Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWONKA
I think i tooktoo much
 User Gallery

The Drug War Sunset?
    #7350168 - 08/30/07 12:51 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleralphroks
humaniform

Loc: Up north passed Alaska
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: WONKA]
    #7350190 - 08/30/07 12:57 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

"
"

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Quote:

Drug policy reform is in the media spotlight with a cover article in the latest issue of Foreign Policy, a prestigious international magazine of global politics, economics, and ideas, as well as a slew of other media coverage.

DPA executive director Ethan Nadelmann takes on a range of drug policy ideas in the piece, challenging the notion that the global war on drugs can be won and asserting that legalization may be the best approach.

The high-profile article will be provocative discussion fodder among Foreign Policy's audience of influential business and government leaders in the U.S. and around the world. It has already inspired a thoughtful television piece featuring Nadelmann on The Fox Report, a FOX News program.

The recent announcement of a new anti-drug aid package for Mexico has also prompted discussion of reform in the media. The Los Angeles Times ran a piece by Ethan Nadelmann in which he offered a reality check on the likelihood of Mexico turning a corner in its fight against the drug trade. He suggested an alternative approach in which Mexico focuses on all violence--drug-related or otherwise, while the U.S. commits to such measures as increased treatment access on its own soil, rather than focusing so heavily on international drug control. He also encouraged a discussion at high levels of government on the failures of drug prohibition. Nadelmann can be heard speaking on this issue on a recent edition of To the Point, a nationally syndicated radio show.

Arnold Trebach, one of the co-founders of the original Drug Policy Foundation in 1987, took on the related issue of the connection between Mexican drug cartels and terrorists, with an op-ed in the Washington Times. He pointed to the war on drugs as a misuse of resources and to legalization as a way to make the drug trade less lucrative.

TIME, the weekly news magazine, recently looked at the injustice of New York's Rockefeller Drug Laws, describing the work of Real Reform New York to get these draconian sentencing laws changed. The Rockefeller Drug Laws also came up in the Albany Times-Union, which ran an op-ed by DPA's Gabriel Sayegh advocating Rockefeller reform.

A drug policy reform angle has been popping up on other issues as well. The Des Moines Register recently ran an op-ed by DPA staffers Tony Newman and Bill Piper in response to the news that the FBI has relaxed its hiring criteria so that more people with a history of drug use are eligible for employment. The op-ed asserted that people should not be discriminated against for what they put in their bodies when they are not at work. A letter to the editor by Bill Piper on the same issue also appeared in the Washington Post.

With all of this media attention on drug policy, discussion of the issues is becoming increasingly widespread, both in homes at the dinner table and in government offices.

--------------------
"Please read and learn and relay knowledge not misinformation! Thank you"-hyphae

Offlinepabloescabar
Stranger thanyou
 User Gallery

Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: ralphroks]
    #7350304 - 08/30/07 01:35 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

awesome:rockon: get it in the spotlight! if fox news gets behind legalization then anyone can

--------------------

Offlinetwigz
stick boy
 User Gallery

Loc: From up in a tree
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: pabloescabar]
    #7350847 - 08/30/07 09:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:bongload: sweet

--------------------
Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Offlineaspore
myconaut
 User Gallery

Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: twigz]
    #7350919 - 08/30/07 10:02 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I like how he starts with cocaine heroin and meth. Let's legalize, or find a middle for this hard shit and it will be okay.

Then it's like, 'f that, that will make it worse!'

But what about weed?

Ahh, who cares about weed anymore...

(just what I wanted to hear....heheheh)

--------------------

c        l        i      c        k        m        e

Invisibleelbisivni
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: aspore]
    #7350964 - 08/30/07 10:30 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Money is the root of more evil and the source of more violence, theft and ruined lives than all legal and illegal drugs combined. According to the logic of the Deputy US Drug Czar in the video, money should be illegal too. If some of us can't be responsible and can't stand to face the consequences of our actions then no wonder why we need governments to write inane policies and babysit the masses.

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Offlinefungusfun1
DayTripper

Loc: Out There
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: elbisivni]
    #7351478 - 08/30/07 01:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

all i ask for as a recreational drug user is to be treated with as much respect as a homosexual gets these days, is that too much to ask?:confused:

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: fungusfun1]
    #7351602 - 08/30/07 01:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fungusfun1 said:
all i ask for as a recreational drug user is to be treated with as much respect as a homosexual gets these days, is that too much to ask?:confused:

Really ignorant statement seeing as homosexuals face government endorsed discrimination just like drug users... except it is for being not for what you put in your body.

I also agree this came out of now where lol, fox news wtf?! Good to see though.

--------------------

Edited by ReposadoXochipilli (08/30/07 01:38 PM)

Offlinechristus
Seeker
Male User Gallery
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #7351679 - 08/30/07 01:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

LukeMWSki said:
except it is for being not for what you put in your body.

lol... yes it is

--------------------

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: christus]
    #7351794 - 08/30/07 02:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

best unintentional joke of the day, lol

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

OfflineThePeruvianTorch
Cactidude
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: Infrared]
    #7351821 - 08/30/07 02:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

dah!

--------------------
my techno: www.myspace.com/funkbungus
my acoustic:

www.myspace.com/icanplaythetambourine

Offlinepabloescabar
Stranger thanyou
 User Gallery

Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: fungusfun1]
    #7352358 - 08/30/07 04:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fungusfun1 said:

I get what your saying, you can lose your job if you even so much as refer to a homosexual as gay, at least in government contract jobs. But if you test positive for thc then you are usually fired. Any drug convictions and you can't get a fafsa loan for school, and if you don't let someone get a job because they're gay then you will get lawsuits up the ass so ya there is definitely a difference in respect towards a drug user and homosexuals. I just wish I could get the same treatment and respect as a alcohol user. I think It's all the "closet potheads" that are fucking the movement towards legalization. They are to afraid that to admit to smoking so they just keep there mouth shut. The southpark episode were all the kids have lice comes to mind.

--------------------

OfflineIts Pat
Don't OD dipshit nub.
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN...
Re: The Drug War Sunset? [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #7352933 - 08/30/07 07:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

As we all know "FOX NEWS" is a contradiction in terms. Just like Military Intelligence!

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon pH Test Strips

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service