Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDigitalNomad
Neophyte
Male

How crucial is it to keep newly cased myc, in the dark?
    #7279265 - 08/09/07 08:38 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

The title may sound a little odd, but I'll try and expand on it.
I've been reading some of the casing guides and they tend to say that once you've cased your jars/whatever you're using, you should place a lid over them for 3-5 days.

But my question is, how crucial is this? The mycellium has been covered up by your casing, so I imagine light isn't an issue. So, what's preventing you from just sticking them right into your terrarium?

--------------------
Here's to the first step...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedizzy_jester
I aint noclown...

Re: How crucial is it to keep newly cased myc, in the dark? [Re: DigitalNomad]
    #7279277 - 08/09/07 08:39 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

its too allow the mycellium to enter the casing material then once it has done that you initiate pinnning by adding light and FAE

OfflineDigitalNomad
Neophyte
Male

Re: How crucial is it to keep newly cased myc, in the dark? [Re: dizzy_jester]
    #7279295 - 08/09/07 08:43 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I kind of figured that was the case, I just needed to hear it from a more experienced source I suppose!

What would happen if, god forbid, someone took a shortcut and just shoved them into a terrarium? I assume the fact that you destroyed the myc network by breaking it up, you'd get little to no growth, eh?

--------------------

Offlinedizzy_jester
I aint noclown...

#7279310 - 08/09/07 08:46 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

its not really a shortcut...the casing that you laid on top would be more like a wet rag on top of the mycellium. however over time you will get the mycellium to work its way to the casing. thats why you incubate it for more with teh casing on so that it works into the network

Offlineteahupoo
Mycologist
    #7279315 - 08/09/07 08:47 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

During this time of darkness, when you are supposed to leave your casing covered with minimal FAE, the mycelium is supposed to rapidly colonize your substrate layer (not an issue if you only cased and didn't spawn to bulk), and then grow into the casing layer. During this time, the mycelium metabolism of nutrients gives off CO2 which must build up to high levels (I believe this is outlined in Stamets). The high levels of CO2 inhibit bacterial and fungal growth to some degree, and the casing even heats up with the increased metabolism acting to incubate it. Soon enough you will remove the cover and provide light, effectively equalizing the CO2 and O2 in the immediate mushroom atmosphere. The drop in CO2 density helps trigger fruiting, as does drop in temp, light, 100% colonization...

Keep it covered for 3-5 days, no peaking. if you have to peak, put a clear saran wrap covering over it instead so you don't mess up the CO2/O2 balance inside the tray. Sticking it right into your terrarium may make the casing much longer to produce because of the temp, high O2 content, etc.

OfflineDigitalNomad
Neophyte
Male

Re: How crucial is it to keep newly cased myc, in the dark? [Re: teahupoo]
    #7279336 - 08/09/07 08:55 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

There we go!
thanks!

--------------------

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: How crucial is it to keep newly cased myc, in the dark? [Re: teahupoo]
    #7280738 - 08/10/07 09:19 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

teahupoo said:
During this time of darkness, when you are supposed to leave your casing covered with minimal FAE, the mycelium is supposed to rapidly colonize your substrate layer (not an issue if you only cased and didn't spawn to bulk), and then grow into the casing layer. During this time, the mycelium metabolism of nutrients gives off CO2 which must build up to high levels (I believe this is outlined in Stamets). The high levels of CO2 inhibit bacterial and fungal growth to some degree, and the casing even heats up with the increased metabolism acting to incubate it. Soon enough you will remove the cover and provide light, effectively equalizing the CO2 and O2 in the immediate mushroom atmosphere. The drop in CO2 density helps trigger fruiting, as does drop in temp, light, 100% colonization...

Keep it covered for 3-5 days, no peaking. if you have to peak, put a clear saran wrap covering over it instead so you don't mess up the CO2/O2 balance inside the tray. Sticking it right into your terrarium may make the casing much longer to produce because of the temp, high O2 content, etc.

Good stuff...5 shrooms for u. :thumbup:

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

OfflineDigitalNomad
Neophyte
Male

Re: How crucial is it to keep newly cased myc, in the dark? [Re: Neobean]
    #7281345 - 08/10/07 12:25 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, I was going to rate him, but I don't have enough posts yet!

--------------------

OfflinePoppygod
EarlyBird
Male

Loc: All-asska
    #7281505 - 08/10/07 01:28 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I cased my WBS cake with verm left it in the dark 2 days and then started the FAE and light and 4 days later ive have many many pins :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract