Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot
    #7280064 - 08/10/07 12:37 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292799,00.html

California's budget impasse has passed the one-month mark, social services aren't getting state-funded help they need to stay open, and other legislative priorities are being put off the table until the legislature can come to agreement.

One California resident thinks he has the answer: Legalize the growth and sales of marijuana.

Clifford Schaffer, who runs a marijuana advocacy Web site in his spare time from his day job as a computer programmer, says that California could easily clear up the $700 million budget gap still facing state lawmakers, and as a plus, the measure could even help improve national security. He has started a petition, and the number of those supporting his idea is growing rapidly.

"We would honestly hope that they take our suggestion. Failing that, you know, what are the options?" Schaffer said in a telephone interview from his Agua Dulce, Calif., home. Otherwise, he said, "They're going to send another few billion to the drug lords in Mexico who are challenging the Mexican government."

Citing a study that estimates gross U.S. spending on marijuana at roughly $10 billion a year, he said California could corner the market on taxes gleaned from a legalized marijuana trade, generating $1 billion in revenues. That money would stay within the state instead of going to foreign drug cartels.

The governor's office on Thursday dismissed the notion.

"We're not responding to publicity stunts, which is what I think that is," said Aaron McLear, press secretary to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

McLear said the governor has signaled his satisfaction with the last proposal that made it out of the state Assembly, but blamed a bloc of state Senate Republicans for killing the proposal. The $145 billion measure would have narrowed the budget gap from an expected $1.4 billion down to roughly $700 million, and Schwarzenegger said he would use the line-item veto to reduce the rest of the red ink.

As a result of the budget impasse, the Assembly leaders have said they will not handle any other legislation until the budget is passed. McLear said that is affecting administration priorities, which include health care and political reforms, as well as water storage revisions.

"These are things that the governor had hoped to tackle this year, but are frankly on hold until the budget gets done," McLear said. "One hundred percent of the focus of the administration is getting this budget passed."

Schaffer said he was prompted to start his petition campaign this week by two things: first, a photo last week in The Los Angeles Times showing a despondent Schwarzenegger, and secondly, a bit of local politics before the L.A. City Council.

The L.A. City Council recently set into motion a policy that will make room for the sales of medical marijuana through local "cannabis clubs," or medical marijuana dispensaries. But during the meeting that the council approved the measure, one of the leading cannabis club operators — who was at the meeting being congratulated for his upstanding business — had his own club raided by the Drug Enforcement Agency, Schaffer said.

Schaffer admits that he hopes to get more attention to his proposal, but said he thinks it is a serious solution, too. He cited other studies on his Web site that show — despite marijuana's tendency to reduce individual productivity — overall economic activity would not be affected negatively.

Schaffer also said that fears over the need for increased police presence also are unfounded, saying that violence that surrounds marijuana results from the underground economy created from the prohibition on marijuana, not the affects of marijuana itself.

So far, about 2,000 people have signed the petition, which he hopes will prompt action in the Assembly. For the time being, he's not seeking a ballot initiative, but is looking to other marijuana advocacy groups like California NORML to begin organizing protests in Sacramento to bring more attention to the issue.

Mike Gray, a longtime marijuana advocate and president of the L.A.-based Common Sense for Drug Policy, said this movement has more fervor than others he's seen.

"I've seen a flood of e-mail unlike anything I've ever seen. ... just in the last 48 hours," Gray said. He added that he will be fundraising to drive the movement in hopes of getting friendly ears in Sacramento. He said so far, no lawmakers he's aware of have expressed interest in the idea.

At root, however, Schaffer says his proposal is more than just a ploy to bring marijuana to the masses.

"My first hope is that they would take my offer and fund the desperately needed programs that need to be funded," Schaffer said.

--------------------
:gc:
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChristianTaylor5
Mammal
Male

Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: MistaUNGA]
    #7280115 - 08/10/07 12:59 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, hey lets tax it harder than alcohol.

You know, I'm sick of all you retarded people saying legalize with no public mandation. Do you know what your going to do to our market. Your going to turn it into some Walmart where we overpay for something the public can provide.

Your destroying one of the last free markets.

Your literally playing right into their hands. This is what they want, legalization with taxation. Cant you ignorant assholes see whats happening.

Don't stop protecting our right at the sacrifice of legalized marijuana.

-CT, Angry as hell

InvisibleMistaUNGA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: ChristianTaylor5]
    #7280154 - 08/10/07 01:11 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ChristianTaylor5 said:
You know, I'm sick of all you retarded people saying legalize with no public mandation. Do you know what your going to do to our market. Your going to turn it into some Walmart where we overpay for something the public can provide.

Whoa, easy tiger. All I did was post it, don't gotta throw me in with the whole lot!

The market for MJ is relatively simple, and it works. People grow the bud, they sell the bud, they sell the bud, you smoke the bud. :smile:Though perhaps through legalization (or some other solution), more people may have a safe and secure way to get the herbs. That's one of the philosophies of the medical MJ movement: safe access. That is probably my most fervent advocation about legalization is safe access. I hate having to be a criminal to pick up MJ, and being shady and such. It would be very nice to pick it up at the super market with a six pack :bongload:

Granted, if it were legal, yes, it would probably get all fuxed up by corpos and stuff tryin to get rich. Another big tobacco based on MJ? who knows? However, what's stopping you from growing your own tobacco to smoke? It's cheaper to buy cigs from marlboro, isn't it? But who's to say the quality is better?

You do bring up a good point, and as much as I would like to see it legalized, part of me knows it won't be (or at least for a LONG time), but the other part of me knows that it might be better as it stands now.

Whatever.

Either way, we will still have our weed and smoke it too!
:potleaf:

--------------------
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: MistaUNGA]
    #7280427 - 08/10/07 05:29 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I predict when people start growing their own on a mass scale grow lights and hydroponics kits will start being taxed.

But if it's legal, you can just grow it outdoors. I recommend doing volunteer garden work. Plant it in the DEA's gardens.

--------------------

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: ChristianTaylor5]
    #7280431 - 08/10/07 05:33 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

"Your going to turn it into some Walmart where we overpay for something the public can provide. "

Have you ever been to a walmart? They provide prices cheaper than anything...

OfflineChristianTaylor5
Mammal
Male

Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: implee]
    #7280610 - 08/10/07 08:09 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Whats up MistaUNGA, I wasn't coming at you, just sharing some of my most heated concerns on the subject. Sorry if you took it like that, didn't mean you to. Also, when I posted that I had just had a run in with the police so tensions were running high. (Didn't get arrested, just my rights stomped on. Don't worry, wasn't the first time, wont be the last)

Implee: Your right, it would be cheaper. But it would be at the sacrifice of one of our last truly free markets.

-CT

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #7280619 - 08/10/07 08:16 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

If it were legal, it would be legal to grow... Corpos would sell weed, but not many people would buy it. EVERYONE would know a grower, and homegrown is FANTASTIC...

The problem with cigs is that tobacco is hard to grow and hard to process into decent smoke... Weed is MUCH easier, especially if it were legal, and hydro shops could stop selling "tomato nutes". Home based grow kits would flourish, and everyone would be growing fine ass homegrown buds.

Same with alcohol... You can brew your own, but it's a pain in the ass! It's easier to buy a case of beer and a pack of smokes, but with weed... Well, you'd simply grow it.

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
    #7280620 - 08/10/07 08:17 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

it needs to be legal to grow, buy, sell. no ones gonna pay store prices for something that as easy to grow as tomatoe plants.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #7280635 - 08/10/07 08:26 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

> But it would be at the sacrifice of one of our last truly free markets.

I don't see why you call a black market a free market as it most certainly is not. Black market prices are always higher than free market prices as black market items tend to have a large demand with a small supply. The supply is forced to remain small because of the illegal nature of the items being sold. In a free market, supply would increase to meet demand thus lowering overall prices.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: Seuss]
    #7280641 - 08/10/07 08:31 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

If they legalized all weed, you'd be getting ounces of super fine homegrown for like $100... Almost everyone I know would have at least 6 plants up and running within the month. :smile:

Shit, you'd only have to buy it if you didn't have a room to grow in... Once the corporations jump in, you be able to buy a pack of Marlboro "Greens" for like $40 or whatever, and you'd LOVE IT.

It's already America's #1 cash crop, and it's not even legal to grow! If it was, the amount grown would skyrocket even higher!

OfflineChristianTaylor5
Mammal
Male

Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #7280777 - 08/10/07 09:34 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I agree that at first things would be straight, people would grow and hook up their friends very cheaply. But as time went on it would just be another alcohol or tobacco, at least in my opinion. Generations would pass and laziness would take over for the majority of people.

Someone said no one is gonna pay store prices for something that is as easy to grow as tomatos. For starters, most people buy tomatos in stores instead of growing them, although many people are hobby growers of vegetables. Also, as someone stated earlier, store prices would most likely be much cheaper than growing it.

Rooster: My friend was telling me about that contract Marlboro has to produce Marlboro greens. Crazy shit.

On one final note, I call a black market a free market because the illegal nature of things nurtures new entrepreneurs rather than repels them. You think in small town walmart a shop owner can even afford to start or stay in business. He/She doesn't even have enough money to buy in such bulk to compete with a large corporation.

-CT

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

#7280795 - 08/10/07 09:44 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

For starters, most people buy tomatos in stores instead of growing them

Tomatoes were never $500 an ounce... no matter how tasty. :smile:

Plus, tomatoes are pretty much tomatoes. Cannabis has so many strains and types, growing out hybrid buds would be a fun hobby!

Yeah, I heard all the big tobacco companies have certain name brands already trademarked for when marijuana cigarettes become legal, but then I heard it was bullshit... who knows! :shrug:

Weed is also just too easy to grow... There will always be a market for finely grown bud, since most people would grow so-so weed until they picked up the skillz.

Imagine the different brands! Everything from 3% THC milds all the way to 25%+ super joints. :rastamon:

InvisibleMistaUNGA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #7281002 - 08/10/07 10:56 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
Imagine the different brands! Everything from 3% THC milds all the way to 25%+ super joints. :rastamon:

That'll be the day! :potleaf:

I like the Overgrow philosophy. Another thing that really appeals to me is how medical cannabis patients grow in Northern California. They have a truly cooperative system, unlike that of SoCal. North, patients actually band together and go out and plant and grow it like a community project or something. SoCal, it's more like a quasi-legal black market (if that makes any sense).

I would really love to go outside, see my neighbor watering her 4 ft Hindu Kush plant, and ask "Hey, how many more days? My trainwreck just finished curing, let's smoke!"

Ah, if only...

--------------------

OfflineSebastian23
Stranger
Male

Loc: Bay
    #7281028 - 08/10/07 11:04 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Would you really want to give those cigarette companies your money?

I'd grow my own exclusively out of principle, and out of spite for American consumerism invading and dispersing of one of the last pure bastions of grassroots industry.

--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment
with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
it was written on."
-Terence McKenna
Marijuana Myths Debunked

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: Sebastian23]
    #7281122 - 08/10/07 11:28 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

No, of course I wouldn't... I'd have 6 Jack Herer plants going the day after it's legal. :smile:

It would be cool however to just buy a pack of joints on vacation or something, when you were away from the garden. Or, just for tolerance reasons, you'd have a stash of different corporate strains to mix into your own stash... For variety.

Offlinechubbycharley
the chubbiest ofthe charleys
Male

Loc: everywhere
    #7281297 - 08/10/07 12:14 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

ok, i just have to point out a few things here:

if weed is legalized and commercially produced by big tobacco componies you know they would add hundreds of chemicals to it to make it addictive. hell, they do it with tobacco, why wouldn't they do it with weed?

so now we have big tobacco selling shitty packs of adulterated weed at every gas station, you know people would buy the shit out of it. there are VERY MANY people who's self limiting point of view will keep them from growing their own. and why would they when they can buy it so easily?

so, with the market flooded with cheap, shitty weed (and by shitty i mean full of chems, but may still get you very high) there will emerge a few small companies selling organic buds. it would be much more expensive and much harder to find (health food stores?) but it would be there.

now, i think only about 15-20% of pot smokers would grow their own. and that's fine with me because i would be one of them. i don't care about the market, i just want to grow my own without the possibility of losing my freedom (what little i have, anyways).

btw, tomatoes are a lot like MJ, there are tons of different strains and anyone who thinks tomatoes are just tomatoes has never grown any.

--------------------
if i'm just a stoned stoner, sayin some stoned ass shit, please correct me :smile:

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: chubbycharley]
    #7281370 - 08/10/07 12:32 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

chubbycharley said:
btw, tomatoes are a lot like MJ, there are tons of different strains and anyone who thinks tomatoes are just tomatoes has never grown any.

#1. I hate tomatoes, so yeah... I never grew them.

#2. I was unaware that if you eat your favorite tomato everyday for a month, it stops tasting like a tomato... The only reason I'd grow different strains is tolerance, which I'm not sure exists in the tomato world. :smile:

Offlinesimplystoned
Tree Wizard
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: K-Town up in this biache
    #7284798 - 08/11/07 02:44 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Uh, to the "why don't you grow your own tobacco argument" <-- I thought growing tobacco without permission was illegal, they only want companies doing it...

legalize it. walmart won't ever sell it, but you might be able to get it in headshops/coffee shops? I'd pay $70 an eighth for legal coffeeshop kb.

--------------------

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell which encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility:

For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided
by the tender hand of the Unseen,
And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips,
has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter
has moistened with His own sacred tears." - Kahlil Gibran

Invisibleelbisivni
Re: California Petitioner Says State Budget Problems Could Be Fixed by Pot [Re: simplystoned]
    #7284828 - 08/11/07 03:03 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'd be more than willing to pay a little extra bone for home-grown, legal grass sold to me by a reliable and business-worthy entity.

Considering the fucking loops I have to jump through now to overpay for shitty pot... I'd be all for legalization and taxation in a split fucking second!

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies