Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFalseMaria
Perverted Goddess of Metropolis
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
50/50+ Casing Ratio Question (Hydrated Lime Replacement)
    #7321640 - 08/22/07 12:50 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, so I've looked at the FAQ, searched the forums, and even read Hawke's 50/50+ Tek again, but I can't be sure I have the right answer.

I've got some time until my jars are ready, so I've been reading up on casings. I mistakenly bought some MGMC, thinking it was great, but after some threads I've read, I got scared away from that solution, and want to go the 50/50+ Tek way.

Here's the problem. My feed store only carries Hydrated Lime and Crushed Oyster Shells in 50lb bags. As cheap as it is, I just can't store that right now. They also don't have the Oyster shells in stock right now either.

Now I know every pet store in my area has Calci-Sand (Calcium Carbonate). I would like to make the 50/50+ Tek with this, but I'd like to know what the ratio of Calci-Sand to add to my Verm/Peat mix.

From what I can tell, if you replace Hydrated Lime with Calci-Sand, you should add 25% of total volume. So 1cup Hydrated Lime = 1.25cups Calci-Sand.

The Tek also calls for Crushed Oyster shell (Which is chunky Calci-Sand right?). Can I just replace the Oyster Shell with the same amount in Calci-Sand?

The person at the feed store said if I used Oyster Shells to try and fix pH, it would take years for it to have an effect. If this is true, what the heck is it used for in the Tek?

So confused, yet so eager to learn and learn.
Thanks Guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 50/50+ Casing Ratio Question (Hydrated Lime Replacement) [Re: FalseMaria]
    #7321669 - 08/22/07 01:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

to clear up some confusion for you...
hes right, oyster shell takes forever for it to buffer, many many waterings...its more used for structure of the casing surface...and even then its negligible.

i use calci-sand in equal proportions of whats called for with oyster shell.
for example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of oyster, i use 1 cup of calci-sand for replacement, maybe a little less sand than shell, since more sand can fit into the same space due to particle size.

or, if i have both, i use half of the recipe in the form of oyster shell, and the other half as calci-sand. so 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup.

one of the regulars here always preached about oyster shell flour, which would logically be the end all of gentle pH buffers, due to its absorption and small particle size. I never did bother ordering any, i just use half and half oyster/calci sand. =(

--------------------

OfflineFalseMaria
Perverted Goddess of Metropolis
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: 50/50+ Casing Ratio Question (Hydrated Lime Replacement) [Re: dysphoria]
    #7321752 - 08/22/07 01:26 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Would you also replace the Hydrated Lime with Calci-Sand, or just forget about that part altogether?

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 50/50+ Casing Ratio Question (Hydrated Lime Replacement) [Re: FalseMaria]
    #7321800 - 08/22/07 01:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

id forget that part altogether.
and if you were to replace it, then you could just add a bit more calci-sand.
but within reason, since you dont want an overly sandy casing.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates