Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhiterussia
Stranger

tylvek under lid on jar = contam?
    #7440985 - 09/22/07 04:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

So I put the lid over the tyvek and then PC it, will this lead to contams? or increase my chances? I didn't even notice i till 3 days after I had knocked em up and there are signs of growth.

--------------------
When you make your peace with authority, you become authority. - Jim Morrison

The most loving parents and relatives commit murder with smiles on their faces. They force us to destroy the person we really are: a subtle kind of murder. - Jim Morrison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemikeytro
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: tylvek under lid on jar = contam? [Re: whiterussia]
    #7441006 - 09/22/07 04:29 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I believe that is the way it is supposed to be done
should increase chances...what is your substrate?

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein

Invisibledumbfounded1600
Stranger

Re: tyvek under lid on jar = contam? [Re: mikeytro]
    #7441046 - 09/22/07 04:39 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I did that with WBS without Pressure cooking it....it started mycelium on the top of the tyvek (I used pillow case piece) but I got contamination because I didn't PC

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

Re: tyvek under lid on jar = contam? [Re: dumbfounded1600]
    #7441114 - 09/22/07 05:01 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dumbfounded1600 said:
I did that with WBS without Pressure cooking it....it started mycelium on the top of the tyvek (I used pillow case piece) but I got contamination because I didn't PC

pillow cases aren't made out of tyvek...
and you might want to do away with tyvek and move towards micropore covering your gas exchange holes, and silicone covering injection holes.

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Offlinewhiterussia
Stranger

Re: tyvek under lid on jar = contam? [Re: Optx]
    #7441170 - 09/22/07 05:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I do have micropore tape covering my gas exchange hole which is also my inoculation hole. I just thought sense the tyvek was under the lid of the jar that there would be a increased chance of contams.

--------------------

The most loving parents and relatives commit murder with smiles on their faces. They force us to destroy the person we really are: a subtle kind of murder. - Jim Morrison

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: tyvek under lid on jar = contam? [Re: whiterussia]
    #7441177 - 09/22/07 05:19 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

the problem with that is if the tyvek gets wet it will allow contaminates to colonize right though it. Tyvek goes over the metal lid, under the metal ring (the ring holds it in place).

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #7441185 - 09/22/07 05:21 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

If you thought the tyvek would increase the chance of contams, why did you do it? I'm a bit lost.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Offline42zero
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: tyvek under lid on jar = contam? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7441513 - 09/22/07 07:11 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i always do mine with the tyvek under the lid and ive never seen a contam once. As long as you PC the jars i dont see why it would matter.

--------------------
---------------
----------
----
-

Offlinewhiterussia
Stranger

Re: tyvek under lid on jar = contam? [Re: 42zero]
    #7441544 - 09/22/07 07:21 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

well I didn't mean too I just noticed it today and I'm like oh shit but maybe its not such a big problem.

I'm just paranoid because last time I had contams but this time I'm useing LC and better sterile tek so I think I will be okay.

--------------------

OfflineMFGFA37
Me For God ForAll
 User Gallery

Loc: Cheese and Beer
    #7441612 - 09/22/07 07:37 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Why would you put the tyvek under the round lid, then put on the round lid with RTV/silicone, and then the ring? Doesn't seem to make sense... or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are doing. The round lid makes the seal with the jar, the tyvek is then put on-top and compressed with the outer ring.

--------------------
There is no try, only do. -Yoda-

Take no thought for tomorrow, tomorrow shall take thought for itself. Sufficient for one day are the thoughts/worries for that day. Any thought past this is useless. -Ole Jesus-

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

#7444146 - 09/23/07 01:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

whiterussia said:
I do have micropore tape covering my gas exchange hole which is also my inoculation hole. I just thought sense the tyvek was under the lid of the jar that there would be a increased chance of contams.

dude, you don't need tyvek and micropore tape. just use the micropore and get rid of the tyvek, problem solved. except you shouldn't inoculate through micropore - use a blob of silicone on another hole and you have a perfect self-healing injection spot

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Offlinewhiterussia
Stranger

Re: tyvek under lid on jar = contam? [Re: Optx]
    #7444512 - 09/23/07 03:41 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

no, I knocked up pushing through the tyvek and then put the micropore tape over the hole. But the 2 holes and glob of silicone sounds like a good idea.

--------------------

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
    #7444573 - 09/23/07 03:55 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

ive used tyvek extensively, and heres what ive found out...

if tyvek is under the lid, there always seems to be water buildup between tyvek and lid, evident when you press on lid and water comes up from inoculation hole.
this can be absorbed with a paper towel and swabbed with alcohol to make sterile for incoulation.

if you shake only once, and thats after the inoculation, and let it sit without disturbing it, it'll colonize _without_ contamination 90%+ of the time.

if you shake more (i.e. for wedge transfers and the like) .. failure rate suddenly raises drastically. (this is evident from initial perfectly fine colonization of mycelium and 'leap-off' of wedges, but then sudden post first week contamination of all grains throughout)

these are all assuming sterile conditions, cultures, prints, syringes, and methods.

and these are my findings, hope they help.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate