Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinebonghittr
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Best Operating System? [Re: wilshire]
    #7464903 - 09/28/07 04:38 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:
U can run osx on any PC you dont need an apple.

linux is still free, better, and works natively on standard equipment without hacks.

os x is for people who know enough about computers to know they want something better than windows, but not much else. or they're easily swayed by marketing, or image conscious and wealthy, or all of the above.

thanks for the backup on installing osx on PCs

IT IS FACT Mac uses the exact same arhitecture as PCs.

The rteason this happened is IBM wanted to rape appl by forcing them to overpay for the new cpu that ibm developed. Apple decided to say fuck IBM and contracted intel. The only thing extra your are gettin for the 500$ price jump are looks and a name.

Bong

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebmy
Stranger to myself
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: wilshire]
    #7469901 - 09/30/07 10:48 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

GNU/Linux I would say is the best* operative system. However, if you're getting an ibook/macbook I wouldn't really recommend installing a linux system on it, it's a lot of hassle to get everything up and running, and it wount be easy if you're new to the system. It may be a bit easier on the new intel apples, I don't know, but I guess not. However, I would recommend you to buy a non-apple laptop and install ubuntu or any other desktop distro of linux on it.

I've been using linux for a little more then ten years now, and I couldn't be happier with it. As wilshire says - it's stable unless you've got hardware problems (in which case any os would be unstable). And most impotently you're very free in it. I feel like a caged bird when I use windows nowadays. Terrible.

I've also been using OS X the last couple of years, and I must say I like it. I'm doing most work in terminals though, so I don't have much use for all the eye candy. But if you're in to graphical interfaces and eye candy you'll love OS X. Of course, you'll have to pay for it though :/

Oh, and wilshire: I totally agree with your mini banners there! aoeu to you fellow gnu/linux atheist dvoraker!

* best depends on who you are and what you are going to use it for. But I'm guessing you're an average Joe who wants a desktop os.

--------------------

Edited by bmy (09/30/07 10:49 AM)

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: bmy]
    #7472160 - 09/30/07 09:57 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bmy said:
But if you're in to graphical interfaces and eye candy you'll love OS X. Of course, you'll have to pay for it though :/.

You have to pay extra for OS X even if you buy a macbook?

Offlinebmy
Stranger to myself
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: Robo]
    #7472856 - 10/01/07 03:36 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

No no, if you buy a macbook you'll get OS X with it! I ment if you were to buy a non-apple computer and wanted to run OS X, you would have to pay for it. Just as you would if you were to run windows on your macbook.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #7472909 - 10/01/07 04:41 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> You have to pay extra for OS X even if you buy a macbook?

The issue is the price of the hardware.  OS-X comes with Apple Hardware, but Apple Hardware is about 30% over priced compared to a non-Apple equivalent.  However, the non-Apple equivalent will not run OS-X without major hacking as Apple doesn't  want their OS running on non-Apple hardware.

> IT IS FACT Mac uses the exact same arhitecture as PCs.

Unfortunately, your fact is false.  Intel based Apple hardware is very close to the standard PC architecture, but it is not "exact the same".  For example, Intel based Apple hardware does not use standard PC BIOS.  Try executing the machine instructions "CD13" (interrupt 0x13) to access disk IO via BIOS on an Intel based Mac and see how far you get.

Also, your little history of the war between Apple and IBM is also incorrect.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: bmy]
    #7474365 - 10/01/07 02:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bmy said:
No no, if you buy a macbook you'll get OS X with it! I ment if you were to buy a non-apple computer and wanted to run OS X, you would have to pay for it. Just as you would if you were to run windows on your macbook.

Alright, that's what I figured you meant.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #7474823 - 10/01/07 05:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> I ment if you were to buy a non-apple computer and wanted to run OS X, you would have to pay for it

That is still incorrect. OS-X is designed so that it will not run on non-apple hardware. There are hacks that get around this, though they tend to stop working on OS updates.

--------------------

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: Seuss]
    #7475328 - 10/01/07 08:12 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
That is still incorrect. OS-X is designed so that it will not run on non-apple hardware.

Also what I figured. Apple has that whole "aura of prestige" about them, you know? I'm sure they try to stop as many people as they can from running their precious OS X on a non-mac. I'm getting a mac though, so it's all good.

Offlinenihilistism
king of thecastle
Male

Loc: Hernando's Hideaway
    #7475755 - 10/01/07 10:23 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I've recenly made the switch to mac and i love it. I'm going to college for video and motion graphics, and while you can use avid on a windows machine final cut is more commonly used in the industry.

Quote:

Adagio said:
Quote:

Seuss said:
> OSX is best for Graphic Design / Audio and Video Production

Agree completely.

I can't wait to run OSX then, I'd love to mess around with making music. Isn't one of the programs for music production called logic?

yup and final cut is for video. Macs also come with a free music program"garage band" but i think its pretty much crap.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #7476360 - 10/02/07 04:32 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> Apple has that whole "aura of prestige" about them, you know?

It is more a reflection of Steve Jobs' arrogance, I suspect, but yes, I know what you mean (and I find it very annoying as well). In the case of software not working on "wintel" hardware, it is a matter of greed. If I could run OS-X on any PC computer, then I wouldn't pay the 30% extra for Apple hardware putting a big dent in Apple's profits. Personally, I think OS-X is good enough to compete with windows (minus the monopoly power), and that Apple is making a mistake. Of course, I'm not Steve, so what do I know...

--------------------

InvisibleBully
CheapShot-SinisterStrike
 User Gallery
Loc: Pennsyltucky, USA
    #7476742 - 10/02/07 09:15 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

the question of the computer age :shrug:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale