Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehighc
creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: maryland
biggest casing ever
    #7454244 - 09/26/07 01:19 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

my friend is about to make a casing its actually a custom tub measuring 20' by 20' by 24"deep how much substrate would you suggest. he has inoculated 85 quart size rye jars. think thats enough. takin into consideration some may get contams. he is going to case usin the 50/50+

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleimpeachme2
AmateurMycologist
 User Gallery

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: highc]
    #7454365 - 09/26/07 02:16 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

24" deep?

A substrate should only be so deep. A substrate over 6" thick would be inefficient, since it probably wouldn't be able to network nutrients efficiently beyond that depth.

--------------------
tradelist

Edited by impeachme2 (09/26/07 02:18 AM)

OfflineTactile Tunafish
New to Myco
Female User Gallery

#7454367 - 09/26/07 02:17 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

how do you plan  to FAE a tub that big ?

cause that is HUGE !!!!:discodance:

--------------------
----
TTF
and my head is fifty feet high -let my body and soul be my guide

<david byrne from "Glass Concrete and Stone" on Grown Backwards>
93/93

Invisibleimpeachme2
AmateurMycologist
 User Gallery

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: Tactile Tunafish]
    #7454381 - 09/26/07 02:29 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Your friend also may wan't to look into spawning. It's much cheaper, and more practical on many levels.

--------------------
tradelist

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: biggest casing ever [Re: impeachme2]
    #7454394 - 09/26/07 03:00 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

one contam is all it takes ..

very unwise to do something in these dimensions.

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineIolaa
iolaa, not lolaa
Loc: Humco
Re: biggest casing ever [Re: ohmatic]
    #7454416 - 09/26/07 04:14 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

where the HELL are you keeping this thing?

it's gunna contam. it's gotta. i mean. shit.

Offlinebuddyboy
Stranger
    #7454492 - 09/26/07 05:39 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I'd like to see him pick the mushrooms in the middle of the case. Is he going to suspend himself over it like Rick Moranis searching for his shrunken kids?

OfflinePhreakr
Exploration of Space

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: buddyboy]
    #7454498 - 09/26/07 05:44 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

haha... i say do it!!! and then show us pics... I for one would absolutely love to see a 20'X20' ANYTHING related to do with Shrooms! hahaha... hope it works out n you get pound size shrooms in the middle! haha... awesome to see.

--------------------

I'm After some Panaeolus Cyanescens, PM me to trade.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #7454506 - 09/26/07 05:49 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i do not recommend it.
I spawned 200 pounds of shit in a kiddie pool and it contaminated with the green after about 15 days, and i had to take it outside.
it did produce copious mushrooms but this is not going to work the way you want it to.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlineyepyepyep
Stranger
Re: biggest casing ever [Re: Phreakr]
    #7454511 - 09/26/07 05:52 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Totally cool idea in theory, completely crazy in theory. As has already been mentioned. The contams are almost certainly going to ruin things.

It occurs to me that you might have the best chance of pulling this off outside - where the contams might not claim the casing. Just a thought.

85 jars is a massive amount of time invested setting up, administrating and whatnot. I wouldn't be putting all your eggs in one basket!

But if you do do it.. please post pics!

Offlinehighc
creator
Male User Gallery

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: yepyepyep]
    #7454715 - 09/26/07 07:29 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

hes not using the whole 24" obviously. his basement is all concrete. and about contams i dont see any differnece from any other bulk grow as long as he gets one flush he will be set. good question on how he will pick from the middle i think he is only doing one flush of brazilian. maybe more dont know. and he is not doing fae by hmself he has this very sophisticated well set up system for it. pics will be available.

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #7454778 - 09/26/07 07:48 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't use a tub larger than a large mortar/cement mixer if I was you...
believe me those are large enough.

and I've done thick bulk grows and anything over 8" thick doesn't work out too well.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: biggest casing ever [Re: Roadkill]
    #7454889 - 09/26/07 08:32 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

he should deff do a poo spawn instead, he would of saved ALOT of money if he's just bought some spawn substrate

i would suggest doing layers
like lay down some good poo substrate, put like 20 of his rye jars on that, add some more poo, add like 20 more rye jars, add more poo, and so on

i think that might be the only way to beat the contams
LOTS of innoc points

--------------------

Edited by anarchOi (09/26/07 08:34 AM)

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: anarchOi]
    #7455037 - 09/26/07 09:22 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

there are a series of logistical issues with creating bulk substrates that large, the most obvious one about contaminates having already been mentioned, allow me to outline a couple others...

1 - contamination cost. If you lose a several dishpan sized trays to contaminates you're out several pounds of substrate and maybe 2-4 quarts of colonized grains. The cost of losing a single, super-large tray can be rather discouraging (to the tune of several hundred dollars)

2 - disposal. Regardless if it contaminates, at some point you're going to have to find a way to dispose of all the spent substrate and just throwing it in the backyard isn't always viable because even completely spent substrate will occasionally "surprise" you by throwing off a couple late bloomers, or worse, it can begin colonizing your dump site. If you have a large, secluded property this might not be an issue, but it's something to consider.

And if you can't dump it there, and you have to transport it to dump - which many people do - it can still look rather conspicuous when you're attempting to haul several hundred pounds of material in construction grade garbage bags. Neighbors will think you're disposing of bodies, lol.

3 - Environment management. Large grows like this often expect the entire room to become the greenhouse and that is very difficult to maintain in terms of contaminate management and basic environmentals. And remember, the most "naturally suitable" the location seems the more likely it is that contaminates have had years to settle in and lay dominance to the area.

And even if it's not already infested with various other types of contaminates it soon will be because you'll be setting the stage for their optimal growth environment as well. Even RR's had to deal with having his grow rooms become infested with black-mold and various other nasties over the years.

4 - and this one might be the most relevant... Should your grow ever be discovered, not only will you not have the agility to "shut it down" at a moment's notice but you'll also be very hard pressed when facing charges of mass distribution. This means that anyone who has any knowledge of your endevours becomes a *HUGE* potential liability. And that's just way too much stress for me to have to deal with...

---
Not that I'm saying it can't be done, but it definitely strikes a chord that you're trying to put all your eggs in one basket on this one. I wish you all the best but hope you'll decide to tune down your ambitions.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: mycocurious]
    #7455119 - 09/26/07 10:10 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

That being said, to answer your very specific question, here's the math...

---
(four inches of depth guesstimated for casing material)
Tray = 240" x 240" x 24" (in inches)
Tray = 1,152,000.00 cubic inches

OK, I give up, in order to maintain a decent 4::1 ratio of substrate to spawn you'll need 4987 quarts of rye grain spawn material. Only using 85 quarts will only give you a 281::1 ratio of substrate to spawn. That just won't work.

---
Let's assume that you only make your substrate depth six inches, after all, there's no real benefit making it any deeper than that because it takes too long to colonize and doesn't produce any better quality or quantity (or weight) of fruits.

Tray = 240" x 240" x 6" (in inches)
Tray = 345,600 cubic inches
Rye Required = 86,400 cubic inches / 1496 quarts

Now, that's kind of a misnomer because when we load up our spawn jars we typically only load them up about 2/3rd full to allow room for agitating / shaking. So if you were to go by that measurement, that would really require 1994 jars to make it through colonization.

----
In terms of substrate, you would then need...

Substrate = 259,200 cubic inches (total volume - required rye spawn)
Substrate = 5.5 cubic yards
Casing Mix = 240" x 240" x 4"
Casing Mix = 230,400 cubic inches
Casing Mix = 4.938 cubic yards

-----
In terms of weight, the easiest way I can imagine to guesstimate this would to use a gallon of water as the metric - considering that all of the substrate and casing mixture needs to be hydrated to field capacity anyways. Although keep in mind this number is going to be on the light side because the actual weight of the substrate and casing material will be more.

1 gallon of water = 8.34 lbs.
12.45 cubic yards = 2,514.58 gallons
20,971.60 lbs
-or- 10.48 tons

---
So, you'll need 1.85 cubic yards of contaminate free spawn grains, 5.5 cubic yards of substrate and 5.0 cubic yards of casing material and that'll only fill up your tray about half way. Remember what I said about disposal being impractical...?

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlinewutang
fungi
 User Gallery

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: mycocurious]
    #7455127 - 09/26/07 10:12 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

good luck, your gonna need it

--------------------
:peyotespectrum:    :sanpedro: :rainbowdrink: :tripping:

Offlinehighc
creator
Male User Gallery

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: wutang]
    #7455174 - 09/26/07 10:29 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

update on this my friend will actually be doing 100 seperate grows inside the large one. he has inoculated 85 more rye jars. he will put two quarts in each tub the remaining 15 tubs are going to be some testing shit. anyway he is doing 20 horse poo 20 50/50+ 20 sheep poo 20 coir and 5 will be powdered rye to do cakes. all tubs will be set on a huge swivel in the big tub. cant wait to get pics

--------------------

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
    #7455188 - 09/26/07 10:33 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

you're gonna like brazillians
i suggest a clone from a dense pinset though

--------------------

Offlinewutang
fungi
 User Gallery

Re: biggest casing ever [Re: anarchOi]
    #7455216 - 09/26/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

dude how many grams did you eat? i never shroomed that bad.
but then again, the most i had was 3 grams dried.
only seeing vortex in the sky and feeling i was floating on acid.

--------------------
:peyotespectrum:    :sanpedro: :rainbowdrink: :tripping:

OfflineIolaa
iolaa, not lolaa
Loc: Humco
Re: biggest casing ever [Re: wutang]
    #7455427 - 09/26/07 11:42 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

just pondering the logistics gives me a major headache. good luck though. pic puleeease.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order