Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong
    #7450894 - 09/25/07 08:39 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Okay i think i messed up my 14 jars of rye... due to either over pcing the jars or pced over 15psi or too long... help??

After letting my rye soak for 48hrs in 50/50 water/coffee, i boiled that water for 10 minutes and while it was still boiling i dupmed that through the strainer and did all what the tek said...
I then loaded my jars and noticed that the rye was not dried completely, so i emptied each jar one by one and dried the rye a little more. then i placed the lids, tyvek and rings on, then added aluminum foil.. next i loaded my 16 quart and my 4 quart pcs.. started them up and waited till my 4 quart realesed steam and turn the stove down half way and did the same for my other pc...
well, i pced for 120 minutes. waited for the pc to depressure and cool down for 4 hours. then i opened the small pc and found the grains had shrunk and turned dark brown they definitley do not look like they did when i loaded the jars.. i think i may have over pced them.. they look just like they did when i bought the grains but bigger. so i think i over did the pc..

With that said i read the pc manual twice. what did i do wrong?

i thought once the rocker starts rocking you turn down the gas down till the rocker rocks slowly.. does that mean it should barely rock with hardly any noise or rocks with some noise but not loud?? or should i go by the noise of the steam coming out? cause i cannot tell when i go over 15 psi or what i did wrong...

as for my 4 quart pc the rocker doesnt move like my 16quart pc.. it just reales steam but you can hear the steam come out depending on how high the gas is.. so i am not sure how to tell when i hit 15 psi with that pc... but my 16quart has the weights you interchange to pick out what psi you want...

I Have an idea though.. I know someone that makes there own beer and they have an old voltage meter that doesnt read the volts any more, it just measures temps, it has a probe and can withstand 200 degree temps... he gave me the meter and the probe and some very good bonding agent, its not glue forgot what its called but dries hard as a rock but he said to attach the probe to the outside of the pc like in the middle of the pc with the bonding agent and i could use that to see the temp its at when pcing.. cause i thought we do not wanna go over 170 degrees right? also, does anyone know of a picture here in the shroomery that shows over pced rye? thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaspore
myconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: tony8404]
    #7450948 - 09/25/07 09:03 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I have had this happen to some of my grains, they should be okay to use I believe, even if they aren't very 'wet' loooking, there is still moisture inside them. Sometimes you get faster colinization with dryer grains.Also, if you are getting these results, your pressure cooker is working fine. Try to boil your grains a little bit more next time, untill about 5 in every spoonful are 'split' open from excess moisture.

I say knock one up, if it works go with the rest. If it doesn't work, dump out your grains and resoak and re-boil them.

!asp☼re

--------------------

c        l        i      c        k        m        e

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: tony8404]
    #7450953 - 09/25/07 09:04 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like the rocker was rocking properly and maintaining the pressure at 15 psi, but you just PCd for too long. I do WBS jars for 60 minutes. I assume that works for rye as well.

If I'm not mistaken at 15 psi the inside of the PC should be around 250 degrees F.

--------------------

Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
    #7450959 - 09/25/07 09:06 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

15 psi is 250 degrees man that probe isn't gonna do anything if it can't read over 200. Do you have a pic of what your jars look like? I've never hasseled with using coffee so I can't comment on what that makes the rye look like but normally once its out of the PC w/o coffee they kernels look the same just about twice the size.

All I can say is if your worried about it is just put spores in a few of the jars and see what happens so you don't waste all your spores. You should know in a few days if its going to contam or not.

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

Offlineaspore
myconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: disturbed]
    #7450994 - 09/25/07 09:18 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It's not an issue of contaminants, it's moisture.

Just shoot up one jar, and let us know. I think it will be fine.

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: disturbed]
    #7451001 - 09/25/07 09:22 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

sorry guys off the top of my head the meter reads up to i think 500 degrees i was just saying 200 cause it sounded good i will find out for sure i will ask the guy who gave it to me...

i will take a pic tonight when i get home of the jars... but i did a couple searches on over pcing and i saw a couple jars that looked just like mine before i pced them but no pic yet of what my jars look like after pcing them... but maybe i am good cause i used two pc's last night and all the jars from both pc's looked the same..

also, thought of something else i forgot to mention is this morning before i left i opened the pcs to shake the grains and every jar the rye is clumping/sticking together alot i really shook them and there sticking bad.. isnt that bad?

i watched rr's preview video on youtube and towards the end it shows him shaking or moving the grains in the jar very easily and they didnt clump up like mine are doing now... plus i saw some pics of jars that were in other posts after they were done pcing and mine look nothing like it ... how does one tell if they over pced rye??

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7451318 - 09/25/07 10:52 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

anyone know what over pced rye jars look like or have a pic??? i think something went wrong cause after i boiled and dried my rye it looked like all the other pics i see of rye jars... but after i pced the jars they look totally different .. the grains look like they shrunk and are red dark brown or maybe even carmalized color... also when i shake the rye jars alot of the rye sticks together it doesnt just roll off each other like in rr's preview to his video... i think i am just gonna redo it

Offlinexhooliganx
Munky
Male User Gallery

Loc: reno, nevada
    #7451445 - 09/25/07 11:23 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

how long did you pc for and did you have a trivet to keep the jars off of the bottom?

--------------------

Offlineaspore
myconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: xhooliganx]
    #7451470 - 09/25/07 11:30 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Good rye

colonized in 12 days

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: xhooliganx]
    #7451480 - 09/25/07 11:31 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i pced for 2 hours and yes i had the trivet on the bottom... after i boiled the rye for 10 minutes i did not rinse the grain.. i only rinsed at the begging to get rid of the unwated junk... would that be the reason my rye is sticking together??? is rye supposed to be a different color then before pcing? mine turned out red or dark brown and looks like it shrunk ...

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7451495 - 09/25/07 11:34 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

does your rye look the same as it did before you pc compared to after you pc?

OfflineChi Ro
Jive Ass Turkey
Male

Loc: Right hurr!
    #7451522 - 09/25/07 11:44 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Scrap it and start over. I made this mistake when I first started. What you did was cook your rye to the point where it caked. Either the pressure cooker's temperature went to high or it didn't have enough pressure so it just boiled your rye, possibly due to too high of a moisture content.

That was went wrong with my first try with Rye, sounds like you did the same thing.

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: Chi Ro]
    #7451570 - 09/25/07 11:59 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

should i dry the rye after i strain it through the strainer better next time or should i boil less then ten minutes next time? how did you resolve that?

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: aspore]
    #7451629 - 09/25/07 12:20 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I think you should definitely start over at this point, the amount of time/materials vested at this point is minimal...

Next time use much less coffee and try shorten the soak time...

Now, about your pressure cooking... you should only need to pressure cook for 90 minutes - starting from the first time the pressure reaches 15psi.  And - you have to mind the temperature very carefully until you're fully familiar with your unit on your stove.  You're only supposed to turn the heat down to the point at which it can still keep the pressure without making it constantly vent.  It's a learning practice over time.  And every time I get it down to a science, I move or the wifey wants a new range.  :laugh:

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: mycocurious]
    #7451893 - 09/25/07 01:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

now in rr's tek he says he uses 50/50 water coffee... this past time i used 1 gallon water 1 gallon coffee... when i read his tek is says he uses about 2-3 gallons 50/50.. how much coffee do you use? isnt soaking longer better, i heard it gets even more nasties out ?

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7452306 - 09/25/07 03:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

when following any tek, it's handy to check it's date against more recent posts in the forum. I'm pretty sure he's one who got me off too much coffee in my soak water because it can promote contaminates.

Longer does not always equal better in my humble opinion, and the point of diminishing returns is somewhere around the 36 hour mark...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Last night i ruined 14 rye jars do to my pcing.. can anyone tell me where i went wrong [Re: mycocurious]
    #7452330 - 09/25/07 03:43 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i see.. well i just got three bags of rye berries so i will only soak up to 36 hours this time... how much coffee do you think i should use then if one gallon is too much ? should i use a half gallon of coffee to 1.5 gallon water? how long should i boil for then or is 10 minutes plenty?

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7452362 - 09/25/07 03:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I've only thrown a cup (8oz) of coffee into my soak water, even when making up to 12 cups of rye (1cup to quart jar)

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7452372 - 09/25/07 03:54 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

and when you strain them, after the boil, stand there and fluff them in the colandar to help the steam escape as quickly as possible. The more steam that comes off the grains the dryer they'll be on the outside.

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7452387 - 09/25/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

cool i will try that this time more then i did last time... dont you think 1cup of coffee isnt much>?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract