Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Panaeolus Subbalteatus?
    #739976 - 07/11/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Found some of these at work tonight,spore print is jet black.I?m hoping they?re Panaeolus Subbalteatus..Any one?

Sorry for the crappy picture.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewHunter
help
Loc: Washington
Re: Panaeolus Subbalteatus? [Re: Pinhead]
    #739980 - 07/11/02 05:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

they fit the discription of pan subbs, do they have any bruising on them, i have heeard they dont always bruise blue. I think they are subs but wait for someone else to confirm it.

--------------------
RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Re: Panaeolus Subbalteatus? [Re: NewHunter]
    #739986 - 07/11/02 05:06 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

No bruising that I could see.Its hard to tell from the pic,but the caps are small..about a 1/2 inch or less across.

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
    #740573 - 07/11/02 11:39 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

From what I read, the spore print is supposed to be brown. I have some growing wild in my yard that I think are Pan subs and the spore print is very dark brown almost black. Purple is no good. As mine age the print gets darker and darker as do the gills. Yours look pretty mature so the print could be almost black. They look good in the photo, but I'm not 100% sure so wait for a more experienced person to answer. I think you're very close.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #740639 - 07/12/02 02:06 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Look like Panaeolina foenisecii and are not psychoactive. the stems are too long and thin to be panaaolu subbalteatus.
As also are the caps which appear to all be the same equal size.
mj

Anonymous

Re: Panaeolus Subbalteatus? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #740748 - 07/12/02 04:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Panaeolus Subbalteatus? [Re: ]
    #740787 - 07/12/02 04:46 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

HI, Well they could be another panaeolus shroom if the prints are black.

foenisecii has chocolate brown to dark purple brown.

However the shrooms do not really resemble the Pn. subs.

I can tell you it is not olivaceus which has a definite umbo on it and it is not Pn. retirugis.

AS for the shroomery's analysis, several were done on Panaeolina foenisecii and reported very minute amounts of psilocine/psilocybine, however these reports are most likely due to false positives and also to mixed collections.

When many shrooms are deposited as a single species. IT has been know that they can have other shrooms inthe collection.

Many Copelandia collections have shown numerous specimesn of Panaeolus sphinctrinus and Panaeolus antillarum. This is common with most untrained collectors to find mixed collections.

Many people [pick the Copelandias from manure and do not notice that they have also collected specimens of Panaeolus sphinctreinus.
Remember one thing, P. foenisecii is a lawn mushroom nick-named the 'hay mowers" mushroom. IT does not grow in manure.

ANd P. subs are rare in lawns. Usually a few obnly.

mj

I have been meaning to talk to Thor about a little more correction in the FAQ at the shroomery. There are still some errors in it which should be corrected, however I do not currently have the time to correct them right now.

As for the Panaeolina.s read my paper at my sight on the observations of this mushrooms= and its subsequent chemical analysisis of hundreds of speciemsn, all of which where 99% negative.

mj

Anonymous

#740801 - 07/12/02 05:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #741023 - 07/12/02 07:21 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

A point in mind, Mr. Mushroom,

Every year, for some reason or other, Not sure which? I like to show people several images of magic mushrooms, including those of a poisonous nature.

So, when showing these images I always show pictures of Galerina autumnalis, a most deadly species of fungi containing amatoxins similar to those found in the deadly Amanita species.

What I find interesting is that 90 percent of everyone I show those Galerina pictures too have informed me that they ate those mushrooms too and had a great time.

It also compares with all of those shroomers who claim the mushrooms turn purple.

Well purple is the color of the spore deposit on the Psilocybe mushrooms and is a charateristic of the genera Psilocybe. However, the shrooms turn and/or stain blue, and I have heard people look at bluing mushrooms and say look its turning purple.

I also find that many pickers also say that the spores are black when they are actually a chocolatee brown. Very little purple is seen on the gills.

Many pickers also say the gills turn blue., when in fact they arre the colors of the sporeprints.

ANyway,The most disturbing aspect of misidentification comes when people who have no knowledge tel lyou they think its a ..... blajh blah blah.

Anyway, Panaeolina foenisceii is so common and many people pick and think it is subbalteatus.

One good way of learning this species is too observe the unusual design and shape of the small caps from the gill side.

Usually they are not a uniformed round cap and an incurved margin is extremely rare in that particular shroom.

It will be three quarters of a compleat circle and then a straight horizontal line connecting the circle.

Check other images of this species to see the bottom of the gills so you can observe the unusual shape of the cap.

Mj

IF I find one image I will post it here for you

Anonymous

#741104 - 07/12/02 08:10 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
    #741448 - 07/12/02 10:16 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Precisely why I try to never say a mushroom is ...blah... for sure, there are so many factors to consider when making an ID...sometimes it takes me a good long while...when I have the sporeprint and mushroom in front of me...and even then sometimes I can only narrow it down to genus.

As for these mushrooms, if the sporeprint is truly black than you mostly likely have an active pann of some sort. As for type, there are so many similarities between, the active ones..could be castaneifolius.

Also I have this year mostly found subbs growing in lawns, only in newly planted sod however, which has been really fertilized over top a layer of topsoil and manure...never in regular, older lawns. They were never as plentiful as castaneifolius, or olivacious, microsporius, and others. Also found growing in these super lawns were papillonacious (not many), a couple of other active panns...could not fully identify...unless they were just varieties of some others.

Many showed blueing at the base, where the mycelium met the stipe.

Found many foenescii too...and I most likely even have a few of the really buig ones mixed in with the others..but not many.

I found my best bioassay came from about 8 large mixed panns...what an experience, i have yet to duplicate as intense an experience dry...pretty sure need to ingest more...and chew them like I did the fresh ones.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Offlineflanders53
enthusiast
Loc: NY
Re: Panaeolus Subbalteatus? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #741594 - 07/12/02 11:33 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

They look alot like the subbs I find around here. Especially the one in the top left corner. I'd say they are subbs..but mjshroomer disagrees, and he probably has more experience than I. I say eat 'em, if they are Panaeolinas then the worst that could happen is you don't trip..if they're subbs you're in for a wild ride!!

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Panaeolus Subbalteatus? [Re: flanders53]
    #742507 - 07/12/02 06:02 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If they are foenescii...actually the best that could happen is that you should feel happy, content and at peace with yourself. Even though they won't help you trip...they are a good source of 5htp and other chemicals related and precursors of seratonin...which make you feel good. So I would say they are a medicinal mushroom...which is also cool.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineNewHunter
help
    #742735 - 07/12/02 07:44 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

in the photo it just look slike the stems are fater then the panilonia(sp) this is what make sme think they are subs! take a pic with something to compare size

--------------------

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Re: Panaeolus Subbalteatus? [Re: NewHunter]
    #743750 - 07/13/02 12:44 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, these are from the same patch in the lawn (Michigan)
They had a band(darker brown) arond the rim of the cap that is?nt visible now for some reason. I did send a print to Mr.Mushroom..Hopefully he can tell me more about them.

Edited by Pinhead (07/13/02 12:54 PM)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #743888 - 07/13/02 02:26 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I say active panns...they certainly look like the north eastern varieties I get around here. You also said black sporeprint...should be no problems...reddish stems are also characteristics of the subbs up here...

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

OfflineNewHunter
help
    #744370 - 07/13/02 07:44 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

now that i see a better size comparison i think it is the panilonias(sp) i just thought the stems looks fatter!

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #744792 - 07/14/02 04:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yeap, judging by the size they surely look like pan. foenisecii.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Anonymous

#744855 - 07/14/02 05:23 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Anonymous

#750491 - 07/16/02 08:34 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder