Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineflower_child
Dawson
Male User Gallery

High Calcium Water
    #7304128 - 08/17/07 10:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Is there any harm in using water that is very high in calcium for soaking and simmering rye? I didn't realize how much was in it (it's also my drinking water) until I pulled my jars out of the PC and saw that they were covered with a greyish/white film that can be scraped off with your fingernail. I assume that it's calcium.

And as long as we're on the subject, does anyone know if it's bad to drink this water? They didn't answer me and Physical and Mental Well-Being.

--------------------
Today while walking up the stairs
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
Oh how I wish he'd stay away

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: High Calcium Water [Re: flower_child]
    #7304150 - 08/17/07 10:56 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have the same film when using tap water in the PC,I haven't noticed it do any harm to anything aside from being an annoying pain in the ass when its all over my baby bottles and I'm looking to spot anything funny looking in my lc

Offlineflower_child
Dawson
Male User Gallery

Re: High Calcium Water [Re: Blutjager]
    #7304176 - 08/17/07 11:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

That makes me feel better then. I've seen a lot of your grows, and to be as impressive as they are the calcium must not cause too much of a problem.

I forgot to mention that it's tap water, though I guess that goes without saying. If it's not harmful to mushrooms, is it bad for people to drink too much of? Because I try to drink my full 64+ oz a day and the tap water is what I drink.

--------------------

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
Re: High Calcium Water [Re: Blutjager]
    #7304180 - 08/17/07 11:09 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You can dissolve that stuff using dilute vinegar or another mild acid.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

#7304186 - 08/17/07 11:12 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

High calcium water would probably be good for you, if anything, especially if you don't consume very much in the way of dairy produce.

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: High Calcium Water [Re: exagram]
    #7304261 - 08/17/07 11:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The deposit is not only calcium but a variety of other hard minerals as well. Someone who works for the local water company told me I should generally stay away from drinking straight tap water if possible. There are also traces of other various chemicals that are used to "clean" the water. It's not going to kill you (or the fruits of your labor), but it isn't always optimal. Distilled water is the way to go. It's cheap and readily available. I only use tap water in my humidifier (with h2o2 of course) and PC.

--------------------

Offlineflower_child
Dawson
Male User Gallery

Re: High Calcium Water [Re: exagram]
    #7304265 - 08/17/07 11:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

exagram said:
High calcium water would probably be good for you, if anything, especially if you don't consume very much in the way of dairy produce.

I would think so as well, but it seems like I've heard something about kidney stones being associated with it.

Although that probably wouldn't make sense. It shouldn't be any different than milk I suppose.

Quote:

soulsizzle said:
The deposit is not only calcium but a variety of other hard minerals as well. Someone who works for the local water company told me I should generally stay away from drinking straight tap water if possible. There are also traces of other various chemicals that are used to "clean" the water. It's not going to kill you (or the fruits of your labor), but it isn't always optimal. Distilled water is the way to go. It's cheap and readily available. I only use tap water in my humidifier (with h2o2 of course) and PC.

Yeah, I'm probably going to switch to that for drinking purposes. It's just so expensive in this town since there's only one grocery store and they jack their prices up because they know they're the only one for about 65 miles.

--------------------

Edited by flower_child (08/17/07 12:35 PM)

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
    #7304287 - 08/17/07 11:51 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Get a tap-mounted filter. Not cheap, but they last a long time and do a good job removing junk from your water.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: High Calcium Water [Re: Dr_T]
    #7304340 - 08/17/07 12:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

bah, tap water is fine. If you're worried about the chlorine or other trace chemicals in it, let it sit in a bowl or bucket for a couple hours and it'll evaporate off. All other minerals are fine for you and your mushies.

Most abundant resource on the planet and someone's convinced this country that what comes out of the faucet isn't good for us anymore. Reminds me of Lewis Black's rant on bottled/filtered water.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlineflower_child
Dawson
Male User Gallery

Re: High Calcium Water [Re: mycocurious]
    #7304424 - 08/17/07 12:33 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mycocurious said:
bah, tap water is fine. If you're worried about the chlorine or other trace chemicals in it, let it sit in a bowl or bucket for a couple hours and it'll evaporate off. All other minerals are fine for you and your mushies.

Most abundant resource on the planet and someone's convinced this country that what comes out of the faucet isn't good for us anymore. Reminds me of Lewis Black's rant on bottled/filtered water.

True. You make a good point. I'm just always kind of cautious because I come from a place where they were constantly sending letters to us saying not to drink the water.

Of course, no one would ever tell me about those letters so I'd be drinking it until a friend would see me and tell me about the letter sent three weeks prior saying that's not a good idea. That scenario repeated itself a few times.

That being said...I suppose I'm still here after drinking it. Albeit with a little more hair on my chest. This water can't be any worse than my old water. Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. Especially since this is the Cultivation forum and not the health forum.

--------------------

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: High Calcium Water [Re: mycocurious]
    #7306559 - 08/18/07 02:50 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mycocurious said:

What comes out of the faucet isn't always good for you. It's not just some market ploy to get everyone to buy bottled water (well, not most of the time it isn't). I have a close friend who works fairly high up in our city water company that gives me regular updates on water conditions. Additionally, we occasionally experience periods of time where the water company publicly advices us to avoid drinking tap water without at least boiling it first.

These issues are the result of both pollution and natural occurring phenomena (eg. high bacteria/algae content in our local water supplies).

While the tap water is never going to going to kill you, to say that it never contains any negative elements is without merit. This is going to vary based on where you live. I personally live in a large city where the water company is constantly overworked to provide enough water.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: High Calcium Water [Re: soulsizzle]
    #7308049 - 08/18/07 05:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

We add calcium in the form of gypsum to our grows to increase the harvests, and to keep grains from sticking together. It's not a bad thing for fungi.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation