Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Simple So Probably Wrong
    #7455596 - 09/26/07 12:27 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Truth vs. Evil Truth = Bullseye Evil = Not Bullseye One Answer vs. Infinite Wrong Answers 1% vs. 99% Narrow Path vs. Wide Path

If you've ever been wrong about something you are fallible. If you don't believe in something, you believe in yourself. Which means you believe in something fallible.

I believe that The Bible is truth. I believe this because it makes me feel good. I believe this because it is an easy and gives me a convenient out. Why would I not want to believe in something that makes me feel good and gives me an easy out?

I've found fewer things wrong in The Bible, then I have in myself. Based on probability The Bible is more accurate than I am. This gives me faith in it. Therefore, what I have found wrong in it is more likely me being wrong.

Nobody would reject God if they knew what God was. People are only rejecting what THEY THINK IS GOD.

In theory, if someone believed in God and everything written in The Bible, the world would be a better place and people would be excited to die.

People disagree with this because they think The Bible causes some bad things when followed perfectly. However, no one is following the Bible perfectly. So the assumption is that anything that comes from the Bible that is bad isn't really what the Bible says.

People are leaning on their own understandings.

Please feel good because feeling bad is really really sad. : )

P.S. I'm sorry if anyone gets really heated and angry at me while reading this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Simple So Probably Wrong [Re: accountant]
    #7455614 - 09/26/07 12:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

In theory, if someone believed in God and everything written in The Bible, the world would be a better place and people would be excited to die.

Old Testament or New Testament?

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: Simple So Probably Wrong [Re: Veritas]
    #7455619 - 09/26/07 12:34 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The Old Testament doesn't apply any longer. So The New Testament. Jesus changed the rules. The Bible said he came to make it easier for everyone. Now salvation is free and everyone has the spirit of Christ inside them. No one even technically needs to read the Bible because the Words of scripture are written in the hearts of men now.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #7455623 - 09/26/07 12:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

*shmoopy puts on hip-waders*

We haven't have one of 'these' in a week or two. I predict a 6 pager.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7455636 - 09/26/07 12:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I've read both the Old Testament and the New, and I have no objection to any of the philosophy espoused in the New Testament. I do not believe in God, but the basic guidelines of treating others as you would like to be treated, refraining from judgment, loving others and looking within for divine inspiration all ring true to me.

Do you think that it is necessary for someone to accept Jesus as their savior, believe in God, and have faith in the more "out there" aspects of the Bible? It seems to me that the primary benefits would be gained even in the absence of faith.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#7455648 - 09/26/07 12:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

>>>>I believe that The Bible is truth. I believe this because it makes me feel good. I believe this because it is an easy and gives me a convenient out. Why would I not want to believe in something that makes me feel good and gives me an easy out?

Many things make me feel good, and give me an easy way out. But if I rely on them, I'm headed down the road of pain. It's no different with the Bible. Make the Bible into a god, and you're headed down the road of pain. It's the wide one.

Are you a sinner? Such a belief will bind you to your ego, and you will miss out on your chance to be what it is you worship.

How do you equate the easy, convenient way out... with the narrow road?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #7455649 - 09/26/07 12:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I like the Old Testacle. I think we should stone more fags.

--------------------

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery
    #7455655 - 09/26/07 12:50 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The benefits of following the Bible while on Earth are the same for a believer as they are for a non believer. I always believed that even before believing in God and Jesus.

But the the thing I like more in the Bible is the abstract stuff. Things like how a begger, poor person, disabled person, or someone who has had horrible things happen to them can be in a better position than somone who hasn't any of these things.

The position being closer to God which the Bible says is all that matters. Death is usually looked at as the worst thing that can happen to someone (murder, etc...), but that really it brings them the m to God. Now they're position is unity.

I like that. Will you ask me more questions and challenge me on these things so I can learn more? I love this kind of talk.

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery
    #7455663 - 09/26/07 12:54 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

"How do you equate the easy, convenient way out... with the narrow road?"

The narrow road is believing in God. Because that's the hardest part for my mind to do. Like 1% of me always wanted to, but 99% told me reasons not to.

How does following the Bible lead you down a road of pain? How are you defining pain?

Sinner. I'm exactly the same as everyone else. I'm living like everyone else and just saying that the Bible is the best things I've found. If I wasn't a sinner I wouldn't need Jesus. If I was perfectly fine with everything I wouldn't need God. I'm a sinner and I'm not okay with everything!

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#7455670 - 09/26/07 12:57 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

accountant said:
Therefore, what I have found wrong in it is more likely me being wrong.

Consider this when researching the cause of the vast majority of wars and state sanctioned and emotionally charged murders, violence and oppression throughout the ages. Not jumping to conclusions is good, so keep at it.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #7455686 - 09/26/07 01:03 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

But the the thing I like more in the Bible is the abstract stuff. Things like how a begger, poor person, disabled person, or someone who has had horrible things happen to them can be in a better position than somone who hasn't any of these things.

The position being closer to God which the Bible says is all that matters. Death is usually looked at as the worst thing that can happen to someone (murder, etc...), but that really it brings them the m to God. Now they're position is unity.

So one has to be poor or disabled or suffer a lot of bull shit in his life to be closer to god.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with this kind of attitude towards life because it only seems to me like a passive form of revenge coming from those who are less fortunate then others.
This is exactly why there are so many people who are afraid to take their lives in their own hands and make their own luck. This state of delusion that something better is waiting for them in the after life, which usually leads them to hate those who are enjoying life more, all this is bull shit we have to rid ourselves of in my opinion.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: Simple So Probably Wrong [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #7455694 - 09/26/07 01:05 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

This is very abstract, we're all making the assumption that wars, murder, violence, and oppression are bad. There are other assumption we make such that independence, control, power, intelligent, talented, confident, etc... are good.

But if I define good as being whatever bring someone closer to God, then how am I to judge what the consequential meanings of things are?

The Bible kind of takes emphasis off of this world and says they're more important things. Death isn't the worst thing that can happen and a lifetime of misery isn't the second worse things that can happen.

I'm sorry if I missed your point, I wasn't sure what you meant about the jumping to conclusions line.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7455705 - 09/26/07 01:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Have you read any of the other texts of the major world religions? I found it very interesting that the "core" tenets are repeated worldwide, in many texts which pre-date the Bible. Perhaps these ideas, rather than being the word of a deity, are simply sound ideas for interacting peacefully with other humans?

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: Simple So Probably Wrong [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7455715 - 09/26/07 01:12 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It's easier for a camel to enter the eye of a needle then for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. With the right heart it's never a passive revengeful mentality.

The goal of the fortunate and the unfortunate are the same. The Bible just says that it's harder for the fortunate to find the goal.

Like someone with two perfectly working legs doesn't appreciate them as much as someone who has no legs. So the one with no legs understands how important legs are to walking, while the one with legs doesn't.

Like someone with everything in life happening exactly the way they wanted it to doesn't appreciate the idea of God and giving themselves over to faith. And because I'm saying that God is all that matters then... someone who isn't having a good life is going to reach the goal of finding God more easily.

Invisibleaccountant
Stranger
Female User Gallery
    #7455723 - 09/26/07 01:15 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The sound ideas for interacting peacefully with other humans would be God then. The fact that that there is a sound idea and an unsound idea means there is a right way and a wrong way.

I'm saying that anything that is the right way is God. Why couldn't a collection of humans interacting and finding what's successful be rephrased as finding God's intentions? same thing you're just not calling what happens God

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7455725 - 09/26/07 01:15 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I believe that The Bible is truth. I believe this because it makes me feel good.

I believe Masturbation is truth. I believe this because it makes me feel good.:crazy2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#7455728 - 09/26/07 01:16 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Faith and doubt go hand in hand.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #7455729 - 09/26/07 01:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

And what exactly brings you closer to something that shows no signs of existence?
For example... you have a map that has pointers that can lead you to a specific place that you desire, and by following those instructions you get there.
Well you can't say the same thing about god, since god... does not exist... or does not make his presence felt in any way.
Then how can you determine what's bringing you closer to him?

What I wanted to say before, was that all this story in which the bible tells you that the less fortunate, the homeless, disabled, and the like, will receive extra attention or from god and a special place in heaven, has an obvious purpose. And the purpose is merely social. It's about aligning people in order, keeping them quiet, hoping and obeying authority.
It's also a very unhealthy method to look at life.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7455730 - 09/26/07 01:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

So God is a foul-weather friend?  :wink:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7455731 - 09/26/07 01:19 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

accountant said:
The sound ideas for interacting peacefully with other humans would be God then. The fact that that there is a sound idea and an unsound idea means there is a right way and a wrong way.

I'm saying that anything that is the right way is God. Why couldn't a collection of humans interacting and finding what's successful be rephrased as finding God's intentions? same thing you're just not calling what happens God

Why should I call it God? If it can be explained adequately in the absence of a deity, why over-elaborate?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale