Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
POLL: Do you believe in Aliens?
    #741724 - 07/12/02 01:00 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

With all the endless talk about aliens I thought it would be interesting to see what the numbers were on believers and disbelievers. Nationally, I read that almost 60% of American's believe in them...I am interested to compare this to the Shroomery numbers. I don't think the numbers have a thing to do with the validity of Aliens or not, but it would be definitely interesting. Enjoy!

Do you believe in Aliens?
Yes, I believe in Aliens.
No, I don't believe in Aliens.
I don't necessarily believe in them, but I don't necessarily NOT believe in them. I entertain the possibility.

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 05:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: Shroomalicious]
    #741767 - 07/12/02 01:18 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Arent we?

--------------------
its all placebo

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #741770 - 07/12/02 01:20 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

It depends on your definition.

OfflineShroomalicious

Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #741795 - 07/12/02 01:30 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Technically, I think we would only be considered Aliens to beings not from Earth...Either way I hope everyone understands what I mean...Extraterrestrails.

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#741819 - 07/12/02 01:37 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I like the third one because it isn't demanding.

Though I do feel like typing tonight...

I think it would be foolish to assume that there is no other life anywhere (or anytime, if you want to add another dimension) but I have a hard time believing we will actually ever come in contact with it. Shroomism, it's not that I don't trust you, but I just watched A Beautiful Mind...

/me eyes alien seeing people curiously.

Honestly, I wish I could believe in something like this wholeheartedly. By that, I mean I wish I had a reason to believe in something like this wholeheartedly.

--------------------

Edited by Ulysees (07/12/02 01:39 PM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: Ulysees]
    #742018 - 07/12/02 02:39 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

/me eyes you back.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#742025 - 07/12/02 02:42 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

my thought would be somewhere between just entertaining the idea and saying yes...

i can't say yes because i haven't encountered anything to make me a believer, but i find it hard to believe that in this entire universe, we are the only form of intelligent life.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: Smack31]
    #742242 - 07/12/02 04:04 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Disregarding "contact" experiences for a moment (even Streiber of "Communion" fame, could not state that they were from another planet), it is scientifically impossible to extrapolate from a sample size of one - the Earth.

Now if we actually understood what causes water and mineral to metamorph into life, then we could make an educated guess by looking for similar conditions elsewhere. Yes, we can make amino acids, the precursors to life, in a beaker, but cannot get to the next step.

If we found even one simple microbe on another planet, then the chance for complex alien life is very good. (The Mars meteor microbe report is HIGHLY suspect!). Until such time, speculation may be fun, but it leads nowhere.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (07/12/02 08:42 PM)

OfflineShroomalicious

Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: Swami]
    #742359 - 07/12/02 05:10 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

To me, we KNOW that life exsists in the Galaxy because here we are, Earthlings. So, if we know that life can be created then...

If we found even one simple microbe on another planet, then the chance for comlex alien life is very good. (The Mars meteor microbe report is HIGHLY suspect!). Until such time, speculation may be fun, but it leads nowhere.

Actually, wasn't this totally debunked as nothing more than interesting looking? I am not positive but I thought they proved that it definitely wasn't microbes or microbe fossils.

--------------------

Anonymous

#742388 - 07/12/02 05:21 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

What are you crazy? Aliens? Pffft

Offlinebreathingofmist
The shadowwarrior, and thewarrior's shadow
 User Gallery

Loc: Dissonance
    #742399 - 07/12/02 05:25 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

What in the world is an alien?! I might have to chase you down for talk like that.

--------------------

"Breathing of mist, soul enshrouded, I am just... an Illusion"

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: breathingofmist]
    #742401 - 07/12/02 05:25 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I think we humans are the aliens.

Anonymous

#742459 - 07/12/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The real question is, do aliens believe in you?

OfflinemrMagik
Wisdom God
Loc: Amazon
Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: ]
    #742631 - 07/12/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I believe theres other "living" organisms in our solar system and all the other solar systems that exist. If you want to put a name on it such as "aliens" then my answer is yes. The outer space as we know it and what ever we don't know is so HUGE that we would have to be ignorant not to think theres other life in space other than us

All the standard U.F.O pics with the plain matalic saucer is something I truely don't believe in though, these saucers seem like the most typical thing a human being could think of for an alien's transpertation. Thats my 2 cents.

--------------------

war=no good!

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: Swami]
    #742726 - 07/12/02 07:40 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The chances of intelligent life developing is extremely unlikely compared to microbe life. I don't doubt there's widespread microbe life throughout the universe but intelligent life is another matter. In the human case it took a series of incredibly unlikely chances.

The other big problem with intelligent life is that it seems likely to destroy itself. The dinosaurs lasted 140 million years, humans have had around 150 years of serious industrial development and have brought themselves and the planet to the brink of self-destruction. Are we going to last another 140 million years?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineShroomalicious

Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: ]
    #742944 - 07/12/02 09:56 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The real question is, do aliens believe in you?

Why is that anymore the question than this?

--------------------

Offlinellib
journeyman
Loc: florida
Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: Ulysees]
    #743899 - 07/13/02 02:40 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

A brilliant movie. I think, however, it idd a diservice to those who have 4th dimensional "gifts" abilities. Not only do I agree that, we are probably very naive if we believe that there are no other living entities in the univers. I dont remember the exact numbers but from a statitistical standpoint, an astronomer pointed out that there is a probability of having one million of planets with life form.

I am of teh opinion, that as a life form we are very very young, naive and it bothers me to hear how evolved we all think we are technologically speaking. If you look at life form on this planet and look at homo sapiens and then the time that it took to develop the plane, it indicates that we might have just been born. Other extraterrestials, may not be interested in our civilization until it evolves further. If one assumes that most of our advances have been in the last 100 years compared to the length of homo erectus being here, one million or so years, homo sapiens, 250,000k or so and homo sapiens/sapiens 25k or so, and it took us that long to develop a plane or a radioa, this suggests to me that we are ver very young as a planet with life compared to other planets, the million or so that might have life form.

Just a thought

Anonymous

Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: llib]
    #744015 - 07/13/02 04:12 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well said

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #744025 - 07/13/02 04:17 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Wait a second here, many of you say that it's foolish or ignorant for people not to think aliens exist somewhere in the universe, but remember the estimates astronomers give are only probabilities. A probability implies there is a chance of something NOT happening or being true, so please don't paint others as ignorant based upon their opinions.

OfflineShroomalicious

Re: POLL: Do you believe in Aliens? [Re: chodamunky]
    #744034 - 07/13/02 04:27 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Chodamunk you replyed to one of my messages but when did I EVER say that people who didn't believe in Aliens are ignorant?

I never, ever said that...I don't think I implied that, and if I did I am truly sorry. I respect everyone's opinions equally I do believe in Aliens but I DON'T think people who don't believe in Aliens are anymore ignorant than I am. Okay?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder