Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
noob questions (just started my first grow)
    #7323775 - 08/22/07 10:37 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

After my last mushroom trip went bad, I decided to move away from buying mushrooms and toward growing my own. I'm tired of having to pay out the nose to get something I consider sacred, not to mention traveling to my mushroom-buying hotspot takes a toll on me and is not very reliable. I'm also very interested in having a sort of personal relationship with the sacrament, rather than it being something that comes to me dried up in a little baggie. If only I lived in a less populated area where I could just pick them from the ground. But in a lucky twist of fate, a friend of mine recently embarked on his own grow. He gave me a fresh rye colony (inoculated twelve days ago, given to me the day after) and let me use some of his liquid culture to inoculate a couple of PF jars last night.

Needless to say, I'm pumped. The rye culture is going pretty well - it's been making steady growth since it was inoculated and I've shaken it three times in the past twelve days. And I believe I already see some small growth in one of the PF jars.

Unfortunately, I'm a complete newbie. I read McKenna's book on growing magic mushrooms the night I got the first culture, but my friend tells me it's not the most reliable (not to mention I'm using a somewhat different approach than that described in the book, at my friend's guidance). Not only that, but I was caught off-guard by the sudden opportunity to grow mushrooms. I have no way of keeping the cultures nice and warm other than putting them behind my computer (which keeps them sorta warm but I doubt enough). Plus I'm so damn excited to watch the mycelium slowly expanding that I take them out of their box once or twice a day, exposing them to the glaring light, to examine their progress. In you guys' experience, how do these factors affect growth? I know it won't kill them but how much will it impede their development?

And do you guys have any suggestions for keeping the mushrooms warm that doesn't involve large amounts of money or making much stuff? My friend has got some weird shit rigged up, but I'm cursed with stupid fingers. I'm awful at constructing things from raw materials and cutting holes in boxes and the like. I've never touched a power tool or a saw and I don't much care to. I'll do it if I have to (I want my shrooms to be happy) but alternatives would be nice.

Sorry if these are really dumb questions, but I'm kind of overwhelmed by the sheer volume of text available on this subject. Thanks to anyone who reads this and replies.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Edited by Tchan909 (08/22/07 10:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: noob questions (just started my first grow) [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #7325342 - 08/23/07 11:17 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Cubensis will colonize your jars just fine at room temperatures. I no longer use my incubator, it's just not necessary. If your house is very cold, put them in a box above your refrigerator or water heater.

Light is not a big concern during the colonization phase. Pulling your jars out to inspect them will have absolutely no ill effect on them. As a matter of fact they will colonize just fine under 24 hours of light.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: noob questions (just started my first grow) [Re: Premedman1]
    #7325401 - 08/23/07 11:33 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Premedman1 said:
Cubensis will colonize your jars just fine at room temperatures. I no longer use my incubator, it's just not necessary. If your house is very cold, put them in a box above your refrigerator or water heater.

Light is not a big concern during the colonization phase. Pulling your jars out to inspect them will have absolutely no ill effect on them. As a matter of fact they will colonize just fine under 24 hours of light.

Premedman is right. And most of the books your might see out there might not have the optimal information you are looking for. This site is ramping with people who know what they are doing who will gladly lead you on if you are serious about this hobby...
Look for Anno, RogerRabbit, Blutjager, Roadkill...sorry if I am forgetting any...

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale