Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
Re: Is religion a psychosis? [Re: meatcakeman]
    #7372608 - 09/05/07 09:37 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Is that because it never goes down?

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

Loc: N.W.T.
Re: Is religion a psychosis? [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #7372611 - 09/05/07 09:38 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, yeah. Some people take it too far.. I cant believe how badly some christians sell out their religion.:nonono:

--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is religion a psychosis? [Re: Acyl]
    #7372625 - 09/05/07 09:41 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thats why religion was ment to be a general rule, as was government. Once you start nitpicking all the bull shit, you end up with all the red tape we have today.

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7372637 - 09/05/07 09:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I reject religion because every individual sect claims to have discovered truth yet only one of them can be right; which means at least 99% of them are anywhere from being mildly to extremely wrong. Even if we could be assured that one branch of religion were correct us human beings would pervert it and misinterpret it. And we are also too fraught with weaknesses and flaws to consistently enact what we would need to do to follow God's will.

And most importantly, God and His will are so beyond our comprehension that we will never be able to completely fathom what we should strive for and what we should do. God has left us hopelessly lost and He set us up to fail. We can never know what truth is. Therefore, I refuse to follow God, any spirituality, or any philosophy of any type. Nihilism is the only thing that makes any sense.

God may be my creator and he may demand my devotion, but I venomously refuse the ticket. I guess I will have to answer for that when I stand before Him.

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: Is religion a psychosis? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #7372652 - 09/05/07 09:46 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It's funny to see stereotypes talking about stereotypes.

Matt Groening couldn't come up with better parody.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7372653 - 09/05/07 09:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LayYouIn said:
Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Most religious people (and most people in general) are not intelligent.

why do you think that?

Most people do not want to think through things for themselves. They want a person or an organization to lay out ready-made ideas and outlooks for them that they can easily identify with.

Religious people, ideologues, etc.. all of these people are weak and need to have other people tell them how to think.

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is religion a psychosis? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7372661 - 09/05/07 09:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

There are religious people smarter than you. Hell, there are ones smarter than me.

generalizations, as a rule, make the person saying them look like an idiot.

--------------------

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

#7372665 - 09/05/07 09:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

See, you really dont know what you're talking about.. You're saying that every sect has claimed their path is the one true path but you're only talking about like 4-5 main religions. Last time I checked, there were more than 4-5. Read up on Sikhsm.

--------------------

1 ,2

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7372666 - 09/05/07 09:49 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Acyl said:
There will be fuck ups in any system though.. look at all the sorts of governments we've thought up over the years. Which ones were perfect? I try to localize my concerns and hatred towards those things that are not 'right' in my book. Hating on religion in general because of a small minority only makes me overlook everything thats good about it.

Here's my beef with religious people in a nutshell:

Even though my belief in God and His alleged divine mandate are very consistent with most mainstream monotheistic religions, I have always had an ardent disdain for most religious people. I think that if someone is choosing to devote their life to something as profound and all-encompassing as a belief in a supernatural power (and the important realizations that come along with this) then they should have a sharp intellect and they should be completely cognizant of the gravity of what they are doing. Every once in a while I will come into contact with a religious person who has a powerful mind and a great understanding of his beliefs. But, more often than not I encounter religious people who are too stupid to think things through for themselves, who half-heartedly practice their faith only to avoid supernatural punishment or because it is all they have ever known, or who are too weak and scared to face the harsh realities of the world so they putridly and obsequiously grovel before a system of thought that has conveniently laid a path out for them. It seems that to think for one’s self is much too arduous for most people.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: Is religion a psychosis? [Re: Konnrade]
    #7372680 - 09/05/07 09:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Konnrade said:
There are religious people smarter than you. Hell, there are ones smarter than me.

I know damn well that there are religious people who are smarter than me. There are theologians presently and throughout history who are outright geniuses. That does not diminish the fact that most followers of any system of thought (whether it be a religion or a man-inspired ideology) are not intelligent.

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #7372692 - 09/05/07 09:55 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Konnrade said:

are you calling me a stereotype?  :confused:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7372698 - 09/05/07 09:56 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Acyl said:
See, you really dont know what you're talking about.. You're saying that every sect has claimed their path is the one true path but you're only talking about like 4-5 main religions. Last time I checked, there were more than 4-5. Read up on Sikhsm.

It comes down to one simple concept: Most religions and the individual sects of each religion claim that their teachings represent proof of an intelligent creator and what this creator wants or what we should strive for in general. And I assert that we cannot prove these declarations with evidence and our brains are too small to understand such cosmically important things anyway. It is like asking a hamster to do a calculus problem. Because we cannot hope to understand and consistently interpret and enact "Truth" then we should not bother. As I said, the only thing left after that is nihlism.

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7372706 - 09/05/07 09:58 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Quote:

Acyl said:
There will be fuck ups in any system though.. look at all the sorts of governments we've thought up over the years. Which ones were perfect? I try to localize my concerns and hatred towards those things that are not 'right' in my book. Hating on religion in general because of a small minority only makes me overlook everything thats good about it.

Here's my beef with religious people in a nutshell:

Even though my belief in God and His alleged divine mandate are very consistent with most mainstream monotheistic religions, I have always had an ardent disdain for most religious people. I think that if someone is choosing to devote their life to something as profound and all-encompassing as a belief in a supernatural power (and the important realizations that come along with this) then they should have a sharp intellect and they should be completely cognizant of the gravity of what they are doing. Every once in a while I will come into contact with a religious person who has a powerful mind and a great understanding of his beliefs. But, more often than not I encounter religious people who are too stupid to think things through for themselves, who half-heartedly practice their faith only to avoid supernatural punishment or because it is all they have ever known, or who are too weak and scared to face the harsh realities of the world so they putridly and obsequiously grovel before a system of thought that has conveniently laid a path out for them. It seems that to think for one’s self is much too arduous for most people.

And that is why i dont have a religion just an idea. I cant explain alot of things, but what i do know is that when i die, i wont feel guillty for not beliving in X religion.

--------------------

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#7372713 - 09/05/07 09:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You shouldnt need religion to be a good person, I agree. But if it helps you get to where you want to be, I see no harm done.

I think masses of people walking around believing the Earth's 10,000 years old,,, and that God placed fossils here to test our faiths (to trick us,, :rolleyes: ) is a negative thing..

That's basically delusional back peddling, because we know a lot more now than we did when the Bible was first written.

Ridiculous ideas are brought about because if any of God's word fails,, people are so stubborn they can't accept that what they believe so strongly may have flaws...

That's not very good for the progression of mankind.

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

#7372719 - 09/05/07 10:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

If you claim that people are dumb because they are following the teachings of a religion blindly you should consider yourself a bigger dumbass for blindly paying taxes to a government that spends all its money on a bullshit war.

So what if they dont think for themselves when they need to resolve an ethical problem? They shouldnt be labeled lazy. Theyre just following a system they that feel works for them. And for the most part it does, its not really doing them any harm so who gives a shit. They get by in life just fine and are happy with their lives. Anyone trying to 'free' them will only really end up hurting them.

Also, what harsh realities of the world are you speaking about?

--------------------

1 ,2

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7372721 - 09/05/07 10:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Quote:

Konnrade said:

I know damn well that there are religious people who are smarter than me.  There are theologians presently and throughout history who are outright geniuses.  That does not diminish the fact that most followers of any system of thought (whether it be a religion or a man-inspired ideology) are not intelligent.

Considering the average measured intelligence of humanity, most people are not intelligent, period. The correlation with following a school of thought is incidental.

Quote:

LayYouIn said:
Quote:

Konnrade said:

Not any person specifically...

but a religious subject comes up and you have the angsty atheistic statements, the anti-establishment statements... it's really quite amusing from a cynic's point of view.

--------------------

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is religion a psychosis? [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #7372728 - 09/05/07 10:01 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Fuck what anyone else says, what religion says. The only truth i have found is that making people happy will make you happy, making them feel like shit will make you feel like shit. Everything else is just the means to those ends.

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #7372739 - 09/05/07 10:04 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I used to be religous mormon, until I I heard almost everything was a sin, so I had nothing to do with a christian religon anymore.
I worship nature now and beer. :smile:

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #7372744 - 09/05/07 10:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Konnrade said:
Quote:

LayYouIn said:
Quote:

Konnrade said:

Not any person specifically...

but a religious subject comes up and you have the angsty atheistic statements, the anti-establishment statements... it's really quite amusing from a cynic's point of view.

oh, well im agnostic.  i just wanted to read what others thought about it.  :smile:

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

Re: Is religion a psychosis? [Re: Mike_yy]
    #7372748 - 09/05/07 10:07 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

You may be right, its not the best thing to happen for these people.. but whos going to change it? There will be no revolution.

Id prefer to have tamed masses who scared of god rather than ignorant masses of free spirited shit starters with no morals or ethics. Maybe those are extremes though? And I guess its not a good thing... but again, how could it be changed?

:shrug: I guess its not really my problem

--------------------

1 ,2

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order