Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehalf9
Mind Expander

Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow!
    #7398425 - 09/11/07 08:51 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hey gang,

after a few months of waiting and many many many countless hours of researching its finally time to grow my own mushrooms. Before I do anything I always do as much research as I can then Ill start to ask questions finally putting everything into action.

My first rounds of questions are about the fruiting chamber. I plan to make this fruiting chamber - http://www.shroomery.org/9189/Automated-Greenhouse-Guide-By-Helltick

How well does this chamber work? Is there a cheaper method that does the same thing? What is a way that most people use to grow large amounts of mushrooms?

Any help will be appreciated - Thanks!

FYI - I plan to use this tek : http://www.shroomery.org/8432/From-syringe-to-print-using-rye

--------------------
P.L.U.R.
Salvia Report - 50x

Edited by half9 (09/11/07 09:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineallreadyused
The Liquor
Male

Loc: Trailer Park, Nova Scotia
Re: Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow! [Re: half9]
    #7398707 - 09/11/07 09:58 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

If you are just starting out don't worry about producing a shit load. Start small, and keep it simple. Don't spend a few hundred dollars setting up a 3 or 4 tear greenhouse if it's your first grow. The PF tek method works great and it's real simple. My first fruiting chamber was a rubber maid container with perlite humidification. That got me enough shrooms to get plenty fucked up. $50-$70 is enough cash to get you a case of jars, a spore syringe, a rubber maid container, Lysol, BRF, vermiculite, perlite, a big bottle of rubbing alcohol, and the fish tank air pump. Once you have a successful first grow than you can think about a more complicated setup. This site has a ton of good information on how to do that.

--------------------
Everything I say is for entertainment.

Fuck the ASPCA

Edited by coda (09/12/07 11:00 PM)

InvisibleStriplessRED

Loc: Helena
Re: Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow! [Re: allreadyused]
    #7398719 - 09/11/07 10:01 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Just a suggestion from one new grower to the next, take ALL the sterility precautions you can. My first set of jars failed, I'm still not sure why, but I'm sure it was something I did wrong in the process. They just never colonized.

Anyways, Good luck man!

Offlineallreadyused
The Liquor
Male

Re: Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow! [Re: StriplessRED]
    #7399055 - 09/12/07 12:04 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

You could have inoculated the jars while they were too hot or you could have used too much alcohol to sterilize the syringe between jars. Here's another tip if you've never grown before and don't have a pressure cooker. Fill your jars and let them sit for 24 hours before you steam them; no longer than 24 hours though. The steam will kill any bacteria present but not the bacteria spores. If you let them sit for 24 hours the spores will germinate and when you steam them it will kill them. I did this the first few times I grew before I invested in a pressure canner and hardly had any contamination.

--------------------

Fuck the ASPCA

Offlinehalf9
Mind Expander

Re: Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow! [Re: allreadyused]
    #7399466 - 09/12/07 04:31 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

allreadyused said:
If you are just starting out don't worry about producing a shit load. Start small, and keep it simple. Don't spend a few hundred dollars setting up a 3 or 4 tear greenhouse if it's your first grow. The PF tek method works great and it's real simple. My first fruiting chamber was a rubber maid container with perlite humidification. That got me enough shrooms to get plenty fucked up and enough to sell to friends to get most of my setup cash back. $50-$70 is enough cash to get you a case of jars, a spore syringe, a rubber maid container, Lysol, BRF, vermiculite, perlite, a big bottle of rubbing alcohol, and the fish tank air pump. Once you have a successful first grow than you can think about a more complicated setup. This site has a ton of good information on how to do that.

Ok then, what kinda setup do you recamend? I don't see why people say "start small"? All my life I been following online guides when it comes to things like this. I even modded my xbox360 from a guide and now I have over 100 games that I got myself by following additional guides.

This is something that I REALLY REALLY want to do....uld it

--------------------
P.L.U.R.
Salvia Report - 50x

Offlinehalf9
Mind Expander

#7400068 - 09/12/07 09:47 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

*cough*

any more responses before I start with questions concerning the grow tek?

--------------------
P.L.U.R.
Salvia Report - 50x

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
    #7400087 - 09/12/07 09:53 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I always liked the PmP, works good for fruiting cakes or casings. If set up right keeps great RH and all u have to do is fan it a few times a day.  http://www.shroomery.org/9047/Poor-Mans-Pod :thumbup:

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

OfflineSkeeblix
Dave Thomas
Male

Loc: Wendy's
Re: Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow! [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #7400474 - 09/12/07 11:51 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Modding an XBox360 doesn't require you to take laboratory precautions when it comes to sterility. The thing that makes growing mushrooms difficult is your whole project can be ruined by some stuff floating in the air that's only a few microns big, all before you even know it's happened. You can't see them, but they sure as hell can fuck your entire grow into a nasty, fuzzy black/green/etc. mess.

Start small, get to know the life cycle of a shroom, and what's normal and what isn't. Learn to care for your little fungus friends from a humble start instead of jumping into more advanced methods and damning them all to a horrible death by icky molds.

Plus, with cakes, you're not putting all your eggs in one basket, since, if you plan on casing BRF cakes, you'll usually use more than one of them to do it.

--------------------
This post approved by:

Premedman1 said:
:lol: I just shat my pants.

Offlineallreadyused
The Liquor
Male

Re: Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow! [Re: Skeeblix]
    #7400569 - 09/12/07 12:30 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

My first fruiting chamber was a big rubbermaid container. I used perlite humidification. Get a the container, some perlite, a fish tank air pump, and a bubble stone for the pump. About an inch of perlite on the bottom of the terrarium, half inch of H2O in the terrarium with some peroxide to help prevent contamination. Put the bubble stone in the perlite and away you go. That's what I did first time. After my first batch I upgraded from the fishtank pump to a ultrasonic vaporiser. I got better results with this. I didn't follow any spesific tek down to the t. I read a shitload about different fruiting chambers and came up with my own variation on what I read.
Like Skeeblix said, modding an xbox and growing mushrooms are two completely different things. I'm a firm believer that people who think you have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top never get much past the bottom. But this is not the case with growing mushrooms. Your not starting at the bottom, your educating yourself. Nobody goes from basic 4th grade math to college trig overnite; unless your some kind of math retard. My first few grows I used cakes. Within 6 months I jumped right into using birdseed and had 2, 3 teer greenhouses in my closet. I fucked up big time the first few times I tried birdseed, complete loss due to contams; but I learned from my mistakes. I've been growing for over 6 years now and I still consider myself a beginner.

--------------------

Fuck the ASPCA

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #7400602 - 09/12/07 12:46 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ignore anyone telling you to start with the PF tek and blah blah blah. If YOU want to use a greenhouse, go for it! Fuck PF tek, go with grains, so much easier and if you're serious about this hobby you're going to end up there anyways. Might as well just jump in and learn. Grains are a lot easier/more forgiving then the PF tek is and when used in combination with bulk substrates will yield you 10-20 times as many mushrooms as you would get with PF.

My suggestion to you is while your jars are colonizing go calibrate your greenhouse. Find out the humidity and temps on each layer and time your coolmists/ultrasonics to go off at the right intervals to keep the RH as constant as possible.

Lastly, good luck and have fun!

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinehalf9
Mind Expander

Re: Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow! [Re: coda]
    #7400899 - 09/12/07 02:21 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Ignore anyone telling you to start with the PF tek and blah blah blah. If YOU want to use a greenhouse, go for it! Fuck PF tek, go with grains, so much easier and if you're serious about this hobby you're going to end up there anyways. Might as well just jump in and learn. Grains are a lot easier/more forgiving then the PF tek is and when used in combination with bulk substrates will yield you 10-20 times as many mushrooms as you would get with PF.

My suggestion to you is while your jars are colonizing go calibrate your greenhouse. Find out the humidity and temps on each layer and time your coolmists/ultrasonics to go off at the right intervals to keep the RH as constant as possible.

Lastly, good luck and have fun!

Thank You!

--------------------
P.L.U.R.
Salvia Report - 50x

OfflineMonChe
RevolutionaryMonkey
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #7404890 - 09/13/07 03:54 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Completely agree with coda.  You know what you gotta do, you plan your shit out and set it all up right and as long as you don't half-ass anything you will have jumped right in and come out the other side with shitloads of mushies.

There is no _need_ to start with the pf-tek.  there is no definitive start.  you pick where you wanna join in and thats where your start is.  Hell your first grow could be a garden outdoor grow and power to ya.  just don't forget to put the gnomes in the garden :smile:

--------------------
MonChe, Leading the monkeys against the tyranny of the apes in the Gorilla wars!

OfflineAFOD
Abraham
Male

Loc: In the heart of mormon co...
Re: Fruiting chamber Questions - first grow! [Re: MonChe]
    #7405407 - 09/13/07 05:57 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I've never made a BRF cake in my life. Straight to Rye berries for me. Then to pooh. Fruited blocks and worked out great. Next for me, casings. I agree with start where you want, just make sure you are prepared. No matter how clean your area is, I put up a plastic tent around my flowhood and work area, just some cheap plastic sheeting from wal-mart and some tape and staples. Make sure you have lots of bleach and lysol on hand and kill the shit out of anything that might be within 10 feet of your work area.
I am hoping that this grow will be closer to 80-90% successful, as my last was closer to 50-75%. I had some trouble with contams in my jars, though I made my own syringes. Since I now have a flowhood,(which I built for like $50 from stuff at wal-mart) I am getting off to a great start.
Best of luck friend, chase your dreams.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds