Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Mycobags, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
contamination...perhaps?
    #7381091 - 09/07/07 10:55 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

so I tried my first bulk grow just now (a coupla corn myco-bags to get things going / and a whole lotta rye for when it was time to expand) and as iot's looking right now (about three days after 'nnoculating' the rye) I'm beginning to see a whole bunch tiny little white dots all over this shit (but so far - no weird smells or anything) but these things are totally spread on out throughout the entire uber casing...and I can't help but wonder if this is normal

cause...I dunno...I guess I had just *assumed* that the first initial growth would begin aty the mycelium clumps that had been dispursed through the entire thing, and that it would slowly but surely link uyp to one another and begin filling in all the empty spaces...but...that's not what's happening - these things are everywhere (even where I don't see little chunks of mycelium close by)

did this shit get contaminated while I was switching shit up  :confused:

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: contamination...perhaps? [Re: Muppet]
    #7381163 - 09/07/07 11:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, Lets see. We really need more information and a picture.

What did you inoculate it with? If it was live liquid culture than maybe 3 days to see growth. If it was a spore syringe then no, it would normally take longer to see growth. (With Ps. Cubensis) If you are trying something other than cubensis then it will depend on what species. With out more information and a picture you will not get the answer you need.

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: contamination...perhaps? [Re: Cyber]
    #7381303 - 09/07/07 11:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I inoculated a coupla the corn mycobags....and they all grew just fine

I then broke up the mycelium and mixed it in with a bunch of presterilized rye (also from mycobags, which had simply been opened up just long enough to toss some of the mycelium from the corn bags in)

...now...

I would *assume* that the already growing mycelium would just simply continue to grow on out throughout the rye (effectively giving me a three pound clump of this shit to work with) but instead - I'm noticing a bunch of little tiny white dots that look *sorta* like mycelium (as best as I can tell at this point) except that it's all spread out throughout the ENTIRE bulk bag I threw it in with / and not just near where the mycelium chunks are (as I would've assumed that they would have done in situations such as these)

I'm just curious if it's common for tiny bits of myselium to start showing up threw and threw when you do this sort of thing, or if it just picks up wherever the mecelium chunks are, and slowly but surely starts filling in alll the gaps

cause even though there's no odd smells or anything - it's just not the sort of thing I had expected to see (and me being the worry wart I am - I have to assume the worst until someone can assure me otherwise)

I'm just curious if this is sorta what it looks like when you take X amount of actual mytcelium, and blend it all in witha much larger clumb of ready-to-go substrate (as I have done)

I'm hoping *someone* here can has done this sortt of thing before, and could give me at least a glimmer of what to expect (irregardless if it's even remotely similar to what I'm seeing or not)

--------------------

Offlinespock1
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: contamination...perhaps? *DELETED* [Re: Muppet]
    #7381615 - 09/08/07 12:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by spock1

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: contamination...perhaps? [Re: spock1]
    #7381862 - 09/08/07 01:16 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

- I broke the mycelium up into a whole bunch of little tiny pieces
- I then mixed the tiny little pieces of mycelium in with the pre-sterelize bulk stubrstrate bag I had to work with (i.e. I actually mixed the HELL out of it thouroughly)
- I then sealed it all up real good like, and let it sit for the next three days

I don't-smell-anything-from-it in EXACTLY the same way as you can always get a *faint* 'oder' seeping out through the air patch on the side of the bag...irregardless of what's going on within it (i.e. you can always get a real real *faint* whiff of the same smell as whatever substrait you have to work with you you first initially start out / a *faint* smell of mecelium when it gets to the point where the bag becomes mostly colonised / and a *faint* fucken sewer-like whiff of death IF it ever does actually begin to be contaiminated...THROUGH THE BAG)

and don't even try to tell me this piddly ass little ghost of an oder isn't there - cause I've done this enough times to notice these sort of subtle difference already

and NO you don't have to open the bags to get the damn faint fucken smell either  :rolleyes:

now can we all just quit being so freaken retarded on this one, and answer ONE simple god damn question:

when using a smaller quantity of mycelium to 'inoculate' (or whatever the proper terminology for this would be) a larger quantity of pre-sterelized 'bulk substrait' -----> does it:

A) slowly spread out from the invividual mycelium chunks that are spread out throughout the mix

OR

B) initially pop up everywhere throughout the ENTIRE bag (even where mycelium is not easily present)

that's the ONLY thing I'm trying to figure out here

- quit nit-picking me about how I did every damn step I took along the way, and whether or not I did things fucken proper-like
- quit asking me asinine questions about how much of a retard I am / and how incaple I am of doing a for-dummies fucken task
- quit whining to me abou how I'm an asshole, and I deserve to grow fucken sewage (cause I know at least one of you fuckers is thinking that after reading this response)

all I want from you is a little heads-up on what to look for on these sorts of things when they are done the way they're *supposed to be* done (so that I'll know what to look out for, and so that I can compare that to what I'm seeing here)

one simple question...no stupid details

what does this shit look like when you break a clump of mycelium up into a container witha bunch of fresh substrait for bulk growing techniques? (specifically: what it starts out looking out / what it looks like when new mycelium begins forming / and how exactly it spreads as it's growing)

riddle me this...and fuck what I've said about my grow  :shake:

--------------------

Offlinespock1
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: contamination...perhaps? *DELETED* [Re: Muppet]
    #7384439 - 09/08/07 06:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by spock1

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineRastaimposta
Apothecary

Re: contamination...perhaps? [Re: spock1]
    #7384751 - 09/08/07 07:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, dude seems pretty rude, they were just tryin to help man.

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: contamination...perhaps? [Re: Rastaimposta]
    #7385536 - 09/08/07 10:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yeah...I appologize for that one

A) I was drunk
and more importantly
B) evey time I come here with what I would assume is a fairly trivial question - all I ever seem to get out of people is countless questions about inconsequential piddly little details that won't make a piss of difference one way or another (like all they're trying to do is make themselves seem all smart by analysing the hell outta somethijgn trival, without really leaning towards one side or another) it's frustrating, ya

...but anyhow...

the basic details of this one were that I used a syringe and an average sized corn mycobag to produce an average sized clump of mycelium par standard issue mycobag standards (e.g. about a pound / a clump roughly the size of maybe three half pint jars...only...all smashed together into one clump)

I then broke this up into a standard issue 'bulk substrate' sized (three pounds) rye mycobag...and the final result was a roughly four pound bag of rye/corn mixture - with the mycelium 'chunks' being the size of a piece of corn, a the rye being considerable smaller (maybe 1/4 of the size) but there also being three times as much of the rye as there was corn, and all of it dispursed fairly evenly through and through

I re-sealed the bag and let it sit for a coupla days, and by day three - I noticed what seemed to be hundreds and hundreds of tiny little white specs dispursed fairly evenly throughout the entire thing (the white specks looking no bigger then the size of a typical singular salt crystal...and looking roughly similar to a tiny pure white bloblet of *something* that was absolutely miniscule to even the rye) and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where they were or how that were laid out (i.e. they didn't bunch up more around the mycelium infused corn chunks / they didn't grow moreso towards any one section of the bag or another / there was just hundreds of em everywhere)

that's the best I can explain it really

and I am SO not wanting to sit here and answer copious amounts of piddly little asinine questions about whether I was wearing standard issue surgical gloves / or cheap polyeurathane types like the ones they use for handling food with...or what brand of scisors I used to open the mycobag with...or whether or not I conducted the entire procedure in an anti-gravity airlock system like I'm supposed to

I know that there's a chance for contaimination - there ALWAYS is
and I assured you I tried my best to keep everything kosher on this one

I'm just curious if this sort of 'thing' is even remotely standard in these types of situations...if anyone that's ever tried making a bulk substrait with a clump of mycelium (as opposed to spores from a syringe) has ever seen anything at all even CLOSE to what I'm seeing here (be it good, or bad, or whatever)

it doesn't matter what temperature I did this all at, or whether or not I had the fan above the stove turned on, or whatever other parts of the equation that so many people ALWAYS seem to want to put into play (for reasons I can't even begin to comprehend) all I'm wonder is what it looks like when people have done this sort of thing in the past, and whether or not it looked even similar that what I'm describing

the size of the mycelium pieces shouldn't be important here people...just tell me if it's normal to see millions of almost microscopic looking 'dots' covering the entirety of your bulk substrait bag within the first few days of setting em up

I can't make it any more straight foreward then that  :shake:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Mycobags, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation