Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
    #727133 - 07/06/02 08:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

im wondering if there is any way to reduce abort numbers on ur cakes. im bout to start my second grow and ive been reading posts were people are getting tons of aborts and hardly any mature shrooms, and wondering if there are any ways to help this? also is the EQ strain famous for tons of aborts? thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: wondering... [Re: mellojello]
    #727304 - 07/06/02 09:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #727357 - 07/06/02 10:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

They will abort if they dont have enough nutrients or moisture or the proper surrounding conditions. Dunk to maximize your yeilds.

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Loc: WA near seattle
    #727419 - 07/06/02 10:40 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the most prevalent cause for aborts has to do with a hormone that tells the mycelial web that it is time to make babies. some strains have too much of this. it is likely that this is a survival machanism, to counteract the fact that in the wild, there are critters that eat mushrooms. thus numerous pins ensure that at least one will survive to maturity. problem is, if none of the pins get eaten, then the developing mushrooms will outstrip the food suply. enter yet another enzyme that retards developement of pins until the mature mushrooms are removed from the substrate. in a food shortage, the mycelium will digest standing pins to supply food for developing mature fruitbodies.

any number of environmental factors can also trigger abortion, particularly contamns, but excess CO2, humidity, and chemicals have all been known to do it. also, a sudden addition to the food supply can tell the mycelium that it needs to collonize rather than reproduce.

the variety of cubensis that has the greatest propensity to abort is PF's house variety. some people are quite fond of aborts and their higher potency per gram, i, however,find the endless tending to aborts on cakes cultivated by my neighbor's cat ( to trade for tuna) to be very tedious. since my neighbor's cat has to get me to order spores for her, i try to limit the number of PFs, even though i have placed repeated orders to them. most other varieties have acceptably low abortion rates under ideal conditions.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation