so intelligent! Thanks.

--------------------
"My head feels like a frisbee."

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

#748254 - 07/15/02 12:35 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He also says that he uses a terrarium that's higher, just because he thinks his mushies benefit from the extra air space.

FanaTEK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the rational behind more space being better that there's more room so C02 tends to not be as concentrated or is it something to do with moisture or both? I'm getting ready to build a fruiting chamber for my cakes that's gonna have to sit under my bed and be no more than 8" tall. Am I gonna run into problems with this setup?

--Aeolus

Anonymous

Re: What's the optimal height for a fruiting chamber? [Re: paranoid2]
    #748415 - 07/15/02 01:53 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

My cat likes to give the shroomies lots of room to grow and lots of air in which to do it but at the same time, avoid the problems that come with trying to control the enviroment of a large area. He's a smart kitty and likes to use an aquarium turned on its side and about 12 inches high. He makes a tight fitting 'swing door' which he can open with his paw as it has a duct tape hinge.

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: What's the optimal height for a fruiting chamber? [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #748490 - 07/15/02 02:42 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I relayed this message to my cat, and he says that the decision to use the higher chambers was partly to increase the available airspace (to keep CO2 levels down) and partly because he knew that although he was not working with 6" deep casings in the beginning, he certainly would someday and didn't want to have to build a whole new setup to support a growing hobby.

Your terrarium ought to be just fine, though. 8" clearance is a little bit less than ideal, but it is a restriction that can be worked with.

What are you planning on using for air exchange, humidification, and light?

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Edited by FanaTEK (07/15/02 02:44 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds