Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Im cookin some shine, need help
    #7412929 - 09/15/07 11:53 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Alright Im making some moonshine. I got an old recipe from my uncle. 5 pounds sugar, 5 pounds corn meal, 5 gallons of water, 3 tablespoons of bakers yeast.

Alright Ive got that all mixed up and its been fermenting in my closet for 2 days. Im concerned its not working right because it is not forming a "head". Ive read that the bubbles will form a head but mines not. My closet smells like hot beer. For air exchange ive just got 2 plastic bags over the opening and some rubber bands on there real tight. Gas can escape but not much air can get in.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Edited by Psychoslut (09/15/07 11:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Im cookin some shine, need help [Re: Psychoslut]
    #7414096 - 09/15/07 06:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

ahh, if you got a still just take some store bought liqour and cook it down.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Im cookin some shine, need help [Re: snoot]
    #7414106 - 09/15/07 06:21 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

is it worth it? what get like some cheap wine or something?

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Up North
Re: Im cookin some shine, need help [Re: Psychoslut]
    #7415370 - 09/16/07 03:18 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i wish I could help, somethings I just can't explain

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Im cookin some shine, need help [Re: Adom]
    #7415635 - 09/16/07 06:55 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

im about 85% sure you were soppsed to hold that corn meal at 150 degree's for 1 hour to convert the starches and then filter the cornmeal out.

then take this "juice/mash" and add your sugar and yeast to it after it had cooled.

it sounded like you just mixed it all together, which

1. is going to increase chance of contamination
2. the cornmeal is going to do nothing but "maybe" give nutrients to the yeast.

so bottom line is its very possible that you have a contamination that is inhibiting the yeast....however ive never used cornmeal before so maybe im wrong, i have however brewed beer from scratch and you have to mash the rye berrys/barley (hold at 150 degree's) for one hour.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Im cookin some shine, need help [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7415638 - 09/16/07 06:58 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

oh and since the cornmeal is seemingly doing nothing in their, 5 lbs of suger to 5 gallons of water is going to result in very little sugar for the yeast to eat if im not mistaken.

which could be why its moving at such a slow pace.

also room tempature could be slowing it down as well, however the alcohol that is produce should be of a higher quality as a result.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: I'm cookin some shine, need help [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7415803 - 09/16/07 08:02 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

OK Damn, good thing corn meal and sugar is cheap. So I need to pasteurize the corn meal first to avoid contams and cook down the starch?

I'm just going to start over, although it does smell like alcohol in there, based on how it bites my nose it has to be 6%+.

Do you have links to good info? Ive been reading around here http://homedistiller.org/

And there is allot of activity in there. Coming from under the corn meal there are allot of gas bubbles. There is a steady flow of some type of stuff flowing towards the top.

--------------------

Edited by Psychoslut (09/16/07 08:07 AM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm cookin some shine, need help [Re: Psychoslut]
    #7415892 - 09/16/07 08:36 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i wouldn't throw it away just yet.

you might be ok, like i said ive never made with corn meal before.

just a sec ill find you something

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7415911 - 09/16/07 08:41 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=16

you were right 6%

from your first post i got the impression their was little activity going on. If your getting alot of bubbles most likely you are fine.

however i would add another 5 lbs of sugar, and throw a handful of rasins in their, rasins are nutrients which will make your yeast happy.

lastly, do some searchin on the home distiller site and see if you can find out if you were sopposed to mash that corn meal or not, if by some small chance you were not sopposed to(aka you did right) then you don't need to add the extra sugar.

i suggest getting at least 12% as it will make distilling a little more worthwhile

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #7415969 - 09/16/07 09:00 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

This method here is what I followed, useing my uncles recipe. It doesnt say anything about cooking the cornmeal first.

Moonshine
A "genuine" moonshine recipe, as still being used by Deb Brewer is ...
5 gallon bucket all grain horse feed (we use MannaPro Hi Grain sweet feed)
one package of yeast (using bread yeast now--others will increase quality and ferment time)
5 pounds sugar
water

Put enough feed to cover bottom of 5 gallon bucket a good 4 inches deep Add 5 pounds of sugar. Fill 1/2 full with warm water--warm enough to melt sugar but not so hot as to kill yeast. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Add yeast and mix some more finish filling with warm water--again not so hot to kill the yeast. Cover with lid--our lid has a little cap that screws on, leave it loose to breathe.

4-5 days later it's ready to run! This is an old-timer recipe and works quite well. Our liquor is always 170-190 proof. You can substitute corn meal for the grain (horse feed) but I don't recommend this for pot stills cuz you can't filter it well enough. The meal will settle and burn in the bottom of your still. The old-fashion way of making corn liquor--with real corn--just is not feasible time wise.

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #7416112 - 09/16/07 10:09 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

By the looks of that recipe, the corn is worthless. Without mashing along with some 6 row barley, it will never convert. You could buy some amylase enzyme to get it to convert, but you'll still have to mash it regardless. Then you will have to sparge or all that solid corn will be a source of contamination down the road.

Might as well just mix water, sugar, yeast nutrient, oxygen, and distiller's yeast to get your desired result. Bread yeast strains have been cultured to do one thing great, and that's bread. It will ferment alcoholic beverages, but does a poor job doing so.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: I'm cookin some shine, need help [Re: daussaulit]
    #7416146 - 09/16/07 10:26 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

why does it need barley malt? Allot of alcohol is made with just corn.

Im not trying to make beer.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7416372 - 09/16/07 11:40 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

the enzymes from the barley help convert the sugars.

without enzymes the starch will stay starch

but having never used corn meal i have no idea if the starch has already been converted, nor do i know how much sugars are in it before converstion

--------------------

Edited by makaveli8x8 (09/16/07 11:41 AM)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #7416949 - 09/16/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
why does it need barley malt? Allot of alcohol is made with just corn.

Im not trying to make beer.

You're trying to make some shine. You want alcohol, and beer contains alcohol. You can distill any alcoholic beverage. Wine becomes brandy, corn and barley or rye becomes whiskey, beer can become malt whiskey.

This "a lot of alcohol" that's made with corn, are you thinking of biofuels? Well they use enzymes to convert the starch of the corn into sugars for yeast to ferment.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: I'm cookin some shine, need help [Re: daussaulit]
    #7418308 - 09/16/07 10:41 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the good info you guys. As ghetto and sloppy as I did this I think it made a little alcohol anyways. I'm going to let it "work" for one more day then I'm going to distill some, just for the practice and to see if I can get something out of this. It doesn't seem contaminated, smells like hot beer, looks like a water jug with water and corn meal in it with bubbles coming up out of the corn meal in the bottom.

I could take a pic if anyone wants to see the crap i whipped up.

OK I just went and checked on it again. Its starting to do weird shit. It has separated into 3 layers. The bottom layer is the corn meal (3 inches), then on top of that is a thickish milky substance (1 inch) then the top layer is clearish kinda yellowish milky and its like 15 inches thick. When bubbles from the corn meal layer escape and rise up they go through the milky layer and causes the milky layer to jet up into the clearish yellow layer and it looks like a geyser going off.

If that matters at all.

--------------------

Edited by Psychoslut (09/16/07 10:49 PM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7418814 - 09/17/07 03:45 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

got a pix?

and i would let it ferment for at least a week

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #7418927 - 09/17/07 06:53 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

following your link i saw this.

* Acetone 56.5C (134F)
* Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
* Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
* Ethanol 78C (172F)
* 2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
* 1-Propanol 97C (207F)
* Water 100C (212F)
* Butanol 116C (241F)
* Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
* Furfural 161C (322F)

so would it be good to cook it at 64 c and 77 c for a while to get teh methanol and acetone completely out?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #7418974 - 09/17/07 07:30 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7419018 - 09/17/07 08:14 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by makaveli8x8 (09/17/07 08:16 AM)

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #7423859 - 09/18/07 01:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Alright so check me out i am pulling flammable liquid off of this shit. It smells like cheap grape wine with a little appleness in there, not drinkable at all. I did this to find a cheap way to make alcohol for making absinthe but there is no way you can make absinthe from this garbage.

Alright so I pulled off 200ml of alcohol and im keeping that just to burn or something because I guess the first part is what has the methenol. Then I collected another 350ml before the distillate stopped being flammable.

The yeild on this sucks, i would of been better off buying a cheap case of beer and distilling that. Im not going to drink this bull shit but my friend says he will. How safe is this ghetto ass stuff?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate