Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlueBruiser
Psilocin Technician

Loc: Mushroom planet
Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate....
    #739474 - 07/11/02 01:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If you guys have been checking out the pictures forum lately then im sure you guys have seen night trains recent posts and outstanding success with cubes and pan trops on store bought compost. If you havnt seen them check them out the cubes here and here and pan trops here. My face went like this when I saw these posts---> I was simply amazed that store bought compost could produce that. Producing mushies in bulk using compost is the way to go if you have the time and space to do such operations and this is exactly what I want to do but I ran into some problems which are that I needed a reliable source of compost and I was left to resort to ordering from online vendors and thats was simply too expensive for me. Maybe im just misinformed or somthing but I have never seen a post like night trains depicting store bought compost as the substrate. Unfortunaltly for me, I live in the city and I dont have a barn or a feild I can go to and collect dung from and im sure many of us dont have that luxury either. So I would like to direct this post to those who are interested in doing bulk production of mushies using store bought compost or manure while only spending under 10 bucks for hauge bag of compost.

The day I saw these posts I went on a search for the Scotts 3n1 Organic Compost mix that night train used but I came up empty handed. I called and made trips to nurseries, Lowes home depot, and Orchard and none of them carried that brand of compost Bummed I looked aroudn the stores only to find other brands of organic composts and manure. I figured if one brand works then so could others and I bought this compost...

Here are the ingredients...
Does it work? I dunno but im going to find out. I will soon get an order of filter patch bags that I ordered from the Sporeworks and I will fill them with the compost and some vermiculite like night train did and put some spawned grain into it and see what kind of results I get. Each one of these bags of compost is very cheap, this one cost me 2.98 plus tax. Dirt cheap if this compost yeilds results like in those posts. I dunno aobut you guys but I wouldnt mind spending 3 bucks to test out a new compost that I can use for my bulk production plans and I think thats what Im going to do until I find a compost that works great. Hopefully I will find one but if I dont then thats ok I will do it for my own research and for you guys the members of the Shroomery so you guys can benefit from my findings.

In about a week I will begin my search for a good store bought compost that can bring satisfactory results in our quest to find the easiest, cheapest and best way to grow our sacred mushrooms. I will post my findings in this thread. Stay tuned my fellow farmers.

If anyone has already tried some store bought composts or manures please post in this thread and let us know what kind works and what kind doesn?t work.

Thank you and wish me luck.

I would like to give mad props to night train for this "break through" (ehhh maybe not) in making our mushroom producing ways cheaper and more convenient and giving me the inspiration to actually go out and look for a storebought compost that works. once again night train...mad props.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: BlueBruiser]
    #739676 - 07/11/02 02:43 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

....fungicides are the issue with store bought compost. You cant find straw anywhere?

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

OfflineBlueBruiser
Psilocin Technician

Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: pleezr]
    #739682 - 07/11/02 02:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Does this mean that everything I wrote might as well go in the trash?

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #739697 - 07/11/02 02:50 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for bringing this up again.
I have yet to see a good comparitive analysis of store bought compost. If you have the time and desire something with the following information would be quite informative, in my opinion:
Brand, region, method used, and production/results. Info from the mfg. regarding additives would be nice, although the results may speak for themself.
If you do have the time and the impetus to try several brands with simmilar or, even better, nearly identical methods for comparison I am sure that many people might start trying out this shortcut.
Thanks, enjoy your day.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
    #739702 - 07/11/02 02:53 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If it is truely Organic, (bad regulations in this area) then there should be NO fungicide/herbicide ect. Quite a few products claim to be organic. You might try to email the company to ask, or just find out through trial/error. Good luck!

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: Frog31337]
    #739723 - 07/11/02 03:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

Quite a few products claim to be organic

that is so true

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Invisiblenight trainV
Stranger
Male

Loc: Midwest US
Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: pleezr]
    #739856 - 07/11/02 03:51 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Here is the Scotts compost that was used for substrate in the pix referred to above. In a few trials, it was noted that some of the store bought compost was steer manure or just manure with a mix of either forest products or organic matter. All trials with compost containing the forest products (ie pine fines usually) created very poor results if any at all. One other brand that created nearly the same results was Northwoods brand manure/compost.

--------------------
Lil' Shop of Spores - Exotic Mushroom Spores From Around the World
Save 10% Off Any Order Use Coupon Code: SHROOMERY

Invisiblenight trainV
Stranger
Male

Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: night train]
    #739864 - 07/11/02 03:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Here is the other compost that created some decent results also.

--------------------

OfflineBlueBruiser
Psilocin Technician

#739883 - 07/11/02 04:15 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The compost that I got contains forest products...does that mean that this compost wont work?

night train, at what point did you realize that a compost will not work? Such as did the mycelium colonize the compost at all or the compost did colonize but it didnt fruit at all or very well or somthing else?

OfflineMordar666
Stranger
    #740083 - 07/11/02 05:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

are you pasteurizing this guys? I'm ready to try an experiment with the organic, so far I've been pasteurinzing, thinking it's a waste of time, and pillow cases!

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #740235 - 07/11/02 07:19 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If you can't find a bag of compost worth using(?), try this.

Quick easy organic compost (if you can find & get the stuff to make it).

Wheat straw or alfalfa PELLETS (feed or pets stores). Dry or aged horse or cow dung (stables, farms and/or dairies). It's worth a day trip to find the stuff.

Any ratio by weight from 50/50 to 75/25 pellets to dung works.

Hydrate the dung with water to soften it. Ladle into a blender or food processor & whip into a thin soup. In a big rubbermaid tub hydrate the PELLETS with the soup.

Once wet, the pellets disintigrate into a micro/fine shredded straw or alfalfa fibers. The pellets will absorb the dung soup. Add enough soup to make the mixture just wet enough when you grab a handfull & squeeze (hard), it drips -- only a drop or two.

Saran wrap the lid on the tub (to keep out flies & gnats -- that love the stuff). Let it set a few days or a week. It will create a lot of heat -- quick composting. Once it begins to cool down. You got an organic substrate.

To be double safe, fill a pot with this mix that will fit in a bigger pot of water (double pot boiler) & pasturize the pot holding the compost using a candy thermometer in the water between the two. That's it. Spawn the stuff.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #740381 - 07/11/02 08:29 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWe_come_in_peace
old hand

Loc: Alpha Centauri
    #740587 - 07/12/02 12:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Great thread and Im glad you brought this up. Im currently spawning Creeper through Heartland composted manure mixed with crushed rabbit food. So far so good, and Ill be posting pics soon in the picture forum. All in all I like compost, but horse shit kicks ass except I can't seem to get my hands on any lately. Oh well they stay cleaner that way I guess.

Invisiblenight trainV
Stranger
Male

Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: We_come_in_peace]
    #740716 - 07/12/02 03:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The compost containing the composted forest products colonized well, it just would fruit worth a damn. A lot of abhorts, and very few if any mature fruits came off of it.

--------------------

OfflineDymentia
journeyman

Loc: everywhere
    #740835 - 07/12/02 05:22 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i'll help in the investigation. i just bought some composted sheep's manure and spawned it with a Kreeper cake.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: World Spirit]
    #741839 - 07/12/02 01:42 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinewalt
?
    #743117 - 07/13/02 03:42 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

just purchased scotts compost at lowes.

and a bale of straw.

Edited by walt (07/13/02 03:44 AM)

OfflineHammerloaf
addict

Loc: Canada
Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: walt]
    #743255 - 07/13/02 06:25 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I am curious... a friend of mine has a farm where about 5 years ago horses were kept. Now every winter these horses would be bedded with straw (which they would shit all over) and in the summer the straw would be cleaned out and thrown on a big pile behind the barn. The pile is still there, but is now overgrown with grass and weed somewhat.

Is the matter inside the pile still usable? These animals were grain fed.

Are there any precautions that should be taken with this material? It is very dark and rich in texture, slightly damp in the midst of the pile, and it is obvious that straw is part of the mix, through it is greatly decomposed.

Any help would be great. (sorry to ursurp the true purpose of this thread, I just need some advice.)

Thanks,

Hammy.

OfflineBlueBruiser
Psilocin Technician

Re: Store bought Compost? Lets Investigate.... [Re: Hammerloaf]
    #743427 - 07/13/02 08:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Go ahead and give it a try, I would.

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #744043 - 07/13/02 04:33 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

this

works juuust fine for me
I usually use it in a 1:4 mix with straw, but it works well on its own too.
the brand is Westland, about ?3 or so in gadren centres all over the UK

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale