Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
spponing out a small casing contam....
    #743491 - 07/13/02 09:27 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Im going to go ahead and ask this stupid question anyways..even though i know the answer to it.

My terrarium has 2 small cakes and a casing in it. Been fruiting in the high humidity for 3 dayz now.
cakes r fine. casing, at first, showed a small slimey white spot around near the edges. Then a a day\
later, green mold formed inside that spot and it had that outer white slimey ring. The contaminated
area is really small. Heres the stupid question>>>can u spoon that part out and still go ahead with things
and get a healthy flush/growth? And will the cakes be affected by this travesty?

I'll have the pics d/loaded as soon as my friend gets back into town, since i have no idea on
how to d/load pics =[

Thx to all

sBUD

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: sBUD]
    #743509 - 07/13/02 09:39 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Edited by Macey Howard (07/13/02 09:42 AM)

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Macey Howard]
    #743511 - 07/13/02 09:41 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

OfflineJohnnyR
mi cixelsyd

Loc: a hot place
Re: spponing out a small casing contam.... [Re: Macey Howard]
    #743564 - 07/13/02 10:27 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You are a mycologist and the only way to learn is to experiment...

--------------------
-----------------------------------------

OfflineKilla420
Alien Lover
Male User Gallery
Loc: Down South
Re: spponing out a small casing contam.... [Re: JohnnyR]
    #743657 - 07/13/02 11:49 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You can spoon it out but it will always come back. I did this one time, so that I could get at least a first flush and that was it. The mold always came back, I even tried squirting alcohol, h2o2, and bleach but that shit is strong and always returned. I had to chunch the casing after 1 flush.

Offlinefrank_grimes
Warrior of Corporate Bullshit
 User Gallery

Loc: Springfield, USA
Re: spponing out a small casing contam.... [Re: Killa420]
    #743678 - 07/13/02 11:57 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I have to agree with Killa420, everytime I've tried to beat the evil green, it only comes back stronger and eventually wins.

-Grimey

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: frank_grimes]
    #743700 - 07/13/02 12:15 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: spponing out a small casing contam.... [Re: Macey Howard]
    #743720 - 07/13/02 12:30 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

i almost forgot to add this part and this is what got me. If u pick up the casing tray and look REAL close (to the point where ya nose is beneath the tray, u can see tiny, very tiny black spots on top of the mycellium and they are everywhere. I dont know if i can zoom in close enuff to get a pic of it but i will try.

Moe, i dont have the pics on disk. I just developed them so if u know how a simple mind like me can transfer that pic on disk im all earz!

I think i will spoon it out and try like u guyz said but how deep into the casing should i go? should i just remove that whole area -top to bottom that way it looks like some1 took a slice out of it? K moe i'll post in the contam forum next time. srry about that!

sBUD

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: spponing out a small casing contam.... [Re: sBUD]
    #745500 - 07/14/02 01:09 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Heres what happne after i spooned it out.
Luckily there was NO green mold INSIDE but the next morning, holy shit...i think it's time for the casing to go NOW!!! I spooned out from top to bottom.(inside just looked like normal casing material) and when i checked today, there was another white slimey (??) spot , 2 of them, and this time they were on TOP of the mycellium and not on the verm casing.(the uncolonized part) No green on that but i imagine tommorow there will be. And the inside of the casing is now white with mycellium, here and there. Funny how it wasnt there when i spooned that area out and the next day there is. I think if i dissected it , I would find mold inside. And it is slowly spreading. Im throwing it out tonite b4 the other cakes get infected

Pics will be up asap, and hopefully i can get an opinion and if any1 knows what it is.

sBUD

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #745775 - 07/14/02 03:33 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

My cat has done this a couple of times with success. If you catch it in time (very early stages of growth) you can scoop out some contams.

Kitty sterilizes a spoon with alcohol, then dips it in H2O2. While still wet with the H2O2, scrape (or cut) away the contaminated portion, and a 1/2" to 1" section around that. Replace immediately with vermiculite hydrated with a 5% H2O2/Water solution.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
    #747732 - 07/15/02 09:24 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey say thx to ur kitty's advice for me fanaTek =D

Well i didnt sterilize my utensils in that way cus since i had a feeling it was gonna be garbage soon
i just sterilized the spoons by placing in boiling water for a good half hour. And i also didnt replace the casing that i spooned out
with rehydrated verm...which makes sense (cus now u have an inner casing that is exposed to many contams
and if u dont patch it up so to speak, u'll get what i just got) I said earlier than there was now white slimey
mycellium inside the casing when i first spooned things out, well not even 6 hours later that turned into a
lime color mold all bubbly and another dark green mold formed on top. So obviously out it went.
When i dissected it, strange thing was that i couldnt find any other green mold inside but i did notice some fuzzy black areas
here and there. Even though the casing was in the fruiting chamber for less than 5 dayz, it sure formed real fast!
I may not have mentioned this but while the casing was sitting in the incubator (waiting to get colonized)
it was in there for , i think, 2-3 weeks. I knwo that IS long but the mycellium took real
long to poke thru and i think it is here that the mold was slowly forming and creating its army
by the millions. I say this cus green mold loves stale air, right? Well, when ur waiting for ur casing
to get colonized and have it covered this whole time...it is in a stale air environment. Now normally
casings get done in less than a weeks time, but mines sat there for almost 3 weeks. 3 weeks of stale air that
poor casing went thru =[ but what was i suppose to do, nothing had poked thru so i had to just let it be and wait! =[

Im prolly way off and not making any sense whatsoever but when i look back and re-read the "casing for
dummie" tek the only thing i can think of that didnt go according to plan was the loooong time it spent in incubation
and being around stagnant air for so long.

Well, at least the cakes (which was also in there with the casing) is still going...unless it has a dark (green)
inner secret it isnt
telling me about!

sBUD

OfflineMadDhAdDeR420
enthusiast
Loc: Arizona
    #748255 - 07/15/02 12:35 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

thats what you did wrong i think. after casing a casing your surposed to cover it up and place it in a cool dark area so the mycelia can form on the top to take control of the casing then after mycelium is grown on the top you then birth them (put them in your terrerium). It usally takes a week to 2 for the mycelium to grow on top. You should of tried to burn the green like moe said then use a steralized spoon to spoon it out . But thats the cool thing about growing mushrooms now you know.
thats just my 2 cents
have a good day all.

--------------------
Live life to the fullest.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom