Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineopensaysme
Be Here Now
Male User Gallery

Loc: NJ-NY area
Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms?
    #7441780 - 09/22/07 08:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

About six months ago my friend had a very odd reaction to a strong trip he was having on mushrooms, either that or some other factor that contributed to it. Im writing this so i could get some input on why it may have happened. If you dont want to read it all skip down to the part im talking about. So here goes:

I was coming down off a beautiful roll around 8PM and just hanging out with my friends P and J. They decided that tonight they would love to trip on some mushrooms they'd been saving and asked me if i would mind being a trip sitter for them, as im the most experienced with psychedelics in our group of friends. I agreed, they took an eighth each, and we proceeded to pack a bong. We chilled for a while and just waited for them to come up. They began to trip and were getting really spun, but having a great time. I put on the Grateful Dead movie and packed a massive bowl and loaded it into my bong. They were having a great time, J & P really got into the animation at the start of the film. After a while we decided to change settings as they seemed to need it, we were in a small dorm and they wanted to go out for a cig anyway.

On our way outside P expressed that he was tripping very hard, and was somewhat confused. I talked him down a little bit and got him to roll with what was happening in his head but i could tell he was still quite confused (understandable for tripping on mushrooms :wink:. When we got outside i saw this look in P's eyes of complete either amazement or shock. He looks at me and asks me "Joe, is the sky supposed to be colored that way?" i asked him what color it was and he responded bright purple. It was around 11PM on a particularly cloudy night and the sky was completely dark black, but I told him that it was a beautiful sky and that we are lucky to be able to view it. He stated that "I'm really confused, i need to sit down" so he did just that, but it was obvious to passers-by that he was fucked up in some way. The problem was we were right outside the dorm building and the security booth had cameras on this area. I let my friend chill for a minute or two and then told him we should probably go inside, that he'd be more comfortable there because i didnt want us to get in trouble. I asked him repeatedly if he was sure he was alright to walk past the guard booth and get on the elevator to go upstairs, he said yes.

*BAD REACTION HAPPENS HERE*
We started walking in and i could see my friend P was in another universe, while J remained cool throughout even though he was also tripping nicely. He would walk really slow, and then too fast. We got past the guard no problem and waited to get on the elevator with a group of people. In retrospect my biggest mistake was getting him on the elevator packed with people, we shoulda waited for the next one. So we're on the elevator, J P and myself, along with maybe 6 other people. I look at P and he is turning very pale, i notice that his eyes arent focusing right and a second later they sorta roll back into his head. He starts to shake violently (i think at this point he had a mild seizure) and is about to fall down, i stepped over to him and held him up so he didn't get hurt. I yelled at him quite loudly and tried to get him to come back as everyone in the elevator was going nuts. I got held him up as people offered to call 911 and other shit, i told them to put their phones away and i would take care of him. We get to the floor and he has stopped shaking at this point but his eyes are unfocused and all over the place. We walked out of the elevator and this guy follows us and says he will help. I tell him to mind his own fucking business and go back to his room, cus i dont want anyone involved until i know he actually needs medical attention. This is when he says, no i will not go to my room, im an RA (for those of you who dont know, RA is a resident assistant and is basically student police ie. they will notify security of any problems). My friend is able to walk now but he's staggering and hes trying to speak but just garble comes out. I tell the RA that my friend will be ok he just needs to get back to his room and lay down. In the half a minute i was speaking to this guy, P starts to try to walk away and make his way back to the room. This does not work, he loses his balance and falls hard on the floor. I pick him up and he just starts running for his room, but he's tilting forward while hes running and he tries to speed up to compensate and get himself upright. Instead he falls over his feet and smacks his head on the corner of the wall right outside his room. The RA is with me the whole time and im just telling him to hold on a minute. We get P into his room, and he falls on the floor in there but seems to be coming around a little, he actually speaks english now. The RA is asking me a million questions and yelling at me, meanwhile my pupils are still massive from the pill i took earlier, and i have to come up with something fast to save my friends ass. I tell him that P has been drinking heavily, bacardi was the culprit, and that he just needs to lay down. He doesnt buy this at first, because now my friend is sitting on his bed acting completely normal hes coherent and is acting like all that shit just didnt happen lol. I convince the RA that all he has done tonight is drink, even though he keeps asking me about drugs. I finally convince him to leave us alone on the condition that i stay with my friend for the night, and that he or another RA will be back to check on us later. Wheeeew that was close.

Now my friend P at this point was acting completely normal, talking fine, didnt even seem to be tripping anymore though i knew he ways due to his quarter sized pupils. I asked him what the fuck just happened and he says that he was seeing intense patterning all over everything upon entering the elevator as well as vertigo and that he blacked out in there. Just some extra info, he had not eaten all day and he had had maybe two beers prior to consuming the mushrooms. My other friend J who was tripping had ran back to his room when we got out of the elevator, pretending to be an innocent bystander. This was a very smart move as he saw i was taking care of P and there was no use bringing another person, especially one whos tripping, into the equation.

So my question is, has something like this ever happened to anyone on shrooms? Does anyone know what may have caused this reaction? And any other feedback would be welcome as well. It just really perplexes me because i have taken high doses of psychedelics yet i've never had a reaction like this, even while i was tripping extremely hard.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnotherDimension
Wanderer in the Land of the Lost

Loc: USA
Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: opensaysme]
    #7441839 - 09/22/07 09:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Stress induced seizure.

Lack of eating all day puts his body in a stressful state. Drinking caused a lack of oxygen to the brain. In his taxed state, the shrooms were enough to put him over the edge of what his system could handle. Lying down with elevated feet reduces stress. Had he been able to do this (when he got pale), the seizure may have been avoided.

He is the responsible one in this situation. Every one should be expected to respect and care for their own body. I'd say you handled it well.

(Edit: fixed typo)

Edited by AnotherDimension (09/25/07 05:57 PM)

Offlinejoekenorer
The Joekenorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pensacola, FL.
    #7441843 - 09/22/07 09:10 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Set and setting mixed with a good ol' endorphin rush on an empty stomach. Thats my diagnosis.

--------------------
My favorites are weeping willows, which aren't really weeping at all. They're very wispy, witty and will dance in the breeze with you. Nothing like a tree that wants to dance with you. Although it doesn't like its thin limbs being pulled at all, it absolutely LOVES it when you walk through them, letting them gently slide over your face and shoulders. If you're naked, the willow considers it to be sex. It will orgasm on your mind and you will blow dream chunks into outer space. All very fun until your neighbor sees you.                                    -The Joekenorer

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
    #7441863 - 09/22/07 09:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Id have to say stress, and possibly a big head rush, standing still in the elivator, after having a cig, with no food, and a bunch of people. Cold be wrong, but i doubt it was an alergy, or a bad reaction. Just a very bad string of events. Id say you handled it very well, and J was very wise to back off.

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Offlineskunkape
earth bound

Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #7441869 - 09/22/07 09:18 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

he could be allergic to elevators

--------------------

Offlineopensaysme
Be Here Now
Male User Gallery

Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: skunkape]
    #7441891 - 09/22/07 09:26 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

stress induced seizure sounds about right, i wasnt sure if that was possible or not. thanks for the input folks, i really appreciate it. on a lighter note, when J ran back to his room he started to bug out a little bit because of the bad events that just went down but not in a bad way he was just confused and a little out of it. he ended up calling like 12 people from his cell phone asking them what to do because he thought his face had become grotesquely swollen on one side hahaha. i went to check with him after P was settled and things had calmed down. he told me how he didnt know what to do to help his face, i laughed and re-assured him his face was fine. he went back to the mirror and realized it was ok and had a great time the rest of his trip lol

Offlineconfusion
ProfessionalNovice
Male User Gallery

Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: skunkape]
    #7441894 - 09/22/07 09:28 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

He should've eaten something light and maybe a lower dose for public. Avoid the public at all costs.

Offlinejoekenorer
The Joekenorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pensacola, FL.
Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: confusion]
    #7442068 - 09/22/07 10:30 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

General public doesn't understand whats going on at all, they will almost have a very skewed idea of the problem and will remember the scene for a while. Keep your future recreations on the dl, ideally with no chance of being put amongst the public again. People know your faces now.

--------------------
My favorites are weeping willows, which aren't really weeping at all. They're very wispy, witty and will dance in the breeze with you. Nothing like a tree that wants to dance with you. Although it doesn't like its thin limbs being pulled at all, it absolutely LOVES it when you walk through them, letting them gently slide over your face and shoulders. If you're naked, the willow considers it to be sex. It will orgasm on your mind and you will blow dream chunks into outer space. All very fun until your neighbor sees you.                                    -The Joekenorer

OfflineMK Ultra
Stranger

Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: joekenorer]
    #7442124 - 09/22/07 10:56 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Mushrooms aren't good for everybody. Some people are sensitive to fungi, like yeasts, molds, and mushrooms, and these sensitivities can cause some STRANGE EFFECTS. I'm horribly allergic to mold, and whenever there's mold in the house or the spore count outdoors is high, I literally feel just like I did on 1 gram of shrooms: there are dots and "neon" colored patterns before my eyes, I'm exhausted, my breathing is labored, and my head pounds.

The setting could have been better to trip in, especially if it was his first time. Too many people and things going on, in my opinion. Riding in an elevator with several people can be stressful to those with anxiety when NOT on drugs, so that may have played a part.

I never took shrooms on an empty stomach. It seems that would make it stronger and possibly more nauseating/physically unpleasant.

Next time, if there IS a next time, go with a lower dose on a full/semi-full stomach in a quiet, relaxed setting with no other drugs in your system. I wouldn't take my chances though, because if that's what his trip was like, why risk repeating it or possibly having something WORSE happen? The body will tell you when you've done something good or bad to it...all you have to do is listen.

InvisibleBirdsIView
Mr. Helms
 User Gallery
Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: MK Ultra]
    #7445472 - 09/23/07 07:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I never like the idea of not eating before having shrooms. Although high doses do make you feel nauseous and with food that raises the possibility of throwing up. Have a snack at least and then eat the shrooms, having an empty stomach just makes shit a lot worse.

OfflineLimerick
a moment ofclarity
Male

Loc: the bark and below it
    #7447864 - 09/24/07 02:11 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i've heard of seizures happening before. I'm not sure how it leads up to that, though.

good story. goddamn the RA!

Offlineopensaysme
Be Here Now
Male User Gallery

Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: Limerick]
    #7448572 - 09/24/07 06:07 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Well truth be told he was nice about it, but he was a complete moron haha. To anyone on here it would've been obvious that my friend P was not drinking, rather that drugs were involved yet this guy had no clue. Stupid people suck, but sometimes they come through in the clutch ha.

OfflineAnotherDimension
Wanderer in the Land of the Lost

Loc: USA
    #7452848 - 09/25/07 06:12 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Well truth be told he was nice about it, but he was a complete moron haha.

Yeah, circumstances really worked out in your favor! I mean, his job is pretty much to ensure the safety and peace of the dorm. So, if someone is having seizures, and he is present, he needs to make sure everyone lives through it. He could face a lot worse than losing his job if serious injury was to come from that.

But you handled it well, and thankfully, his ignorance let you pass off the cause as something else.

--------------------
Another Dimension
---------------------------
"Come, and trip it as ye go,
On the light fantastick toe."

Edited by AnotherDimension (09/25/07 06:13 PM)

Offlinesacred_mushroom
Growing now
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: AnotherDimension]
    #7453267 - 09/25/07 08:13 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Wow.. that's scary.

One of my friends had a similar episode while on and eighth of mushrooms. His eyes rolled back, he collapsed, temperature plummeted.. when he woke up he had no memory of it and he was ungodly pale and chilled for 15-20 minutes.

It's strange, the worst side effect I've ever experienced in my 30+ mushrooms trips is the rank ass gas.. Apparently I've been lucky.

--------------------
Older and wiser, but not old and not wise.

OfflineQualophile
Shpongoloid
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bad Reaction To Psilocybin Mushrooms? [Re: sacred_mushroom]
    #14006225 - 02/22/11 07:57 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I get the "eyes don't focus, all over the place"-thing pretty much on every single one of my trips these days. It hasn't gotten worse than that though. The OVE:s become crazy during that time, and I can launch it at will. Crazy, as in insanely intense - and usually not that pleasant (those are the times when it happens without my control).

On my last trip that started happening, and I'd see this witch-like creature that seemed very malicious for whatever reason. There was all kinds of poltergeist-phenomenon around as well. Thankfully Terence's little green men saved me.

or it might just have been a show they put up for me, either way I enjoyed it.

Sorry for slightly off-topic post.

--------------------
Time is attending somewhere else.

"All experience is a drug experience. We're all on drugs, all the time. That's largely because we're MADE of drugs."
-Dennis McKenna

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract