Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebmy
Stranger to myself
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planet Earth
Did I burn my spores?
    #7429060 - 09/19/07 05:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hello!

I've been lurking these forums for a while, and now it's time for my first post. I just finished cultivating my first batch. However, I'm afraid I might have destroyed my spores.

I was going with the oven-glove-box-tek, but I might have had my oven  temperature turned up a bit too much. I had a blanket on the oven-lid, and was operating on that. When I opened my spore print foil I remembered that I needed a razor to scrape them spores off, so I put  the tinfoil down on the blanket and ran away to get a razer, blow torched it and coold it down. Then I realized I had had my spore prints laying on the kinda hot surface. I picked them up quickly and measured the temperature on the foil (with an IR-thermometer [this has to be one of the best tools ever!]). The foil was around 40 degrees C (104 F) on the outside, and I guess it had been laying there for about 20-30 seconds.

So my question is simply, did I destroy these spores? I guess I'll get the answer from my jars within a couple of days, but I don't want to wait for a disappointment :frown:

It would really suck if I burnt them, since I had both my prints (bought a backup) laying there.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Did I burn my spores? [Re: bmy]
    #7429504 - 09/19/07 07:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I doubt if it destroyed them, but the oven tek is bogus. It leads to more contamination than using nothing at all because the heat stirs up wind and turbulence. Build a glovebox.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebmy
Stranger to myself
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Did I burn my spores? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7431088 - 09/20/07 04:47 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Pwuh, that's a relief! Thanks.
How low/high temperatures might the spores manage? The reason for my worries was because the vendors site recommended to use the more expensive shipping method to protect the spores from heat during summer (and cold during winter). So I thought they might be kind of heat sensitive.

--------------------

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
    #7431104 - 09/20/07 04:51 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thermal death for mycelium is 106F, spores would be a good bit higher. Spores are tough, that's what they're there for.

When it comes to extreme heat (talking 120F+), what you're going to see would be what's called a logarithmic reduction, not an all-or-nothing situation. In other words, you'll see less and less potency the more you abuse your spores. Fortunately, spore solution usually has dozens or hundreds of times the potency you really need, so you have to be pretty rotten to your spores to ruin them altogether.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Did I burn my spores? [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7431270 - 09/20/07 06:51 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The reason for my worries was because the vendors site recommended to use the more expensive shipping method to protect the spores from heat during summer

That's because the interior of a black or dark green mailbox out in the sun can easily reach 150F, which would kill the spores.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebmy
Stranger to myself
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Did I burn my spores? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7436009 - 09/21/07 10:33 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like them spores managed to survive all my mistakes, or it might be some evil contamination. But it's definitely something growing there!

Mycelium or contamination - I'm still very happy somethings growing! :smile:

This is day 3 btw

--------------------

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
    #7436024 - 09/21/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

looks like mycellium to me

that's a crazy picture btw
you should photoshop it some and make a background out of it xD

--------------------

Offlinebmy
Stranger to myself
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Did I burn my spores? [Re: anarchOi]
    #7446573 - 09/24/07 03:21 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Here's an update!

No contaminations as far as my noob eyes can see! I'm a happy noob :smile:
Thank you all for the forum and site and all the information!
Even though my patience isn't the best, this is definitely a hobby I enjoy and will continue with!

Day 6

Day 7

--------------------

Edited by bmy (09/25/07 11:36 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck