Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackguy
Tourist
 User Gallery

weird pinnings
    #7340631 - 08/27/07 01:43 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I just don't get this whole mushroom thing. Setup a FC with the FAE holes, perlite, and temp gauge, and put two PFtek cakes in it with a shitty, last minute un-pasturized/un-sterilized casing substrate (50/50). I gingerly fan the cakes with my electric fan and mist too 3-4 times daily. Guess which one is pinning now? : the casing. And it's pinning in small clusters where the mycelium broke through.

It's been 10 days and now sign of pinning on the cakes, just lots of knots and spikey rhizomorphic growth.

meh.

--------------------
"Man is evolving...but it's difficult to see his progress with a Western perception of time. The Hindus think of time in much larger segments. They watch the hour hand of the clock while we in the West are preoccupied with the second hand."
-David Lynch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblackguy
Tourist
 User Gallery

Re: weird pinnings [Re: blackguy]
    #7340648 - 08/27/07 01:47 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

but hey, at least 12 pins on casing

--------------------
"Man is evolving...but it's difficult to see his progress with a Western perception of time. The Hindus think of time in much larger segments. They watch the hour hand of the clock while we in the West are preoccupied with the second hand."
-David Lynch

Offlinedjcube
Backwoods Shaman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Alaska
    #7340675 - 08/27/07 01:57 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

If your misting your cakes 3-4 times a day your probably misting too much. What are your temps? How much light are you giving? If all else fails, make a casing out of your cakes, since you seem to have that down a little.

OfflineDiabloSmurf
Shake it.. Shakeit.. sugaree!
Male

Loc: Ohio
    #7340682 - 08/27/07 01:58 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Give it a couple more days im sure they will start pinning like crazy.. You got a 12/12 lighting?

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: weird pinnings [Re: DiabloSmurf]
    #7340764 - 08/27/07 02:32 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

cakes are harder to pin than casings in my humble opinion.

A cake is literally nothing more than a piece of fully colonized substrate shaped into a cylinder and left out to pin. Because in order to form pins, the mycelium colony needs steady humidity in the 92-99% range, this means you have to produce that much humidity in a chamber while attempting to control temps and frequent fresh-air exchange.

Casings are a fully colonized substrate that has a nice, even, moist humidity blanket on top of it which means we only need our humidity to hover around the 80-85% range. And while that only seems like ten points in the grand scheme of things, it is INFINITELY easier to maintain.

---
Keep a handle on your humidity, don't neglect your need for fresh air and you'll pin those cakes soon enough.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlineblackguy
Tourist
 User Gallery

Re: weird pinnings [Re: mycocurious]
    #7340876 - 08/27/07 03:17 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the input, I guess I'll turn the cakes into casings. Even if it goes wrong, it won't be that much of a loss I guess.

--------------------
-David Lynch

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7340942 - 08/27/07 03:40 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

read up on creating a substrate out of coco-coir (pet stores) and used coffee grounds (free from starbucks) as well as how to pasteurize the substrate mixture.

If you put two cakes inside a gladware oventray along with a quart or two of that substrate and then case that with some jiffy mix or similar type casing material you'll have a much better yield.

but the key is in the research.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate