Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehossfield
Goomba
preserving bulk substrate?
    #7337629 - 08/27/07 04:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

after i steralize my bags in the PC can i freeze the substrate till im ready to inoculate it?

--------------------

trust the fungus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedjcube
Backwoods Shaman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Alaska
Re: preserving bulk substrate? [Re: hossfield]
    #7337639 - 08/27/07 04:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I dont think freezing would be advisable, but you can refrigrate for an extended period of time.

Offlinedjcube
Backwoods Shaman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Alaska
Re: preserving bulk substrate? [Re: djcube]
    #7337640 - 08/27/07 04:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

oh, and welcome to the shroomery

Offlinehossfield
Goomba
Re: preserving bulk substrate? [Re: djcube]
    #7337649 - 08/27/07 04:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

wouldnt freezing it prevent any bacteria that survived the PC from taking over the substrate while its not inoculated?

--------------------

trust the fungus

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
    #7337714 - 08/27/07 04:51 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I would freeze it before i would leave it in the fridge.;)

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
    #7337720 - 08/27/07 04:52 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Come in and have a look around. Join #cultivation for answers.:thumbup:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/chat.php

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: preserving bulk substrate? [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #7338898 - 08/27/07 02:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the bottom line is that sterility is a resource you cannot (reasonably) preserve. Always consider it suspicious when not freshly sterilized / pasteurized.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with preserving substrates in the freezer to be thawed and sterilized down the road, but generally the same net effect can be achieved just by letting it dry out completely in the sun. Once dried, substrates aren't very appealing to active colonization.

Either way, sterilization should be considered a step best performed within 36-48 hours of use.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlinehossfield
Goomba
Re: preserving bulk substrate? [Re: mycocurious]
    #7340761 - 08/27/07 11:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ok ill prolly PC it, stick it in the freezer, then pc it again at a later date when im ready to inoc the stuff

--------------------

trust the fungus

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
    #7340855 - 08/28/07 12:08 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think you found your answer here pretty quickly. I would never personally prepare any substrate you're not prepared to use within 5-7 days. As Mycocurious so eloquently pointed out, sterility is never guaranteed to a point.

Mix what you need, PC, and put on a shelf for use within 5-7 days. I would not recommend pressure cooking again.

Welcome to the Shroomery!

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: preserving bulk substrate? [Re: Wronguy]
    #7340931 - 08/28/07 12:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Wronguy said:
Mix what you need, PC, and put on a shelf for use within 5-7 days. I would not recommend pressure cooking again.

To expound upon this... when you sterilize something, you are cooking it.  You're causing the complex starches and carbohydrates to break down into more simple sugars and some essential micro-nutrients (minerals, vitamins, etc.) are lost completely to the heat. 

Personally, I only sterilize my grain-spawn.  My substrates and casing mixtures are steam pasteurized to prevent them from being cooked as such.  In terms of the substrate it gives the mycelium a more nutritious food-source by allowing them do break down their food on their own terms.  And, in the case of casing mixtures, not cooking it means that you won't cause any of the normally non-nutritious peat moss to break down into simple sugars which are nutritious to incoming contaminate sources.

Obviously, especially in the case of casing mixtures, this is still a relatively heated debate but from the junk-science i've researched on the matter, it seemed more logical to pasteurize it only.

Besides, I can pasteurize roughly six cubic feet (180 quarts) of material at a time .vs. only about 1/10th of that amount when sterilizing.  :grin:

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlinehossfield
Goomba
Re: preserving bulk substrate? [Re: mycocurious]
    #7344795 - 08/28/07 11:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ya i just made way to much of the stuff, and since it was already made up, thought maybe i could save some for later, im not buying the spores anyway so if in the future these bags go bad when i inoc them, not really a big deal i suppose

--------------------

trust the fungus

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder