Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Perlite humidification NOT working!
    #736177 - 07/10/02 08:51 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey everyone,

I set up my terrarium today, 4 cakes goin in tommorow. I put about a 1" - 1.5" layer of perlite and added water until the perlite was all moist, not soaked. I added some peroxide and let it sit. My terrarium is closed off fairly well, its lid does not snap on or anything it just fits on the edges well so i put about 15 lbs of books in a box on top to keep it well shut. The humidity stays at a constant 50%-60% , why? What did i do wrong?

Thanks
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Perlite humidification NOT working! [Re: Fd3000]
    #736251 - 07/10/02 09:16 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #736256 - 07/10/02 09:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

It might be too wet. You want to soak it in water for five or so minutes and then strain all excess water out. The perlite should feel wet against your skin but not have any standing water. Then, add about a 1/4 - 1/2inch of standing water that is not visible when you are looking at the perlite from the top. Also, is your hygrometer accurate?

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
    #736285 - 07/10/02 09:26 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

if you think it's your lid you could put cheap weather stripping along the top edge, or silicon gel (let it dry before you put the lid back on!) Possible to get any pics? Wait a few hours and check your setup %RH and let us know. No other openings in the terrarium?

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Perlite humidification NOT working! [Re: Frog31337]
    #736425 - 07/10/02 10:05 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ya my hygrometer is accurate, its an electric one from radio shack....$19.99.

It was only only about 20 mins after i assembled it that i posted, now the rH is up to 70% but im not sure if it will rise any more....

Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

OfflineMr_Puke
Suicidal Failure

#736542 - 07/10/02 10:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i have the same problem, so i used a bubbler

OfflineDarkTranquility
journeyman

Re: Perlite humidification NOT working! [Re: Mr_Puke]
    #736570 - 07/10/02 10:59 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Try 3-4 " of drained perlite, soaked for 15 minutes, but has to feel wet to the touch, not just humid.

--------------------
"Every picture hods a tale.
Every shade tells of a thousand words.
The artistry of living chaos is
pictured in the poets tears.
The final concept
Is all but a thought away. "

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Loc: TX
    #736645 - 07/10/02 11:36 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Strange that wet perlite works so well for others. Is there any condensation on the walls of you terrarium?

--------------------
All rhinos are endangered species...save the rhinos

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #736694 - 07/10/02 11:54 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

It was only only about 20 mins after i assembled it that i posted, now the rH is up to 70% but im not sure if it will rise any more....

Thats the thing with perlite...it takes a while to kick in. Is it up to proper humidity yet?

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Perlite humidification NOT working! [Re: phrozendata]
    #736712 - 07/10/02 12:02 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

My hydrometer/thermomiter was acting up so i had to fix it, i just put it back in the terrarium, ill get back to you on how its goin in about 1 hour.

Thanks for the help!
Fd

--------------------

Offlinebadjessejames
G HEAD

Loc: :) Passed out on my co...
Re: Perlite humidification NOT working! [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #736719 - 07/10/02 12:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Sometimes there sis condensation on the sides but I'm pretty sure that just means the inside of the terrerium is a different temp than the outsde.

--------------------

"My generation played a really mean trick on me. I thought we were all
goofing off together, but it turns out everybody else went and got rich
while I was sleeping." Mission Hill

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Re: Perlite humidification NOT working! [Re: badjessejames]
    #736731 - 07/10/02 12:19 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

It means that the humidity is high inside...period! The temp may also be different but well I already said it

--------------------

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Perlite humidification NOT working! [Re: badjessejames]
    #736733 - 07/10/02 12:19 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ya condensation means that it is warmer inside the terrarium(or whatever) that it is outside. If it was cooler in the terrarium than outside there would be condensation on the outside walls of the terrarium.

Fd

--------------------

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

#736753 - 07/10/02 12:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Please allow me to explain: The condensation itself is indeed a result of temperature differential. It is the same reason you need a defroster in your car. However, you must have air that is at near saturation for the temperature in order to have condensation. So then, lets say tha you have 78 degrees inside your terrarium and 72 degrees outside in your house and you see condensation on the walls of the terrarium. The air inside is at saturation for 72 degrees...equvalent to 100% humidity at 72 degrees...you can bet you ass that the humidity is well into the 90s for 78 degrees....do we see clearly now?

--------------------

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

#736761 - 07/10/02 12:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Unless of course you have some huge temp differential like 78 degrees and 40 degrees

--------------------

Offlinejdtwelve
Loc: Central MI
    #736774 - 07/10/02 12:39 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I used to have that same problem...
a few things to try-
Get a heat source on the bottom or the terrarium. Careful, you don't want to kill them! try a lightbulb maybe, that's what I use
Also, if you do have a light on your terrarium, it may be too hot. Try lowering the temp a few degrees by moving the heat source away a little, unless it's already below 75, and see if that works. Is this a cake or casing setup? You might also want to try a thicker layer of perlite. As long as there's a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch of non-submerged perlite, you should be fine.

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Perlite humidification NOT working! [Re: jdtwelve]
    #736785 - 07/10/02 12:46 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Its for cakes. My heating setup is an aqarium heater in a big glass full of water and peroxide. Its right in the middle of the terrarium. Been like 1 hour and the rH is 63%....shit!

Fd

--------------------

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

#736799 - 07/10/02 12:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Dude! you are impatient as a MF! Leave the fucker alone and see what the humidity looks like in the morning! You are going to drive yourself NUTS! Perlite works...Tons and tons of people use it! You are not going to be the only person that cannot use perlite...get a grip man...watched pots don't boil....Check on that shit in several hours...maybe tomarrow morning...then if you still have problems we will address them then

Peace,
TR

--------------------

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#737016 - 07/10/02 02:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If i wait till morning i will wait more than 12 hours. I thought you were supposed to fan min of 2 times a day. If it takes 12 hours to get to optimal humidiy then right when rH is right you would have to fan, therefor making the rH low again. Wouldn't that just beat the purpose?

The rH is still at 67% but im gonna stop asking becasue people just tell me to wait. I didnt know it take 4+ hours....

Fd

--------------------

Offlinejdtwelve
Loc: Central MI
    #738093 - 07/11/02 01:43 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I would suggest taking the heater out of the terrarium. Try heating it using only lights. Add another tray of perlite if you can. Remember, it's the surface area of the perlite that counts, not the amount. Just a few things to try

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order