Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened.
    #7356312 - 08/31/07 03:03 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/08/man-hangs-self-.html

For the first time in 21 years of Burning Man, a Burner has committed suicide, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

A man was found hanging inside a two-story-high tent this morning, said the federal Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the festival on the Black Rock Desert in northern Nevada. The man's identity has not been released pending notification of his family.

He dangled for two hours before anyone in the big tent thought to bring him down, said Mark Pirtle, special agent in charge.

"His friends thought he was doing an art piece," he said.

So far, an estimated 36,000 people have arrived at the gathering, with 46,000 expected by the time things end Saturday with the burning of a 40-foot-tall wooden man. Earlier this week, a participant set the structure ablaze and was charged with arson. Burning Man organizers say the man will be rebuilt in time for the official burn.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedirtworshipper
Sitting in the heart cave
Male User Gallery

Loc: at The Guru's lotus feet
Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7356342 - 08/31/07 03:13 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

wow....

--------------------

“You've got as many lives as you like, and more, even ones you don't want.” - George Harrison

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7356389 - 08/31/07 03:28 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Fucking A?! WTF!

First some numb-nut burns the "man" early then this retard. WTF is wrong with people!

Kill yourselves at your house, not a fucking festival!

Jesus Christ!

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Edited by sui (08/31/07 03:29 PM)

Male

Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: sui]
    #7356395 - 08/31/07 03:30 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Worst year ever to go to Burning Man. And to think - this is the first year that I seriously considered it.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #7356404 - 08/31/07 03:32 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

There's a real dark cloud growing over humanity, this as a sign of that.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Edited by StrandedVoyager (08/31/07 03:40 PM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: sui]
    #7356408 - 08/31/07 03:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

these people were placed by the government to try and make us look bad

where the fucks my foil hat.

OfflineAJ4U
Cloud N9ne
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty Jersey
Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7356409 - 08/31/07 03:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:
There's a real dark cloud growing over humanity, I just this as a sign of that.

yaaaaa another fool hangs himself, your just sensing this 'cloud'?

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #7356433 - 08/31/07 03:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

People like to kill themselves at happy events.  It's nothing new.  It's a chance to make your death known to as many people as possible, to involve everyone celebrating around you in the well of your demise.  I obviously don't agree with this tactic, but I'm certainly not surprised to hear that this has happened at Burning Man.  It happens everywhere and I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal.  :shrug:  It isn't a sign of anything in my opinion.  Some people don't have the best judgement in deciding where it will happen and make selfish choices. 

I wish people would just kill themselves at home, but some people don't have a home they are comfortable at I guess.

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: AJ4U]
    #7356450 - 08/31/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

AJ4U said:
Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:

Think about the environment of Burning Man... the good vibes, the good people, the good times. Yet this individual felt so hampered and dark within himself that he took his own life in this place. Think about what mentally, emotionally, and spiritually it would take to get to that point where you would violently take your life in such a place and at such a time. I would remember that this is the first time that this has happened in this place and I would compare that with a lot of other violent crazed drug stories out there of recent, and then measure it with the general plight of the American experience humanity in general and when all that is considered I feel pretty reasonable in my statement about the dark cloud over humanity growing.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
    #7356460 - 08/31/07 03:48 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

well .. it's not like people haven't died there before.

but suicide is kinda gay. i almost went this year. maybe it's a good thing the person i was supposed to go with is a fucking asshole/pussy/fag.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #7356469 - 08/31/07 03:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Let me know the next one you consider going to.  This is all your fault.  :crankey:

Male

Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: Cowgold]
    #7356476 - 08/31/07 03:53 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #7356632 - 08/31/07 04:50 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like a pretty crappy time. I was seriously considering going this year as well. Good thing I'm broke!

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: lukeboots]
    #7356904 - 08/31/07 06:39 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:pantsfase:

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #7357000 - 08/31/07 07:13 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

OneLessForeskin said:
Worst year ever to go to Burning Man. And to think - this is the first year that I seriously considered it.

--------------------

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7357042 - 08/31/07 07:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:
Quote:

AJ4U said:
Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:

Think about the environment of Burning Man... the good vibes, the good people, the good times. Yet this individual felt so hampered and dark within himself that he took his own life in this place. Think about what mentally, emotionally, and spiritually it would take to get to that point where you would violently take your life in such a place and at such a time. I would remember that this is the first time that this has happened in this place and I would compare that with a lot of other violent crazed drug stories out there of recent, and then measure it with the general plight of the American experience humanity in general and when all that is considered I feel pretty reasonable in my statement about the dark cloud over humanity growing.

There have always been violent and crazy people, there have always been sane and peaceful people. There have always been people who thought the world was ending or going to shit or whatever when it was really just staying the same. One man's personal crisis isn't a sign of anything big, even if he shares that crisis with others.

I bet almost everybody at Burning Man is having a great time right now, not worrying about an isolated incident or two.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: supercollider]
    #7357075 - 08/31/07 07:39 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

man, things like this seriously jeapordise burning man's existance, atleast in its present location in the black rock desert.

I spend most off my year out in nevada, very close to the burning man site, and the locals dont like it all that much, the cops hate, it and the courts loathe it, despite the $40,000 cash payment paid to the countys court house where its held

I can also tell you that since its on Public (blm) land, It wouldnt take very much at all to pull their permit, and send them packing.....

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: supercollider]
    #7357352 - 08/31/07 09:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

supercollider said:
There have always been violent and crazy people, there have always been sane and peaceful people. There have always been people who thought the world was ending or going to shit or whatever when it was really just staying the same. One man's personal crisis isn't a sign of anything big, even if he shares that crisis with others.

I bet almost everybody at Burning Man is having a great time right now, not worrying about an isolated incident or two.

I agree. I mean if nothing else think about the Crusades or some of the things done during the Roman Empire. There have always been times where horrible things, mass deaths occurred.

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7357416 - 08/31/07 10:15 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i was considering going too!!! :grin:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Someone committed suicide at Burning Man, first time it's ever happened. [Re: Locus]
    #7357479 - 08/31/07 10:36 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

actually dieing in a place full of people who think and act just like you...who accept you mostly.

its almost, tribal or something

i mean its like a sacrifice...wait thats not it either....what the hell am i looking for here....

to die in a community and not among sheep would be awsome.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom