Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

Amanita muscaria..Maybe??
    #7361374 - 09/02/07 10:57 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Found Sept.2.2007
Growing under pine trees in West Michigan.
No apparent color change with bruising.
Spore print. I assume, white.
Cap does not separate from the stem easily.
Stem appears to have rings at the top of the bulbous base (see picture).
Cap is bright yellow, more orange towards the center with raised, white warts.
I wanted to show mainly the stem in the picture since this is key in IDing this species. The rings are more apparent in on the specimen to the right.
Does this appear to be an Amanita muscaria?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIslandShroomer
The Other One
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Amanita muscaria..Maybe?? [Re: Zepplin]
    #7361471 - 09/02/07 11:30 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

cool pic, ive never seen an umbulant cap like that on an amanita before. It could be amanita muscaria, but its hard to tell, take some pictures of the cap if you still have the specimens

InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria..Maybe?? [Re: IslandShroomer]
    #7361505 - 09/02/07 11:42 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

This is a picture of the same mushroom that is shown in pic 1 (on the left)
No veils were seen on either specimen.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #7361515 - 09/02/07 11:47 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Without a microscope I don't think you'll be able to get enough information to make a positive ID. There are a lot of Amanita species with a pale tan to yellowish brown cap out there, and many of those are still undescribed (don't have names yet).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
    #7361768 - 09/02/07 01:27 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

that is way brighter yellow than any of the amanita muscarias from the area that i've surely identified (also from west michigan), although it does look a lot like var. guessowi. especially the one on the right, i have seen many very closely resembling these though the only difference being the lack of rings.

the lack of veils makes me wonder too. all the imposter mushrooms closely resembling amanita muscaria var. guessowi that i found last year in the area were found earlier like this, i may have found some, but i didn't find any FOR SURE amanita muscaria until later (like late september - early december) it's also been pretty dry in the area, just that one little stint of rain. all the imposters i found appeared in the drier parts of fall.

toxicman is right though its hard to be sure without a microscope, i plan on hopefully doing a bit more in depth work with a microscope and my amanita finds this year to show the variations in amanitas in the area. Of course if and when i do all this i'll share it with you all,

i need a new microscope before i can start though, though i should be getting in a month or so.

if you're in michigan you should make it up to the michigan gathering this winter, the summer one was a blast and i'm sure you could ride with us if you're in the west michigan area.

i also need to get a new digicam so i can start posting in hunting again, hopeuflly i can get one before the fall season hits full swing. its the only forum i really care about these days though i do still wander into the others from time to time, (grow logs and pics i enjoy too, i love pics)

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

Edited by CosmicFunGuy (09/02/07 01:28 PM)

InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria..Maybe?? [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #7361827 - 09/02/07 01:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Would be nice to have a decent microscope! I'm collecting spores in case someone would like to take a look at some.
I'll consider the Michigan gathering, thanks!:)

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #7361835 - 09/02/07 01:46 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like A. flavoconia to me, a mushroom with amyloid spores, as opposed to the inamyloid spores of A. muscaria.
If you are so inclined, perform a simple test by placing spores on glass and applying a spot of iodine tincture, noting the color change (it is import not to perform this test with spores on paper as the paper will react to the iodine).

EDIT: i just noticed the pine tree habitat... that is a good sign at least. A. flavoconia is primarily associated with oaks. However, a bit of promiscuity isn't unheard of, so IDs can't be made on the basis of tree species alone.

Edited by georgeM (09/02/07 02:11 PM)

InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria..Maybe?? [Re: georgeM]
    #7361852 - 09/02/07 01:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

georgeM said:
Looks like A. flavoconia to me, a mushroom with amyloid spores, as opposed to the inamyloid spores of A. muscaria.
If you are so inclined, perform a simple test by placing spores on glass and applying a spot of iodine tincture, noting the color change (it is import not to perform this test with spores on paper as the paper will react to the iodine).

I'm collecting some on foil as I speak..err type. I have a bottle of betadine or some iodine crystals..No iodine tincture. Might have to go out and purchase some. Thanks.

InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria..Maybe?? [Re: georgeM]
    #7362291 - 09/02/07 05:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

georgeM said:

Are you sure that A.flavoconia has amyloid spores?
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~gbarron/GILL%20FUNGI/LIGHT/aman1.htm
This site says they are inamyloid. The spores I have are inamyloid.

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#7362390 - 09/02/07 06:34 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hunting Muscaria is so much easier in the UK,, :grin:  .

InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria..Maybe?? [Re: Mike_yy]
    #7362550 - 09/02/07 07:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mikeyyork said:
Hunting Muscaria is so much easier in the UK,, :grin:  .

You could always send me some!:)

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #7363086 - 09/02/07 11:04 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting. According to mushroomexpert.com, Arora, Lincoff, and a few others, A. flavoconia spores are amyloid. Referencing Arora, spores of A. frostiana are non-amyloid. So I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags