Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Kids as young as 9 getting hooked to booze
    #7355842 - 08/31/07 12:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.webindia123.com/news/articles/Health/20070831/757431.html

A review study has found that kids have started drinking even when they are as young as 9-years old.

The researchers carrying out the study have now asked teachers and parents to keep a vigil over kids to ensure that they do not take to drinking starting as early as the fourth grade.

The study found that children in fourth, fifth and sixth grades have already started hitting the bottle.

"A review of national and state wide surveys conducted over the last 15 years shows that among typical 4th graders, 10 pct have already had more than a sip of alcohol and 7pct have had a drink in the past year. While the numbers are small in the fourth grade, the surveys show that the percent of children who have used alcohol increases with age, and doubles between grades four and six. The largest jump in rates occurs between grades five and six," according to John E. Donovan, Ph.D., an associate professor of psychiatry and epidemiology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Dr. Donovan said that although there are many published national surveys of alcohol use among adolescents, national surveys and those conducted by state governments that have looked at alcohol use among young children are often unpublished. He found that 39 of the 50 states have conducted state wide surveys that included children in the 6th grade or younger. His study summarized the results of the available national surveys as well as the state wide surveys conducted by Arizona, Delaware, New York, Ohio and Texas, which included fourth and fifth graders.

Several of the surveys conducted on a regular basis since 1990 show that the numbers of elementary school children who have ever used alcohol, who have used alcohol in the past year, and who have used alcohol in the past month have all decreased significantly over time.

"But the numbers are still alarming because of the connection between early alcohol consumption and negative outcomes later during both adolescence and young adulthood. It is this linkage that argues most strongly for preventing alcohol use prior to adolescence," Donovan said.

The surveys also show that African-American children are at as much at risk for early drinking as are other children, despite their lower risk for drinking as adolescents.

"Children are drinking, and our concern with underage drinking needs to start in elementary school, not in high school or college. Research shows that prevention programs should begin before the targeted behaviour begins. But alcohol use prevention programs among 5th graders or younger students have shown inconsistent results. Successful programs aimed at these children have involved parents and other family members, not just the children in the school setting," according to Donovan.

"Prior to this review, these data on children's drinking were buried in foundation or state government reports, or stored on hard-to-find internet web sites, so we didn't know the true extent of the problem of children's involvement with alcohol," he said.

Donovan located four national surveys that included questions about children's alcohol and drug use. The four surveys were the Partnership Attitude Tracking Study (PATS), the National Survey of Parents and Youth (NSPY), the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HSBC) survey and the PRIDE Survey. These surveys included limited questions about children's use of alcohol. Surveys of young children conducted by states included versions of the Youth Risk Behaviour Survey (YRBS), the Communities that Care (CTC) questionnaire, and the PRIDE survey

The study by the University of Pittsburgh researcher was funded by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. It points out the need for an ongoing national survey of children aged 12 and under to monitor children's alcohol use and the need for alcohol prevention efforts in this population.

"Knowing how many children have had experience with alcohol would serve as an indicator of the number potentially at risk for later use of marijuana and other illicit drugs. Childhood use of alcohol also predicts involvement in alcohol problems, alcohol abuse and dependence in both adolescence and adulthood. And early drinking relates to a variety of other problems, including absences from school, delinquent behaviour, drinking and driving, sexual intercourse and pregnancy," Donovan said.

The study, "Really Underage Drinkers: The Epidemiology of Children's Alcohol Use in the United States" is published in the September issue of Prevention Science, a peer-reviewed journal of the Society for Prevention Research (SPR). (ANI)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleComputerTekGuy
Teh Awesome
Male User Gallery

Re: Kids as young as 9 getting hooked to booze [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #7356060 - 08/31/07 01:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I started in 8th.

and i thought i was young when i started

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: Kids as young as 9 getting hooked to booze [Re: ComputerTekGuy]
    #7356102 - 08/31/07 01:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

...And who's fault is it that kids as young as nine are getting into booze?

CLEARLY THE ALCOHOL COMPANIES AND THE LIBERAL JEW RUN MEDIA!!!

It's great that I've seen so many kids in so many horrible situations and most of them pull it together by eighteen, but no one gives a fuck about these kids until they become a statistic. You know what? Kids are like adults, a couple of winners, most of them just average, and then a whole lot of losers. But because of goddamn stupid uptight religious and liberal people who can't handle the way world is want to stick their goddamn beliefs and lifestyle on everyone. You know a lot of kids are born to be fuckups, addicts, and menaces to society. With the way the world works what with mental illness, natural selection, and capitalism that's just the way it is. So why don't they shut the fuck up and keep to themselves instead of putting a big S on their chest and "trying to save the world" with a bible or a pointless tax draining educational program that only serves to hinder children rather than help them.

Wow... I kind of went on a rant there.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Edited by StrandedVoyager (08/31/07 01:49 PM)

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Kids as young as 9 getting hooked to booze [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7356343 - 08/31/07 03:13 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

actually the "kids" choose to drink. no-one is holding a gun to their heads.

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#7356379 - 08/31/07 03:25 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i started drinking when i was 9 lol

coincidental

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #7356381 - 08/31/07 03:26 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
actually the "kids" choose to drink. no-one is holding a gun to their heads.

That was actually my point... sorry I think that got lost in the rage somewhere.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male

Loc: Flag
    #7357045 - 08/31/07 07:27 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Can you imagine a drunken slutty elementary girl? I'm trying not to, too bad they weren't around till I got into Jr.High

--------------------

"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

OfflineEndlessness
Nexus Refugee

Re: Kids as young as 9 getting hooked to booze [Re: UnholyChild666]
    #7361528 - 09/02/07 11:52 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The wonderful results of the alcohol industry´s advertisement/encouragement and the artificially internalized identification between alcohol and social fun

way to go, hypocrite society.. pretend to be against drugs while making sure people use exactly the other drugs that help in the mass control.... and when the shit hits the fan, blame the youth... that always works out good

Edited by Endlessness (09/02/07 11:53 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom