Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerungi
journeymana

controlling king oyster cap sizes
    #7428684 - 09/19/07 03:19 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

How do you control the cap size or Pleurotus eryngii? Some commercial king oysters have very short gills and small caps with very long stipes. Some china imports have almost no cap they market the stipe. Also how do you stop primordia develpoment on sides of bottle containers? I have noticed that commecial bottle cultivator use glass and transparent plastic bottles, yet the fruits develop at the top on the surface mycelium.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: rungi]
    #7428781 - 09/19/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The fruits develop where they're exposed to fresh air. If you want to control cap development, allow the CO2 concentration to climb a bit.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineOysterKing
His I ness
Male

Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #20538098 - 09/08/14 02:16 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I know this is necromancy, but I had a suspicion CO2 build up was the reason my latest King Oysters were looking only partially endowed.

taken 29 Aug :

taken 08 Sept :

Temps are fluctuating between 5 deg C at night and up to 20-22 deg C in the daytime. We are rebuilding our grow room, so we're forced to improvise/experiment. These 1kg straw cakes are sitting inside a plastic basket which is inside a length of plastic tubing with its ends folded under the basket. We've poked lots of holes into the plastic along the sides of the basket and covered these with Micro-Pore tape. Humidity is maintained by spritzing the plastic (very) occasionally.

We have been airing the basket, but flies/bugs have been a problem on previous grows so we are quite miserly with the 'airing time' our convicts get.

Hopefully once our grow room is up the bugs will die of hunger and our Kings can breathe free!

--------------------
:grin:

OfflineAramush
Nollie

Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: OysterKing]
    #20538139 - 09/08/14 02:25 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The way the chinese do it is they use bags with the ring and cotton plug method - open side of bag is pushed through a plastic ring then folded back over ring and plugged with cotton wool.

Anyways, the just take the ring off so the excess plastic is still sticking out off the top of the bag, this creates a high co2 environment, the log pins, mushrooms stretch towards the fresh air, once stretched enough bag is folded/cut back.

Probably the best way of increasing co2 without significantly increasing the chances of mould.

Good luck.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20540870 - 09/08/14 10:50 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Oysterking, what are you doing for light?  Those look more deprived of light than air to me, but I could be wrong...

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineOysterKing
His I ness
Male

Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: Forrester]
    #20541224 - 09/09/14 12:25 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

You have me there Forrester! What you say makes sense...

The basket sits atop a desk, and it is about 2 metres away from a 1m X 1m window. So the basket itself kinda blocks the light being so high up. To take those photos I had to move the basket closer to the window to actually get a shot(my cam doesn't have a flash). I doubt they get the lighting they deserve...:sad:

What makes you say its the light though? What indicators should I look for?

--------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20542268 - 09/09/14 09:17 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

There's no color in the caps.  That's what mine usually look like when I haven't noticed that they've pinned in the bag (which usually sits on a shelf in a darker part of the room).  Once I expose them to light and air for fruiting the caps will develop color and get bigger.  It's probably not too late for yours, just give 'em some more light and they should look more normal!

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineOysterKing
His I ness
Male

#20542892 - 09/09/14 12:06 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've built a temporary shady spot in the garden and the Oyster cakes have been sitting there since about 10am this morning. Much, much better quality light out there. I'll have a look again tomorrow morning to see what progress has been made.

Thanks Forrester!

--------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20545392 - 09/09/14 10:21 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I bet they'll look nice grown outdoors, I've never done it myself but with unlimited FAE, the caps will look quite different than the ones you buy in the store!

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineOysterKing
His I ness
Male

#20577885 - 09/17/14 12:02 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Hi

Just thought I'd post a little update. The pins are forming nice caps now they have more air and light.

This bad boy doesnt have the best cap formation, but a good weight at harvest i reckon. Doesn't the Asian market appreciate a thick stemmed small capped Oyster like this? The last kings i grew had more distinction between cap and stipe.

The other cakes pins are growing furiously now they are accustomed to their new light and air. It seems some 'old' mushrooms which started forming in the poor conditions have 're-pinned' to form new mushrooms with regular caps on the old growths! I'll get a nice pic to illustrate...

Its averaging a high of 22 deg C, and they are still in shade all day. Spritzing maintains humidity, and airflow is thru a massive polyfil tube.

--------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20581637 - 09/17/14 10:02 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah that big one looks just like ones I've gotten from the store, nothing wrong with growing 'em that way! 
The stems are just as good as the caps so nobody really bothers trying to provide all the air to get the caps bigger...  Also, you can imagine they'd hold up better in shipping when there's no fragile cap parts to break off and make the mushrooms look like shit.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineDjchrist
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa Flag
    #20582140 - 09/18/14 12:16 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Personally I think they look more appealing to the eye with nice big caps but like you said same story :smile:

OfflineOysterKing
His I ness
Male

Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: Djchrist]
    #20592973 - 09/20/14 02:19 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Hi All

Check how the new pins have started on the old blind mushrooms:

Timeline for this batch so far is as follows:

29 Aug - bulging mycelium and pinning noticed (ambient temps max 19C)
8 Sep  - started worrying about slow growth and abnormal cap development -still indoors and choking
9 Sep - improved light quality and airflow/CO2 to cakes (thanks to RR & Forrester & The Shroomery!), moved outside. temps around 22C
14/15/16 Sep - new pins appear (large mushie above harvested alone 14th)

Thing is, the majority of the pins that have appeared havent matured yet(except for the dildo above). For example, this cake(and the rest)

(14/9)(16/9)

look much the same today the 20th(temps got to 26/27 today). Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it normal? Should I abort? :confused:

--------------------

OfflineNuggernaut
Stranger
Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: rungi]
    #20593183 - 09/20/14 03:18 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting!

Offlinecmspice
Stranger

Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: Nuggernaut]
    #20593656 - 09/20/14 05:10 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I bought the thick stemmed one like in your pic at a korean market once. They looked kind of sad but they flavor/texture was much better than the hokto ones with the larger caps. Plus they were like 5 times the size.

Still not as good as the 'king trumpets' I got from the mushroom guy at the West Philly farmer's market in Clark Park. Damn those were good.

And that couldn't compare to the single king oyster mushroom about the size of my thumb that I got from my supplemented sawdust block lol. Too bad there was only one... And it was the size of my thumb.

--------------------
have: blue, brown, pink, yellow, elm, king oyster, reishi, nameko, black poplar, shaggy mane, PESA

want: ABM, ganoderma spp., straw mushroom, exotic pleurotus species, ethno cuttings/seeds.

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: cmspice]
    #20594220 - 09/20/14 07:14 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I know I'm in favor of this as it is, but try casing a bag.

--------------------
Check out my youtube videos. the Mushrooms Naturally series by chefinainteasy

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

MY Garden:grin:

OfflineOysterKing
His I ness
Male

Re: controlling king oyster cap sizes [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #20596713 - 09/21/14 11:27 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've literally made your pic my desktop background Chef, that is a beautiful cluster(wiping drool off a green jowl).

I haven't done any casing work before, but I'll do some searches and give it a test. If I may be forward, do you(or anyone for that matter) have any suggestions/handy links concerning that?

--------------------

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

#20598762 - 09/21/14 08:31 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17785910#17785910

It's a long three but has some good stuff. I think there I seen a link to an Italian king oyster farm video that really inspired me to go this route.

--------------------
Check out my youtube videos. the Mushrooms Naturally series by chefinainteasy

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

MY Garden:grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies