Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Best Operating System?
    #7442539 - 09/23/07 01:33 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I've always been a windows user but am thinking about branching out. I'm getting a new apple laptop hopefully within the coming weeks and have heard nothing but good things about OS X. But what about Linux? What is it and why is it that the real hardcore computer whiz types run it exclusively?

What would you say is the best operating system (IYO)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSymmetryGroup8
It's about theFLOW!
Male

Re: Best Operating System? [Re: Robo]
    #7442780 - 09/23/07 03:29 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Linux runs in O(e^(i*pi))) time!!!

Muwhwhahahaha

--------------------
Be like water my friend!

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#7443010 - 09/23/07 06:17 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Windows is best for Games / Entertainment

OSX is best for Graphic Design / Audio and Video Production

Linux is best for Engineering / Coding / Programming

PCs crash, Macs Bounce! (imo)

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Best Operating System? [Re: Middleman]
    #7443018 - 09/23/07 06:23 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

All hardware crashes, Linux is very good at picking itself up from a crash if it does happen due to various clever designs in the system. It's a nightmare for the casual user to do any of the advanced configuration (and thus unpleasant for my needs, even ubuntu) as everything has such a steep learning curve.

Windows is flawed in so many ways, but it is good for games, so I like it and I'd say it was a little bit easier to configure than linux, not to mention there's only one flavour of windows (as in, when microsoft releases an operating system, you don't have two/200 different versions, which are not compatible with each other) so it's standardised and there's not so much to learn. Wheras linux is a victim of it's open scource success, tricks you learn with one distribution of 'nix are not always applicable to another version.

Mac is faliurecake. It's for those that have more money than sense and think computers should be fashionable and white. I wonder if they're popular with the KKK?

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#7443312 - 09/23/07 08:56 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i made the switch to linux years ago and would never go back to windows.

1) you only have to reboot the machine when you change kernels
2) i have never contracted a virus or spyware while using linux
3) i really enjoy compiz-fusion (look it up on youtube)
4) i like the customability it has
5) i have never felt like i was missing out on programs like some people say. you hear people say they cant use nero to burn programs, but k3b is an awesome linux burning program. people say they cant use itunes, but amarok kills itunes in that it uses powerful database backends and it lets you move music from any ipod to your computer.

there are plenty more reasons to use an open source operating system, but let me just describe how i use my machine to see if it compares to you.

i mostly browse the internet. i run firefox to browse, azureus for bittorrent downloads, pidgin (gaim) for instant messaging, amarok for music, xchat for irc, and vlc to play movies. except for amarok, all those are available for windows. so really, the only thing i have different is the fact that i never contract a virus or any spyware.

i also write and record music using linux. this is an example of a song made in linux. there are also some great video editing and stop motion programs, but i dont really get into that sort of thing.

i would suggest that whatever you decide to try, give it an honest chance. if you had used linux since birth, windows would seem like a hard foreign thing. and if you need any help, feel free to ask here. lots of us use linux

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: Middleman]
    #7443629 - 09/23/07 10:21 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Middleman said:
Windows is best for Games / Entertainment

OSX is best for Graphic Design / Audio and Video Production

Linux is best for Engineering / Coding / Programming

PCs crash, Macs Bounce! (imo)

that may have been true 8 years ago, times have changed.

osx 10.4.10 ftw

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #7443664 - 09/23/07 10:36 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

OS X is better than windows for stability and security, but it's still expensive proprietary closed software that is tied to apple's equally overpriced hardware.

GNU/linux is free, runs on pretty much anything, and is very customizable. i've been using it for a few years now. in that time, i've never contracted any sort of malware, never had stability issues except those caused by hardware, and never felt limited by my choice of software. i can't imagine choosing to use anything else.

you can try GNU/linux without touching your hard drive because a number of GNU/linux based operating system creators make bootable live CDs that allow you to run their OS from your CD drive. it's much slower than running it from your hard drive, but at least you can see what it's about.

the ubuntu install disc functions as a live CD:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: wilshire]
    #7443868 - 09/23/07 11:51 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

you get what you pay for. its not like apple makes crap.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Re: Best Operating System? [Re: snoot]
    #7444205 - 09/23/07 01:56 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

it's not a bad operating system, but you don't get what you pay for.

a mac costs 30% to 40% more than a standard PC with comparable hardware and a free and arguably superior operating system.

--------------------

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
    #7445120 - 09/23/07 06:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

My other thing about switching systems is that I won't be able to have some of the programs I had on windows because they don't make it for OS X.  :frown:

its gonna be tough making the transition, but I just love mac computers and who would run windows on a mac seriously? I don't think I'll go with linux, that will be making too far of a jump from windows, for now I'll just switch to OSX.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#7445128 - 09/23/07 06:25 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Apple is NOT better than Windows for Graphics/Audio. There is absolutely nothing that separates the two now. If you want anything but a hardcore programming environment just run Windows XP.

Linux can do anything in the world except host VSTs to any degree. If you are a serious music producer who uses VSTs then just let Linux go, it's not worth it.

Otherwise Linux is a fantastic operating system and I would recommend Debian 4.0.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7445659 - 09/23/07 08:39 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:

a mac costs 30% to 40% more than a standard PC with comparable hardware and a free and arguably superior operating system.

lol.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #7446716 - 09/24/07 06:27 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> What would you say is the best operating system (IYO)

Depends upon what you are doing. There is no "best" operating system; anybody that claims otherwise is wrong. There are best operating systems for the given task...

> Windows is best for Games / Entertainment

Disagree on the entertainment, but probably agree on the games. Other OS's are starting to make inroads into the game market; both Linux and OS-X. Microsoft answered this threat by telling peripheral manufacturers that if they release the specs for their hardware (which would let free OS' write device drivers), then Microsoft would not allow the hardware to carry a "vista ready" logo. The power of the monopoly at it's best...

> OSX is best for Graphic Design / Audio and Video Production

Agree completely.

> Linux is best for Engineering / Coding / Programming

Almost agree completely. I actually enjoy programming under OSX more than Linux as X-Code (free development suite from Apple for OS-X) is very nice. (It would be even nicer with an embedded vi, but nobody is perfect).

> PCs crash, Macs Bounce! (imo)

Linux is certainly the most stable of the three listed while Windows is the least stable. I reboot my linux boxes about once every three months, just to be safe. I reboot my windows boxes daily, or they crash. I reboot my apple boxes about once a week, as they seem to crash after a few weeks of uptime. If I remember, I reboot my solaris boxes once every couple of years. (I've had over 700 days of uptime on a Solaris server.)

The big thing I don't like about Apple is the cost of their hardware. You pay around 50% more for the Apple logo and the right to run OS-X. I also dislike the apple "snob" persona (read: steve jobs arrogance).

The big thing I don't like about Windows is the monopoly and the cost of their software. It is hard to get an honest (not hacked) version of Windows installed on your system for under $500. (Show me a windows install that is productive and doesn't also include office...) The other big thing I dislike about windows is the "multiuser system created from a single user paradigm" design flaw that allows windows to easily be victim of virus' and spyware. (The windows design is flawed. The "security center" crap in vista shows exactly how flawed the design really is.)

The big thing that I don't like about linux is the lack of structure (or justification) in various aspects of the kernel design. (This is bitching about very low level things that won't effect most people.) Rather than proving something is correct, a lot of stuff in the kernel is simply tossed in "'cause it works". They are getting much, much better, but it has taken decades. I also don't like the "orthogonal" nature of linux... it isn't really unix, it isn't really not-unix, it isn't really sys-V, it isn't really BSD, etc. With BSD, you know where to look, with SYS-V, you know where to look... with Linux, it might be in either of those two locations, or somewhere else, or all three.

> Apple is NOT better than Windows for Graphics/Audio

I work with both every day, and you are mistaken. This coming from somebody that hated mac with a passion before OS-X came out. For graphics, audio, and video production, when money is not a factor, nothing beats a high end apple computer with appropriate software (except, perhaps, SGI... I haven't played with SGI in a long time, so I can't fairly judge).

Nobody has mentioned it, but Plan-9 is another interesting OS. Not very user friendly, but has some very neat concepts that show just how far you can take "the net is the computer" idea.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Re: Best Operating System? [Re: snoot]
    #7448426 - 09/24/07 05:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

huh?

--------------------

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: Best Operating System? [Re: freddurgan]
    #7448685 - 09/24/07 06:36 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

freddurgan said:
Apple is NOT better than Windows for Graphics/Audio. There is absolutely nothing that separates the two now. If you want anything but a hardcore programming environment just run Windows XP.

I agree, with only one slight differing. Final Cut Pro is better than Premiere Pro CS3, but not by much. Premiere is really catching up to FCP in almost all areas.

And I work in both extensively for my job and as a hobby. I have a degree in video production and work in the industry, so I know what I'm talking about... And yes, I work on Macs all day long as well as PCs. Using photoshop or after effects there is no difference between pc or mac...nothing.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: Seuss]
    #7455701 - 09/26/07 01:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> OSX is best for Graphic Design / Audio and Video Production

Agree completely.

I can't wait to run OSX then, I'd love to mess around with making music. Isn't one of the programs for music production called logic?

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #7456570 - 09/26/07 05:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

If you want the most compatibility I would suggest running Windows. If you want performance OSX.
If you want something good and cost effecient Linux.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Offlinebonghittr
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7462321 - 09/27/07 09:46 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:

UHmm macs run on x86 now... not risc like it used to so its not comparable hardware its the exact same hardware. U can run osx on any PC you dont need an apple.

OSX is based on BSD, and the gui sorta has a solaris flavor.

Bong

Edited by bonghittr (09/27/07 09:48 PM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Best Operating System? [Re: bonghittr]
    #7462753 - 09/28/07 12:56 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> U can run osx on any PC you dont need an apple.

Not unless "u" hack it; something beyond the average user.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Re: Best Operating System? [Re: bonghittr]
    #7464828 - 09/28/07 04:13 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

U can run osx on any PC you dont need an apple.

linux is still free, better, and works natively on standard equipment without hacks.

os x is for people who know enough about computers to know they want something better than windows, but not much else. or they're easily swayed by marketing, or image conscious and wealthy, or all of the above.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder