Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleralphroks
humaniform

Loc: Up north passed Alaska
Islomania
    #7403973 - 09/13/07 07:38 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I think This fits better here than the pub and i`d like some tech. support and advice if anybody would be so kind. I`d first like to apologize for any grammatical errors and the length of this post. I`ll probably be updating this as things change, most of this was originally compiled in various documents and notes i keep.

After persons have died in my family I`ve been left with a large inheritance through the will, including a 4 bedroom house i`ve sold. After lawyer fees and taxes Ive cleared a substantial amount of money in the bank. I`ve purchased a 20 foot metal shipping container for $1,500 in the appropriate port-town and plan to load a friends 16 wheeler with my possessions and supplies. He will drive them to the port town for $1,000 which includes gas fee. and the cargo ship will charge $3,500 for the shipping and offloading.

Possessions include:
1 storage freezer (20 cubic feet upright)
1 refrigerator/freezer
1 couch
1 oven with range and flowhood
1 bed
1 dishwasher
* utensils, dishes, blender,food processor, coffee machine, ice cream machine, bread machine, brewing equipment, juicer,food-dehydrator, pressure cooker,industrial deli slicer.
3 20 inch color T.v.`s
1 70 inch Hd TV
1 satellite dish TV/internet capable with receivers/modem
1 desktop Personal computer
1 Laptop and wireless router
*books, chairs, desks, fish tanks, lamps, clothes
5 1000w HPS and 2 600MH
* Ebb and flow systems and supplies
3 space heaters
2 window a/c and various fans
I may be forgetting stuff I`ll try to update, everything else has been donated or given away.

Things Ive purchased here:
10 fluorescent shop lights and bulbs
2 diesel out-board boat motors $7,000

Things I`ve purchased there:
(on the mainland or being shipped)
2 125KW diesel generators, inclosures, silencers and fuel tanks* $150k
1 water treatment unit
1 1,000 gallon rain collector tank and plumbing($1,000)
1 water heater*
1 toilet*
1 kitchen sink*
1 shower*
kitchen cabinets*
1 scuba gear
1 spear gun
1 boat 1990 25' Grady White 252 Sailfish Hardtop with Twin 200 Horsepower Evinrude Outboards, $7,000 with 1 broken motor
1 saltwater fishing reel and tackle
freshwater fishing reel and tackle

*(taken by a friend from a house being remodeled on the mainland $150)

I also have purchased a 4.5 acre uninhabited island 9 miles by boat from the nearest mainland town for half a million, roughly the sale cost of the inherited house.I refuse to disclose locations on privacy issues. The island is covered with trees and all dense undergrowth removed. It has a large beach and is very low elevation.

The cargo ship will unload my container in a large port, I will then have it moved by crane to a smaller ship. and shipped to the island. The water becomes too shallow at 50 feet for the boat to get any closer; so I`ll either need to build a pontoon or a boardwalk. I`d rather not build a 50 foot boardwalk stable enough to hold a cargo container if I don't have to. Also this would require some elaborate custom dolly on car wheels to roll down the dock, although a pier would give me something to fish off outside of the shallow water. I can unload all of the cargo to smaller boats to ferry in, to decrease the weight of the shipping container, but I really don't want to abandon it to the mainland. I have plans for that container and I need to be able to import large objects.
----------
I then took a plane and spent the next 3 and half months living on the mainland of my island`s parent country,talking to the owner and getting the purchase finalized. I immediately found a lawyer there to help me with the laws I didn't know, and started a bank account there. Eventually I transferred the purchase price and money for personal expenses. The labor is dirt cheap and hardwood is too, so I decided to build the dock after visiting the island. It was obvious that I would need a dock for the heavier imports.

Once the purchase was finalized I started the building of the dock. The most expensive things are the shipping fees and concrete since it all has to be mixed on sight it will take forever. the contract is 60 thousand. They are a very professional crew. I visited a much bigger pier the same contractor constructed for the gov. and its a good pier.
The pier is being constructed towards mainland so the island cushions hurricane blows to the pier. Ive been promised completion before hurricane season. and Haggled for a 2 year warranty.

Ive also made friends with a fishing boat captain named rasta mike. and had a crew of 10 men taken by boat, along with bamboo yearlings to be planted along the coast pointed towards the sea. This is supposed to create a barrier to weaken hurricane winds.They have also begun construction on two bamboo huts in the shallow waters supported by bamboo columns high above tide. Ive promised them $3 u.s. a working hour to live for 5 days in an old army surplus mess tent i`ve had imported. I`ve also hired my friend who looted the toilet Iggy, to see that they work the 8 hours a day they get paid for.

A large fire pit was dug into the sand for cooking and 5 gallon buckets with a toilet lid are the only toiletries beyond the sea as of yet. until the outhouse is constructed. the food and rum are provided free. The fishing is pretty good, and the workers have been eating conk they`ve plucked offshore, they are basically huge sea snails they sometimes eat raw. There`s quite a number of conk shells that are now scattered about. I`ve also found a number of producing coconut trees along the beach and have cleaned up the rotten coconuts into a nice pile.

Within the first 2 weeks of work a permanent out house was dug and constructed from mahogany, a colony of poop eating worms was placed at the bottom, with I think yeast. I was unfortunately not on sight for construction. The toilet lid was then transferred of the bucket and into the outhouse. Its very deep and made to not allow rain to flood the hole, deep and airy enough to not smell like poo, a few scoops of topsoil get thrown in every so often to prevent stinking and balance the worms diet. #1 is still the oceans problem. within 3 weeks they`ve almost completed one of the stilted bungalows that is being used to piss off as it has no walls.

We currently have a compressor,chop saw, skill saw,drill, nail gun and a small gas generator Ive also imported hardware and hand tools. Within 1 month Ive only had to replace 1 worker. The common wage for labor work is 50 cents an hour $3 an hour is top pay, and they seem to like the free rum/food idea. The beach is covered in sand flies that sting and itch; making it almost unbearable to have a beach. There`s a surprising amount of mosquitoes considering I see no fresh water and the flies that float on the ocean surface will also sting you. I'm not sure if this is the same species as the sand fly though. The cool ocean breeze is nice compared to the depressing heat/humidity the weather takes. So far I`ve yet to see how the little guy handles choppy waters so close to sea-level.

I`ve visited every local official i could possibly meet with, and have even met with the "president" although that`s not his formal title. I`ve petitioned to rename the island,but as of yet I have no clue as to what the new name will be. I`m thinking about something ominous to keep people away, like cannibal island of something. Ive also imported a VW bug from a neighboring country for a few hundred dollars to get me around the mainland.
------------
With the completion of the pier I will wait out rainy season, then have a pit dug by tractor in the center of the island on the highest ground available. Then a water tight cement house will be constructed in the pit and backfilled. The earth removed from the hole will be used to build up the islands height. Several boatloads of trash dirt will slowly be imported to gain land mass before a final layer of quality topsoil, the process must be gradual to build the islands height without killing the trees.

an entrance staircase will lead up into a small cement building above ground level pointed towards shore. All concrete will be water proof and structures water tight. Ventilation will occur through cylindrical cement smoke stacks high above any possible ocean level with vents placed on the sides with overhanging rain guards,with oscillating fans in them at ground level and sub ground level to push/pull air like a large squirrel fan. I plan on using the heaviest grade reinforcement steel and thickest concrete allowable. one of the ventilation stacks I plan on either fitting with window a/c units or a commercial air conditioner. If AC proves unnecessary because underground temp. is much lower, then I will utilize the a/c elsewhere or rid myself of it.

Hopefully I can get some quality solar panels to cover the roof of the entrance room and shipping container, and start setting up solar roof gazebos. any roof I can solar panel will help generate electricity and
allow rain to gather and flow into my rain collectors. greenhouses would be heavily ventilated and roofs left without solar panels but allowed to collect water. The collecting tank will have a large funnel
and netting to prevent bugs in but allow water.Most water will be filtered and recycled before irrigating with. If anything else, I can
build solar panel pontoons with plastic drums underneath to keep it afloat, much like an immigrant`s raft. The electrical cables would then have to be intertwined with a heavy rope to anchor the boat ashore. All electricity would be stored on battery packs in a special power bunker top-side, or directly consumed.

To subsidize power, I plan to eventually construct windmills from junk car parts just off shore by damming small sections of ocean and pumping the water out then back in upon completion. Along with the two
diesel generators powered off old vegetable oil converted on the mainland to veg. diesel. Its a fairly simple process and Ive had several offers for free used cooking oil and people willing to learn the skill. These people I hopefully can set up production with. The diesel will power the generators, boat motors and eventually
a diesel car when I trade up the VW to a diesel on mainland; and hopefully provide a small amount of surplus. and collected in plastic drums, for import to the island. One of the huge problems is high gas prices there.

The side facing the ocean will be raised by sand from the sea floor,
before honey comb shaped cinder blocks are placed at and under sea level to prevent erosion and dampen wave force. luckily the skinny side is pointed toward sea. The island is very long and narrow with a large salt water lagoon between mine and a neighboring sister island.
The sister island is uninhabited also.

(continued later.)

--------------------
"Please read and learn and relay knowledge not misinformation! Thank you"-hyphae

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleralphroks
humaniform

Loc: Up north passed Alaska
Re: Islomania [Re: ralphroks]
    #7439055 - 09/22/07 01:10 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
"Please read and learn and relay knowledge not misinformation! Thank you"-hyphae

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Islomania [Re: ralphroks]
    #7439311 - 09/22/07 04:45 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The last picture is a very good example of bad equipment placement in SCUBA. The alternate air source regulator is hanging free. Not only does this make it difficult to find when you need it, but also makes it easy to damage as it drags along the sand and coral. Same holds true for the SPG.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals