Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
Fungi Make Biodiesel Efficiently at Room Temperature
    #7315710 - 08/20/07 11:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Fungi Make Biodiesel Efficiently at Room Temperature
August 20, 2007 - Wired Science

Scientists at the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology have found a much better way to make biodiesel. Their new method could lower the cost and increase the energy efficiency of fuel production.

Instead of mixing the ingredients and heating them for hours, the chemical engineers pass sunflower oil and methanol through a bed of pellets made from fungal spores. An enzyme produced by the fungus does the work -- making biodiesel with impressive efficiency.

Last Monday, Ravichandra Potumarthi showed off his work during a poster session last Monday at the International Conference on Bioengineering and Nanotechnology. After returning to his lab in Hyderabad, he was able to send out some pictures of his experimental reactor (shown on right) and the fungal pellets.

Typically, biodiesel is made by mixing methanol with lye and vegetable oil and then heating the brew for several hours. This links the methanol to the oils to produce energetic called esters. Unfortunately, heating the mixture is a huge waste of energy, and a major selling point of alternative fuels is efficiency. An enzyme called lipase can link link oil to methanol without any extra heating, but the pure protein is expensive.

Potumarthi has a simple solution. Why bother purifying the lipase? It would be easier to just find an organism that produces plenty of the enzyme and squish it into pellets. In this case, the fungus Metarhizium anisopliae does the trick.

Recently, several huge research centers have sprung up to develop better ways to make biofuels. Considering that a handful of chemical engineers can accomplish so much on what appears to be a shoestring budget, the future of alternative fuels looks pretty good -- but maybe a bit slimy.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineabesh
Warrior SixDelta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fungi Make Biodiesel Efficiently at Room Temperature [Re: veggie]
    #7315780 - 08/20/07 11:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Go India

Thankyou Come Again :tongue:

Invisibleralphroks
humaniform

Loc: Up north passed Alaska
Re: Fungi Make Biodiesel Efficiently at Room Temperature [Re: abesh]
    #7316210 - 08/21/07 01:50 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

This first bag will be fruited normally, and the fruits enjoyed as food. However, the second bag will be part of an experiment. The glycerol byproducts from biodiesel production are technically fermentable by fungus. However, what concentration will they accept, and will the methanol or catalyst be a problem for the fungus? I’ll be ‘feeding’ the mycelium some byproduct soon to see how it reacts. I may or may not eat those mushrooms.http://flexistentialist.org/blog/archives/2005/02/09/fungus-amongus/

The above article is about a guy trying to feed oyster mushrooms
the glycerol byproduct from his biodiesel.

--------------------
"Please read and learn and relay knowledge not misinformation! Thank you"-hyphae

Offlinegmuralid
Holy Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: India
Re: Fungi Make Biodiesel Efficiently at Room Temperature [Re: ralphroks]
    #7317436 - 08/21/07 01:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Holy cow!!! Man, I gotta get in touch with this guy!!

Crazy shit, and its all happening near me....I should get involved with this.

--------------------
Wilderness. It defines me.

Offlineklassasin
La vida es buena! Disfrutala!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest. USA
Re: Fungi Make Biodiesel Efficiently at Room Temperature [Re: gmuralid]
    #7317796 - 08/21/07 02:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This really hits home considering I just got back from a 3-day conference about biodiesel and other alternative forms of energy. Interesting!

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Fungi Make Biodiesel Efficiently at Room Temperature [Re: klassasin]
    #7317907 - 08/21/07 03:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

That guy deserves a chillum full of the best.

--------------------
Wiccan_Seeker said:
slide down a pole than with your legs spread and using your pussy as a brake. Ask the fire department :imslow:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service