Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

Gas Exchange and Pinset linked?
    #7301760 - 08/16/07 05:23 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

This may be common knowledge to the experts round here but it is new to me so I thought I'd share my observations.
I'm currently fruiting a tray more of which can be seen in this thread.

At first I was wondering why the pins were all around the side of the tray. Then I remembered how the holes in the lid were arranged. The trays stack by the bottom of a tray locating in the middle of the lid below. So when I drilled the holes I put them around the edge so gas exchange would take place.

The tray had the lid on during spawn run (wbs > hpoo) and the first 3 days after being cased (during this time it was in total darkness). The holes were covered with micropore tape.

Now it strikes me there is a pretty close correlation to the location of the holes and the pinset. I can easily rectify this for my future grows by putting in more holes. I appreciate that an even casing layer helps with even pin sets, but had never read about even gas exchange.

Is it fair to say that even gas exchange assists in an even pinset?

--------------------
Rye -- WBS | Grain LC -- G2G | Bulk -- Monotub | 50/50 -- Late Casing -- A Pinning Strategy
Disclaimer: My opinion is subject to change at short notice subject to but not limited by new information and knowledge being made available.

Edited by shaggydogman (08/16/07 05:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

Re: Gas Exchange and Pinset linked? [Re: shaggydogman]
    #7304129 - 08/17/07 08:47 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone???
The substrate was 110% colonised before casing.

Is it just freak coincidence?
What do people normaly do for gas exchange whilst the casing layer is being colonising?

--------------------
Rye -- WBS | Grain LC -- G2G | Bulk -- Monotub | 50/50 -- Late Casing -- A Pinning Strategy
Disclaimer: My opinion is subject to change at short notice subject to but not limited by new information and knowledge being made available.

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

#7304158 - 08/17/07 09:00 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, it's well-known (or at least it should be) that pinning is stimulated by good fresh air exchange.

Also, pinning around the sides is common for any casing. It's traditionally linked to the high humidity that is generated there.

Exemplary casing, by the way. What mix is it?

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

Re: Gas Exchange and Pinset linked? [Re: exagram]
    #7304187 - 08/17/07 09:12 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. :smile:
Yeah I understand FAE as a pinning trigger. FAE (removing lid), light, and a slight temperature drop all coincided when the tray was put into the FC.

Before that it was always covered with the lid shown with Gas Exchange provided by micropore tape over the holes on the lid.
It could be complete coincidence and me reading way to much into it, but the best pins are pretty much exactly where the holes in the lid were when it was colonizing and when the casing layer was being colonized.

The casing is 50/50 peat/verm. The only Ph buffer I could get my hands on was oyster shells. So I ground a fair few up in a coffee grinder to get calcium carbonate powder which I used to get the Ph up to 7.5/8

--------------------

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

#7304212 - 08/17/07 09:21 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, you're saying that gas exchange during colonisation is a pinning trigger? Well, the photos certainly credit that. I suppose one could use a Tyvek cover during that time to keep contaminants out while promoting airflow.

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

OfflineGreens21
DayTripper
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Void
    #7304227 - 08/17/07 09:29 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Or next time try keeping at least one tray the same way and see if it turns out the same, but put holes all over the top of at least one more tray, to see if you get a more even pinset.

--------------------
I've been trying to justify you

In the end I will just defy you

Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

#7304232 - 08/17/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Not a pinning trigger, more that location of gas exchange during colonisation of sub and casing layer has had an effect on where the first and most successfull pins have come up.

--------------------

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

#7304249 - 08/17/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

To me, it looks more like a coincidence. While FAE does have a major effect on pinning, gas exchange should not. I have seen this same pins-around-the-side effect before under different circumstances (evenly placed holes in the lid). I found it to be more directly related to the casing layer. It seemed uneven casing layer and improper moisture content were to blame.

--------------------

Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

Re: Gas Exchange and Pinset linked? [Re: Greens21]
    #7304267 - 08/17/07 09:45 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Greens21 said:
Or next time try keeping at least one tray the same way and see if it turns out the same, but put holes all over the top of at least one more tray, to see if you get a more even pinset.

Yeah I'm gonna try that next to get a more even pinset.

I am also going to try to manipulate the pinset by placing the Gas Exchange holes into a design to try and do some pinset art. :crazy2:
If that works then there has to be a link. I though I'd try a design that avoids the edges of the tray.

What better than a mushroom!!
Gonna drill slightly smaller holes in a lid kinda like this.

I have some spawn ready and a spare try so I'll start it over the weekend! I could be completely mad and wrong but hey it has to be worth a go even if it's just to prove it wrong!

--------------------

Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

Re: Gas Exchange and Pinset linked? [Re: soulsizzle]
    #7304309 - 08/17/07 09:57 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

soulsizzle said:
To me, it looks more like a coincidence.  While FAE does have a major effect on pinning, gas exchange should not.  I have seen this same pins-around-the-side effect before under different circumstances (evenly placed holes in the lid).  I found it to be more directly related to the casing layer.  It seemed uneven casing layer and improper moisture content were to blame.

Thanks, I kinda thought it was probably just me going mad!!
I think I'll still try the experiment though as I kinda have to know now what will happen :shrug:. Gotta love this hobby. :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#7304411 - 08/17/07 10:30 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with soulsizzle as well...

Pinsets like that usually stem from uneven colonization/casing application, the myc usually pokes through there first leading to the first pins developing around the edges. I've also heard that low rH can be a factor in pinning at the edges and not the middle. I try to apply my casing layers deeper around the edges than the middle to avoid this.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix