Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4
    #7416139 - 09/16/07 10:24 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

All you fans of the best drama ever produced -- either television or cinema -- get your pre-orders in now at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-Fourth-Season/dp/B000QXDJLI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2096873-7285566?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1189958506&sr=1-1

If you don't have any of the first three seasons yet, now is a good time to get them, too. Amazon has dropped the price on all of them. Forty bucks or less for each one. It's actually cheaper to order them individually than the package deal of all three seasons for one price, though that may change.

I've read HBO will begin airing Season Five on February 1, 2008. This is the first time they've released a season of The Wire on DVD before a new season has started. Maybe they're hurting for money since all their blockbusters (Rome, Sopranos, Deadwood) have finished. Who knows? I'm just happier than a pig in shit that Season Four will soon be available. I've been fiending for it for months and months now, ever since I finished the last episode of Season Three. I went back and watched Seasons One through Three from the start, and if anything I enjoyed the second viewing even more than the first.

I don't have a TV so I've only ever seen The Wire on DVD. But that's the way it should be watched anyway, in my opinion.

For those of you who have never seen The Wire, I STRONGLY suggest heading to your local video store (or NetFlix) and watching the first four or five episodes of Season One. You'll be hooked like a fish. Impossible to not immediately run out and get all the rest of them.

Or just take my word for it and buy all four seasons outright. You will never regret it, I promise you. This series is as good as it gets. Nothing else on TV (or even in movies -- and yes, I include The Godfather trilogy) can approach the excellence of The Wire.

Only 79 days before I can get my hands on Season Four. WOO HOO!

Phred

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: Phred]
    #7416455 - 09/16/07 12:12 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Im upset they didn't release the new season in the fall like i hoped they would. The wire is my favorite crime drama as well and im kind of sad they're ending the series after this season. From what i hear they're focusing on the politics and the news this season, hopefully it will be just as good as the previous seasons, but i also hope this doesn't mean they'll cancel out the street crime aspect entirely. This is what the show was founded on and to lose it entirely would almost kill it for me.

Even so, seasons 1-4 are amazing and anyone who hasn't seen them should check out some episodes. They're not too hard to find online if you don't want to rent or buy em.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
    #7416499 - 09/16/07 12:34 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Amen!! I'm not fiending like y'all :tongue: but I love that show.

I thought it was a little slow to begin with, but once it got going, man o' man.

The wife and I blew through the everything blockbuster had in just a few months, and we're both sure we need to go back and watch them again because there are SO many layers.

We haven't seen season 4, and already have HBO.

So it sounds like a perfect thing to do after baseball is done and those long winter night settle in up here.

+5 coming for the heads up!!:thumbup:

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Edited by whattheheck (09/16/07 01:00 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: coda]
    #7416807 - 09/16/07 02:36 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I suppose it's possible to get episodes online (I've never checked) but it's absolutely critical to watch each season (and preferably the whole series) in order. It's impossible to just jump into the middle of a season and appreciate what's going on. The Wire is constructed like a novel, with each episode being a chapter, and each succeeding episode building on what has come before. The only place to start is at the beginning, and you can't miss an episode either. It's more a mini-series than a tv program. Or a thirteen-hour movie. That's probably why it never was as successful as The Sopranos or Deadwood -- you can miss a few episodes of The Sopranos and still not be lost when you get back to it. Not so with The Wire.

I have talked to a few (a VERY few) people who say they have seen The Wire but didn't care for it. In every case it turns out these folks had caught one or maybe two episodes on tv well into a season. They had heard it was worth watching or were just flipping through the channels one night and decided to give it a try, then were disappointed because it made no sense to them.

There is no show on tv which delivers more to the viewer, but also no show which DEMANDS more from the viewer. You have to pay attention. If you talk to your buddies while watching, or get up to make a bag of popcorn, you're lost. The show is so densely textured, the plotlines so tightly constructed and thoroughly interwoven, that there is literally NO moment which can be ignored. It all counts -- ALL of it. Sometimes the significance of a scene (or even what seems to be a throwaway line within a scene) or even a glance by an actor at someone or something, won't become apparent till several episodes later. The editing is ruthless -- they trim out all the fat. But it's worth making the effort to pay attention. Oh, is it EVER worth it! The producers treat the audience as intelligent people. They expect you to be able to follow along and they don't compromise their work for the sake of those too dumb or too distracted to do so. The payoff for your attention is a stunningly fantastic ride. It's more than a fair tradeoff, believe me.

This is movie-making at its absolute highest possible level. Direction, acting, casting (where on earth did they find so many GREAT actors I've never seen before?), set design, sound, music, editing, cinematography (unbelievable -- better than most movies), plotting, dialogue -- all of it is absolutely top notch. Most of it is BETTER than top-notch -- it's downright perfect. Literally 10 out of 10. And the themes it covers are things we CARE about. There is a real philosophical richness to the storylines -- see all the consequences (good AND bad) that flow from Bunny Colvin's creation of "Hamsterdam" in Season Three as just one example. I STILL can't stop thinking of that part of Season Three.

The other thing is that it is all so darn believable. No implausible plot twists or coincidences just for the sake of coincidence, or exaggerated characters dropped in here or there for entertainment's sake -- it is all as real as real can be. Real people, real procedures, real situations. It's as if the viewer is a fly on the wall watching people do what they really do. They aren't acting for us, they aren't performers, they're just people going about their business that we spy on. At the end of each episode when the screen fades to black, it can often be a shock, because you suddenly realize you were just watching a movie. That is an extremely rare experience for me. Usually no matter how good watching a show or a movie is, it's still just watching a movie. Not so when viewing The Wire -- it's like I'm right there, in real time, in real life. Amazing.

I could go on for pages more, but I think y'all get the picture. The Wire is an absolute MUST SEE for anyone who enjoys good movies. The ONLY downside to seeing it is that from then on, you compare everything else you watch to The Wire, and everything else falls short.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineMiddleFinger
Is cooler thanyou
Male
    #7416818 - 09/16/07 02:43 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The Wire is a great show, no doubt.

Best screen drama ever, though? Not in my mind. Infact, I wouldn't even call it HBO's best show.

--------------------
History says, Don't hope

On this side of the grave.

But then, once in a lifetime

The longed-for tidal wave

Of justice can rise up

And hope and history rhyme.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: MiddleFinger]
    #7416824 - 09/16/07 02:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

If The Wire isn't the best screen drama ever, what is? I really want to see it.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineMiddleFinger
Is cooler thanyou
Male
    #7416835 - 09/16/07 02:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It's a matter of subjectivity, of course, but I hold The Sopranos in higher regard than The Wire. There are moments of Six Feet Under that surpass both.

That's just TV, though. I could name many films which I feel are superior to The Wire.

Don't get me wrong. I love The Wire, and it's one of the only reasons I still own a television. It is simply not as appealing to me as the aforementioned shows.

--------------------
History says, Don't hope

Of justice can rise up

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

#7416848 - 09/16/07 02:53 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

What we view is in the eye of the beholder no? From the first time I saw 6 feet under previewed in 2001, I thought I would LOVE it. A friend had the whole first season, I borrowed it a few months ago (Wire withdrawl) and I gave it a chance (like I said about the wire, even things start out slow, I know to give them a chance) and I just plain HATED it.

I like how we're discussing things here. When people want to start fighting about what show, music, etc is "the best" all I can think of is, "if we all agreed on what was the best then how many options would there be? Would we all drive the same car? The same color? Live in the same style of house in the same city? And so on :foreheadslap:

Besides, as we grow and change, so do our pallets, and what was weird, gross, or not understood yesterday may very well be cherished tomorrow.

Peace to you all.

Edited by whattheheck (09/16/07 02:56 PM)

OfflineMiddleFinger
Is cooler thanyou
Male
Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: whattheheck]
    #7416859 - 09/16/07 02:58 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

whattheheck said:
What we view is in the eye of the beholder no? From the first time I saw 6 feet under previewed in 2001, I thought I would LOVE it. A friend had the whole first season, I borrowed it a few months ago (Wire withdrawl) and I gave it a chance (like I said about the wire, even things start out slow, I know to give them a chance) and I just plain HATED it.

I like how we're discussing things here. When people want to start fighting about what show, music, etc is "the best" all I can think of is, "if we all agreed on what was the best then how many options would there be? Would we all drive the same car? The same color? Live in the same style of house in the same city? And so on :foreheadslap:

Besides, as we grow and change, so do our pallets, and what was weird, gross, or not understood yesterday will be cherished tomorrow.

Peace to you all.

You're certainly not alone in that sentiment. Most of my friends dislike Six Feet Under. There are some truly horrible episodes, and others that have brought me to tears.

:shrug:

The good moments in that show are as good as anything on television has ever been.

--------------------
History says, Don't hope

Of justice can rise up

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#7416893 - 09/16/07 03:10 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I'm a huge fan of The Sopranos -- I have seasons One through Six (Part One) on DVD and have watched them all from start to finish (in order) twice now. I have my pre-order in for Season Six Part Two and greatly look forward to getting my hot little hands on it. In my opinion, The Sopranos is another MUST SEE series.

A great show, no doubt. My previous favorite, in fact. But good as it is (and it's excellent, no doubt about it) The Wire is better.

As for Six Feet Under, I will agree Season One was excellent. But each succeeding season declined. It became just another soap opera (albeit a VERY good soap opera) to me. I certainly don't regret having watched Six Feet Under, but I wouldn't bother re-watching any of it. Not so with Deadwood or Rome (Season One only -- Season Two was a big disappointment) or even Dead Like Me. I would (and have) re-watched all of those with enjoyment. But Six Feet Under just didn't resonate with me the way the others do. Too bad, because Season One (especially the first half) showed a lot of promise.

As for films, I'm an avid movie buff and have watched maybe three quarters of imdb.com's Top 250 Movies. When I say The Wire beats them all, I mean it. For what it's worth, imdb.com members rate The Godfather (their top-rated movie) at 9.1 out of 10. The Wire is rated at 9.7 out of 10.

But that's not really being fair to movies. Each season of The Wire takes twelve to thirteen hours to unfold. Taken in its entirety, that means 50 hours or so by now, with Season Five still to come.

There is no possible way a moviemaker limited to two or three hours can do the same job he could with twelve or thirteen hours. So when I say The Wire beats the best movies, it's not meant as a putdown on the best movies.

Thanks for your recommendations, though. If I'd never seen either The Sopranos or Six Feet Under, I would have been delighted to discover them for the first time based on your advice.

Phred

OfflineMiddleFinger
Is cooler thanyou
Male
    #7416902 - 09/16/07 03:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
I'm a huge fan of The Sopranos -- I have seasons One through Six (Part One) on DVD and have watched them all from start to finish (in order) twice now. I have my pre-order in for Season Six Part Two and greatly look forward to getting my hot little hands on it. In my opinion, The Sopranos are another MUST SEE series.

A great show, no doubt. My previous favorite, in fact. But good as it is (and it's excellent, no doubt about it) The Wire is better.

As for Six Feet Under, I will agree Season One was excellent. But each succeeding season declined. It became just another soap opera (albeit a VERY good soap opera) to me. I certainly don't regret having watched Six Feet Under, but I wouldn't bother re-watching any of it. Not so with Deadwood or Rome (Season One only -- Season Two was a big disappointment) or even Dead Like Me. I would (and have) re-watched all of those with enjoyment. But Six Feet Under just didn't resonate with me the way the others do. Too bad, because Season One (especially the first half) showed a lot of promise.

As for films, I'm an avid movie buff and have watched maybe three quarters of imdb.com's Top 250 Movies. When I say The Wire beats them all, I mean it. For what it's worth, imdb.com members rate The Godfather (their top-rated movie) at 9.1 out of 10. The Wire is rated at 9.7 out of 10.

But that's not really being fair to movies. Each season of The Wire takes twelve to thirteen hours to unfold. Taken in its entirety, that means 50 hours or so by now, with Season Five still to come.

There is no possible way a moviemaker limited to two or three hours can do the same job he could with twelve or thirteen hours. So when I say The Wire beats the best movies, it's not meant as a putdown on the best movies.

Thanks for your recommendations, though. If I'd never seen either The Sopranos or Six Feet Under, I would have been delighted to discover them for the first time based on your advice.

Phred

Well you certainly seem convicted. I may have to revisit seasons one and two.

On another note, did you catch the final episode of Six Feet Under?

--------------------
History says, Don't hope

Of justice can rise up

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#7416950 - 09/16/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Sadly, no I didn't catch the final episode.

The thing is, I live in The Dominican Republic. I have no television. I had heard good things about Six Feet Under so on one of my twice-yearly trips to Canada I rented Season One from a local video shop. My wife and I liked it a lot, so we rented Season Two and got almost all the way through it before we had to return to the Dominican Republic. On our next trip we finished Season Two and started Season Three, but never finished it because we ran out of time. But by then both of us were not as thrilled with it as we first had been, so on the next trip to Canada when I suggested we finish Season Three and my wife declined, I didn't push it.

I agree there are moments of brilliance, but it is too uneven for my taste. More than once at the end of an episode my wife and I would look at each other and say, "Well, that wasn't very good, was it? Maybe the next one will be better." And the thing is, in every case it was BOTH of us saying the same. So I figured it wasn't just me missing something when I came away disappointed.

Having said that, I agree with you that the show delivered a lot of great moments. The thing is, they were just that -- moments. I understand it must be incredibly tough to consistently deliver nothing but excellence with never a slip, but in my opinion The Wire manages to do that to a far higher degree than any other show I've ever seen, and that includes The Sopranos. Every season of The Sopranos, without exception, had at least three (sometimes more) episodes that left my wife and I going, "Meh. Not their best." But the total Sopranos experience is good enough that I can overlook the stumbles. But The Sopranos would have been even better with better editing. It just seems like some of it made it to the screen because they couldn't think of anything that week but had to fill the slot regardless, so "let's go with this and hope we do better next time." Fortunately, they almost always did do better next time.

Maybe if someone were to lend me all five seasons of Six Feet Under and I were to watch it all again from the beginning I might like it more than I do at the moment (for all I know I missed the best parts by just stopping halfway through Season Three), but I'm not going to buy the set in order to do that.

And I agree that it's nice to have a CIVIL discussion about these shows. They're all in the very top echelon of what tv has to offer, so it's no surprise they each have their defenders.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

#7416993 - 09/16/07 04:04 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Sopranos is of course amazing. But the following for that show vs. the following for "The Wire" does not do justice to the equality of their quality.

And I'm glad to hear about what happened to six feet under (well not glad in that sense) but after just a little bit of watching I just could not see where they were going to go with it.

On another note, my wife and I have watched every episode of "Big Love" on it's first airing, and we feel that it is amazing. There have been times, and I'm not admitting to this, but we've been a little too :blazed: and we have to get up and walk away for a second. It gets that intense. The acting is top notch, maybe most of all by the supporting cast, there are times that it feels like you're there. And for all of the millions of ways the writers could go, the show is always fresh, shocking, and yet hasn't jumped the shark with any of the very thin lines it treads. So far.

Overall, and we'll see where it goes, but I believe as far as writing, acting, and character development, big love has a chance to rank up there. It's my favorite cast of all time.

However, Omar is my favorite character of all time. He MUST be based at least somewhat on DMX.

"It's just a part of the game"

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Invisiblebreakableweed
Stranger

Loc: the road to awe
    #7417052 - 09/16/07 04:21 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I definitely intend to check out the Wire, your endorsement only makes me want to get to it quicker.

If you are looking for more great HBO television, I can't recommend the short-lived Carnivale enough. HBO cut it after two seasons but it's some of the best TV I've ever seen.

InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: breakableweed]
    #7417313 - 09/16/07 05:32 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Season One was so amazingly good I couldn't believe it ever got greenlit. (And it actually grew out of their previous HBO effort, The Corner.) It was like a fine steak, to be savored again and again. I was just enthralled with the whole thing. I hated it when it ended. Season Two was still good, but not quite as riveting. I didn't really care about longshoremen jacking cargo from ships, although some of the characters were just too good not to watch and see what they were up to this week.

And then I cut off my cable and haven't seen the rest of the series. But anyone who hasn't seen this show, you can't go wrong. Some of the smartest television ever written. And start with the first season. You'll be re-watching it just to figure out what went down, because it moves fast and doesn't expect you to get it all the first time. They don't dumb it down like most cop dramas (Law & Order) that get bigger play.

*I swear to god, one day I'm going to learn how to REPLY TO FIRST POST. Not today, and maybe not tomorrow, but one day.

--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.

Edited by LucidDream (09/16/07 05:33 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#7417330 - 09/16/07 05:39 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah... I rented the first disk of Carnivale when I was Canada last year, so I saw the first two episodes. I thought it showed a lot of promise but my wife didn't care for it. I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying both seasons when the price drops a bit. Problem there is, since it was cancelled before its planned story arc was completed, people are saying there are an awful lot of loose ends unresolved. Oh well.

Glad to hear you're going to check out The Wire. You won't be sorry, believe me. Just start with Season One, and PAY ATTENTION!

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

#7417346 - 09/16/07 05:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Carnivale season one is/was.... AMAZING.

Season two got a little more "out there" I thought, but compared to all of the other media out there, it's still a solid 8.5 in my book.

I heard that at one point it was the one of the most difficult and expensive shows ever made on a per episode basis. And if you look at the sets, you can see why. I was heavily invested in that show, and the act that we'll never know the answers to so many questions makes me just the tinniest bit upset.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#7417424 - 09/16/07 06:13 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

However, Omar is my favorite character of all time.

Yeah, Omar is something else, all right. But the thing of it is, the writers spend so much effort on EVERY character. Even the very minor ones are just so well-rounded.

As just one of dozens of possible examples, do you remember Bernard and his girlfriend (name might have been Squeaky) in Season Three? Bernard is the guy in the Barksdale crew who has to go out every so often and drive all over hell's half acre buying a whole whap of prepaid cell phones from widely-separated stores because the Barksdale crew is so careful to ditch all their phones every ten days or so. And Squeaky just HATES seeing Bernard schlepping from store to store, and makes her displeasure abundantly clear. The girl who plays the part of Squeaky is just bang-on perfect, and so is every one of her lines. The guy who plays Bernard is if anything even better -- you can see he's totally pussy-whipped, but he of course can't show it, cause he's the man and she's just his bitch. But even when he's trying to come off like he isn't whipped, the way he plays the role you can see he really is. In some ways, his role is tougher than Squeaky's because it's more subtle. But he plays it letter perfect. That's some damn good acting and directing, for what is really a very VERY tiny facet of the whole picture -- showing us that the crew ditches their phones on a regular basis.

That's the thing about The Wire that no other show comes close to -- the incredible level of detail they present. And yet it's INTERESTING detail. They had to drop in the crucial detail that the cell phones are ditched on a regular basis, but they did it in a way that is hugely entertaining (the whole Bernard-Squeaky bit had me and my wife both giggling out loud) and crafted as masterfully as the main story line. Who else would have bothered to expend all that time and effort, and end up presenting us with such a perfect little jewel of a mini-story showing the reality of acquiring new cell phones for dope dealers? Any other show would have just had one of the main cop characters explain to another one that the crew changed phones every so often, and that would have been the end of it.

That to me is just one of the many things that lifts The Wire to a completely new level -- the amount of craft they expend on EVERY part of it. There are no parts where they just kind of motor on through till they reach the next important part, then buckle down again. It's ALL important to the producers; to them if it's worth doing at all it's worth doing it as well as they can possibly do it. Their self-discipline and their dedication to true excellence just astonishes me, it really does.

The Wire should be absolutely MANDATORY study material for anyone taking courses in film making.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#7417440 - 09/16/07 06:19 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I have no doubt I'll end up getting Carnivale one day. It's still kinda pricey at the moment, though.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #7417668 - 09/16/07 07:43 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I love it when you and I can agree on something. I to love "The Wire". It's one of the greatest shows ever produced. With the exception of Season 2, it's been extremely entertaining. I have only seen Season 4 up to about episode 5. I need to get on that.

Season 3 was fantastic. It was entertaining as hell and I loved the statement that it made about the war on drugs.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies