Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCakes
some guy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizonee
Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: imachavel]
    #7362053 - 09/02/07 03:28 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
man, you know cactus rot if they get too much water, right?

Yes

Quote:

also, i believe cactus are very sun important, they love and need a lot of the full sun, i don't know if uv lights would compensate, but why not, you can make uv lights bright as the full sun in the sahara, right?

I live in an apartment and my back patio gets barely any sun.  I'm also a poor college student.  Flouros are the best I can do, and they do seem to be working fine in my current setup.

Quote:

the only problem... cactus can't handle too much water, so i'd see hydroponics being a complete waste of time, more sensitive plants would handle hydroponics better, cactus is a weathering plant, it loves nature, it wants a hot sunlight filled day most of the year, i don't know if could simulate that with hydroponics.
peace

I am planning on experimenting with watering schedules that would do well to replicate soil watering schedules.  I am thinking two waterings during the day, making sure the roots are drying in between.  Even if they didn't dry in between, they would definitely dry overnight, which would result in a technically once a day watering schedule.  Not so different from my soil watering schedule.

But hey, maybe you're right and this will fail terribly!  That would be okay. :cool:  I'm doing this to get answers, not to get mescaline.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCakes
some guy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: BlueDruid]
    #7362124 - 09/02/07 04:03 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BlueDruid said:
Don't know if this was the one I'd seen originally but there is a fair bit on the archive in this forum.

this looks the most useful as Search59 actually did it.

There is more more discussion on
nutrients and another .thread.

It looks like you should be able to do it, though I suggest keeping a control: one or 2 cacti of the same age & if possible the same genetics/source grown in cactus soil mix in the same location as the hydro cacti for comparison

Sweet, thanks for the links.

--------------------

OfflineCakes
some guy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: Cakes]
    #7369785 - 09/05/07 02:47 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

*Bump*

--------------------

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #7369843 - 09/05/07 04:29 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Looks hardcore i cant wait for results good luck

InvisibleBlueDruid
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: implee]
    #7369898 - 09/05/07 05:42 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It looks like you're getting organised on this, well done.

A couple of thoughts:
Are the couplings attached vertically to the base of the container, I can't make it out in the pics but if they are I think you may have problems in getting it to stand upright on the 2 couplings.

How are you putting the lower & upper chambers together?

I think you may have problems getting the cactus roots out of the plant pots intact.

OfflineCakes
some guy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: BlueDruid]
    #7370181 - 09/05/07 09:13 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Are the couplings attached vertically to the base of the container, I can't make it out in the pics but if they are I think you may have problems in getting it to stand upright on the 2 couplings.

Yeah they are vertical. If I were to put them on the sides the system wouldn't work. I will most likely be putting the lower chamber on the floor, and the upper chamber set atop some cinder blocks or something.

Quote:

How are you putting the lower & upper chambers together?

I'm planning on connecting the two systems with polytube. Other than that, as long as the upper chamber is higher up than the lower chamber, no attachment is needed.

Quote:

I think you may have problems getting the cactus roots out of the plant pots intact.

This is very true. I think the only way to get around that would be to user bigger holes in the pots, but then I am limiting what I can use for growing media. I'm not too worried about it though. If I ever decide to go back to a normal soil grow the roots will need to come off anyway.

--------------------

Offlineone time post
HorticulturalSurgeon
Male User Gallery
Loc: A Tropical Backwater
Re: My *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment *Construction Update 9/5/07* [Re: Cakes]
    #7370848 - 09/05/07 01:23 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

In January I started growing Pereskiopsis Spathulata using Deep Water Culture, a hydroponic technique I've used for years for growing certain flowering annuals. I started growing outside (parial sun) but had many problems with opportunistic pathogens (fusarium,etc.). Upon moving the plants inside, I was able to grow them without much problem, but with only 1000w of MH light, the Pereskiopsis stretched (etoilated) badly, so after about 6 weeks I called the project off. The largest plant was potted and still serves as a 'mother' plant for generating new cuttings.

What I learned : P. Spathulata liked strong nutes (TDS 1100) and a pH of 7.2 or better. I used 1 ml/gal 35% H2O2 on a daily basis to ward off 'root rot'. I chose P. Spathulata because IME the roots do not need to dry between waterings, unlike most other cacti.

Good luck with your experiments -- OTP

--------------------
I'm as honest as a dealing man can be -- Jerry Garcia

Check my Trade List : http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Journal/172698

OfflineCakes
some guy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment *Construction Update 9/5/07* [Re: one time post]
    #7371315 - 09/05/07 03:53 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, a 1000w HPS? That really makes me think me 4 23w flouros are completely pointless.

Thanks a ton for the info!

--------------------

Offlinejccc
just aotherhuman
 User Gallery

#7371326 - 09/05/07 03:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Not positive about this but i think cacti cells(inside the cacti) can only hold a certain amount of water before they burst...naturally there not made for that...but good luck

Offlineone time post
HorticulturalSurgeon
Male User Gallery
Re: My *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment *Construction Update 9/5/07* [Re: Cakes]
    #7371407 - 09/05/07 04:25 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Oops ! One more suggestion : If using a flood and drain system, only flood during lights out. Cacti are CAM (crassulaic acid metabolism) plants which means the roots only take up moisture and nutrients at night -- OTP.

--------------------

Check my Trade List : http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Journal/172698

OfflineTurntableJunky
Ethno Grower
Male

Loc: Sydney
Re: My *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment *Construction Update 9/5/07* [Re: one time post]
    #7371433 - 09/05/07 04:34 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

O fuck. Does this mean it would be bad having my san pedro seedlings on a 24 hour photo period?

--------------------

Offlineone time post
HorticulturalSurgeon
Male User Gallery
Re: My *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment *Construction Update 9/5/07* [Re: TurntableJunky]
    #7371488 - 09/05/07 04:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

For sure ! I had an HID (sodium) light in my yard for security at night, and couldn't figure out why the plants closest to it were stretching, and why the cacti close to it were doing virtually nothing.

CAM plants absorb and store sunlight during the day -- that's all they do. The best photoperiod I've found is 18/6, and if cut back to 14/10 flowering will be induced in lophophora's and ariocarpus ...

--------------------

OfflineTurntableJunky
Ethno Grower
Male

Loc: Sydney
    #7371557 - 09/05/07 05:05 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Cool thanx for the help. btw you should ask ythan to give you a name change.

--------------------

OfflineZexter
Seeker Of Knowledge
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA - Zone 6a Flag
Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #7374144 - 09/06/07 11:04 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

uarewotueat said:
Quote:

sublimistri said:
Quote:

CptnGarden said:
and from what ive read, hydroponic cacti dont really grow that much faster than soiled cacti. your better off grafting it to peresk and burrying the peresk in the soil :smile:

Doesnt grafting make cacti's lose potency vs normal rooting systems?

thats true, but not everyone grows cacti for potency man...
there are some actual botanists on this forum who grow cacti for their beauty,
as opposed to dumb kids who will grow anything just to get wasted...
but i admit, the ratio of dumb kids is pretty high... :rolleyes:

so by enjoying growing plants for the art of the grow and enjoying using the plants for mind expansion, that makes me a dumb kid? i beg to differ.

i hope youre talkin about kids who dont go as far as growing for the art, and arent into mind expansion, and like u said, only want to get UBER FUCKDZ UP, YO.

i really enjoy growing plants, and i really enjoy using them. i think more people should

CAKES: great pics. the idea above about peresk is a great idea for what youre doin. hope all works out for ya, happy growin

--------------------
Life Is Only The Perception Of Being Alive ~Zexter

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: Zexter]
    #7374553 - 09/06/07 01:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zexter said:
so by enjoying growing plants for the art of the grow and enjoying using the plants for mind expansion, that makes me a dumb kid? i beg to differ.

i didnt call u anything, but if u take offence to that statement, maybe u belong within that bracket...

Quote:

Zexter said:
i hope youre talkin about kids who dont go as far as growing for the art, and arent into mind expansion, and like u said, only want to get UBER FUCKDZ UP, YO.

thats wot i said... :rolleyes:

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineZexter
Seeker Of Knowledge
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA - Zone 6a Flag
    #7374731 - 09/06/07 02:41 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i didnt take offence to that. but just because someone said doesnt that lower the potency, doesnt mean they just want to get wasted all the time.

it just seemed a little acussing, thats it.

ps. is there a feud between a few people in here that im not aware of? im starting to think there is. :shake:

edit: nevermind,ha just looked at your signature.

--------------------
Life Is Only The Perception Of Being Alive ~Zexter

Edited by Zexter (09/06/07 02:43 PM)

Offlinecharliewired
Stranger
    #7374788 - 09/06/07 02:54 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Im interested to see how this comes out,
As was stated ->nighttime<- dripline feedings to cactus anchored in a small cube of rockwool and surrounded by lava rock pellets to minimize the moisture lingering in the root system would be best IMHO..
as opposed to ebb and flow in rockwool or even dripline in rockwool alone - rockwool holds 80% moisture and that might be too much - aeroponic would be best really but not everyone is familiar with that technology,,,, and it might be difficult to support cacti as it grew taller using this method...
But a rockwool cube that seats the main taproot, surrounded by lavarock pellets, would be able to completely drain and partially dry between feedings - also
Im not sure about needing 1000w or not- this was discussed on another board, and 1000w it was thought might be too hot on cactus flesh, unless air cooled hoods were employed for the bulbs,,,or waterjackets,,, also wall mounted oscillating fans would be extremely beneficial;
I think that one of ea MH and HPS in either 2x400w or 1x400HPS and 1x250MH in conjunction might be more effective... I think less can be more in this case.
Another idea that was kicked around was the possibilty of vertically mounted flouro ballasts 2x40w = 1xcool white & 1xfull spectrum in ea ballast mounted every 4' or so - around the grow table, in order to ensure even light along the length of the cactus - to prevent etoilation,,, this might bea more important factor than some people realize because unlike mj and other plants that splay thier leaves in order to catch light, the cacti rely on thier skin for photosynthetic processes and of course that membrane runs the full length of the cacti, not just the top...where light would be concentrated...
At any rate the general concensus was that not enough growth could be generated in cacti this way, to justify the hydro consumed and the expense of it,,,unless your stealing power of course... thats up to you..
Anyway - these are just some observations, and humble opinions from an old dog,,, offered as suggestions for you to either consider or reject...
I do have considerable experience with HID light growrooms - from my distant past :smile:  but Im not a cactus expert..
but Im working on it - Good luck looking forward to updates
Cheers
cw

Edited by charliewired (09/06/07 02:57 PM)

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: Zexter]
    #7374838 - 09/06/07 03:07 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zexter said:
ps. is there a feud between a few people in here that im not aware of? im starting to think there is. :shake:

no feud, just the regulars in here get pissed when n00bs make uninformed posts and continually break the rules.
EDIT: thats in reference to my sig btw.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Edited by uarewotueat (09/06/07 03:11 PM)

OfflineTeotzlcoatl
Teotzlcoatl
Male

Loc: South-Eastern USA
    #7374877 - 09/06/07 03:18 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Aw come on man...why do you have to start something again...

I thought we were cool, I'm following the rules now aren't I?

--------------------
"We are the one's we have been waiting for"-Hopi proverb

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: My Soon-to-Be *Hydroponic* Cactus Experiment [Re: Teotzlcoatl]
    #7374895 - 09/06/07 03:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

zexter bought it back up, not me :smile:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates