Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDoobie
recluse
Male

Loc: FTW, TX
Trich is Death
    #7190153 - 07/17/07 09:22 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ok three tubs in a row desimated. First one got one flush and just as trich was taking hold. Second fault of natural fungicide in cedar and third trich right after casing a beautiful colonization of Mexicub in a tub. This next one even more precautions. Two main things I've been told. One, don't let it be to hot in PH, need some microbes for help in battle. And two, don't let casing be pasturized past 150 degrees. The last tub had a hot PH and the casing went to 170 for several minutes. Everything is being kept as sterile as possible without turning the house into a lab, but there is something else missing. Any clues, this is getting really perturbing and I'm a newbie...but with some experienced help...who is also getting a little perplexed. Next casing is the main focus because the tub is almost ready and very nice and healthy. Probably the best help is what to case with to get fast colonization, then good patching in the mean time.

--------------------
Shut up and Smile

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Trich is Death [Re: Doobie]
    #7190213 - 07/17/07 09:33 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

In my experience, when you've properly pasteruized the casing layer and it contaminates either before or at first flush, it usually comes from below, meaning your spawn and/or bulk substrate was already contaminated. You can try fruiting this one uncased. It won't do quite as well as a properly made and maintained casing layer, but it might help narrow down your problem.

What do you mean by a 'hot' pH? You want your pH adjusted slightly sweet of neutral, 7.5 to 8.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineDoobie
recluse
Male

Re: Trich is Death [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7237935 - 07/29/07 08:36 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

We did everything we felt was correct.  We had a great spawn with no piss in the jars so it wasn't fighting contamination, that we know of.  We pasteurized in oven bags at 160 degrees for 2 hours.  Adjusted PH to a PH of 8, on the alkaline side.  It colonized very rapidly then suddenly slowed and then the trich. came.  Yet another batch destroyed as well as our dreams....This is four in a row.  But we have gotten very good at making liquid cultures and grain jars that colonize beautifully, so much so it makes me tear up.

Is there a way to tell that colonized grain is contaminated with trich?  Our last 20 jars of grain and bird seed seem to colonized perfectly and smell like clean mushrooms upon inspection.  So I'm ruling that out as a cause for now. 

How do you feel of about the use of worm castings and kelp meal in substrates.  Are these ingredients prone to trich?  Should we go to using straight cow, horse, or sheep manure and not add all the fixings.  Only to necessitate the PH. 

Please help, any insight would help.  I've alway felt keeping it simple to get it to go, but this is a brand new house and the products that were brought in might have been contaminated and even after a thorough cleaning.  Now my home is invaded by the green death.  And it is colonizing my dreams into nightmares.  :drgonz: 

Help us roger, please, we can't deal with another tub gone bad and we have 5 jars ready for spawning and 12 more that are being colonized by beautiful stains of mycelia.  With all precautions kept in mind. 

The room we will use this next time will be bombed with oust and kept very sanitary, but I don't think that is the complete problem.

--------------------
Shut up and Smile

OfflineDoobie
recluse
Male

Re: Trich is Death [Re: Doobie]
    #7372949 - 09/05/07 10:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, thank you Roger.  I think we found the problem.  Pastuerizing in oven bags instead of a pillow case.  The trich was all the way through. So, I have a feeling it was the substrate.  I know it can be made to work with the oven bags but not with my process.  The answer was go outside.  Found a nice spot for some jars that had no place to go but out.  So dug a small square hole filled with a little horse manure spread the colonized jars, (which were pinning in the jars in a dark place).  Covered with poo and a plastic cover to keep humid.  That patch colonized no problem and cased with moisture control soil. Very aggressive mycelia.  Large caps and small stems, but very potent at 1 gram.  I like doing it outdoors too, just not the same weight that I could get indoors.  I know what to try next time to see if the same contamination happens, but first sign and out the door they go with a little poo and some burmuda grass clippings.  The very upside is gotten good at making jars, and now doing successful grain transfers.  Have done PE6 and Mexicub outside, got more PE6 ready for casing and going to try to get pictures 'cause they look so cool with the large caps and they dry very thick and scrumptious looking.  F+ is in the process of colonizing some poo, so I'm interested in how they react...and potency...because I have an indoor buddy as the control for the same strain from the the same jars.  The outdoors prevailed over the trich :grin:

--------------------
Shut up and Smile

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds