Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleveilbreaker
Sour girl
Female

Ok so I've decided to spawn my BRF to coir
    #7252902 - 08/02/07 08:13 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't want to budget any more for growing supplies so I was gonna stick with fruiting my cakes, but a brick of coir and a sweater box didn't run me too much, so I figured :ohwell:

I'm using Oatman2000's tek

I'm going to use five 1/2 pint golden teacher cakes as spawn (that equals 1.25 quarts, correct?)

A few questions:

-When breaking up my cakes, is it best to make the smallest pieces possible? Or will that disrupt the mycellium in some way?

-I boiled about a gallon of water, then turned it off and dropped the brick in.  It expanded like a motherfucker (I'm glad I went with the biggest pot I had.)  The water would have been about 200F now that I think about it... is that too hot?  Oatman said 160F.  :doh:

-To avoid making the substrate too wet, I'm going to squeeze the water out of each fistful of coir before putting it in the tray (like I heard someone describe).  Does that make sense?  Should I wring it right out or just lightly squeeze it?

-How careful about sterility do I need to be when I'm doing that?

-In the size of container I have, three inches of coir will be about eight quarts.  If I have 1.25 quarts of spawn, is that a decent ratio?  I've hear people say 10:1 is possible but 4:1 is preferable.  Mine would be 6.4:1.  Would any of you recommend using less (or more) substrate?

-I'm going to chuck in a cup or so of spent coffee grounds.  Any reason not to?

-I'm not using any other additives.

-Oatman also says to add a bit of spawn on top after mixing it with the coir.  How much? And does it have to be evenly distributed?

-The tek says to cover the tray in aluminum foil, then poke pencil-sized holes in it and cover them with micropore tape:

...but I have no micropore tape.  Should I still poke holes?  Smaller holes? :confused:

Any other tips for my first bulk experience?

Thanks.

:mushroom2:

--------------------
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

:amanitajar: :rose:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinechucklehead
GeneticThrowback toNeanderthal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chucky Cheese
Drunken advice [Re: veilbreaker]
    #7253046 - 08/02/07 08:48 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I'm half in the bag so take this for what it's worth.

Golden Teacher likes to eat coir so you should do well with that.

-212F would be how hot it was if it was boiling and yes that's too hot.  You killed stuff you didn't want to kill.  That makes you suseptible to Trichoderma mold.  Hope the Golden Teacher mycelium works faster that the old mean green.

-I hope you used gloves when you did the squeezing the excess water out otherwise you just spread billions of bacteria in your bulk substrate from your filthy bacterial laiden skin cells that inevitably got in your bulk substrate.  I made that mistake on my first bulk tray.  I had piss poor results.  Used gloves after that and Ka-POW mega-shrooms. 

- I read chicken poo added to bulk increases yield.  Don't have any idea if it's true but I bought some an plan to try it in coir/hpoo/cowpoo/chicken poo combo with gypsum.

- if you don't have the tape just use a thin knife.  Though if it was me I'd say take your sorry tail to Walmart and spend the $2.50 for the freeking tape.  You won't miss the extra $2.50 worth of Ramen noodles when you pop 55g of shrooms on the first flush.

- You're spawn to bulk substrate ratio is fine.  I have gotten away with much less.  I've round though that more grains and less poo winds up with less plentiful flushes.  This is from my very limited experience so take it for what it's worth.  It looks to me like the grain shrinks up fast even though I dunk it.  No controling that as far as I can see.  Short of using more bulk substrate next time.

-- The advice I was given is you can use up to 50% coffee in your bulk substrate without a problem so long as you pasturize it right.

-- When I do a bulk substrate I put 1 quart in the substrate an half a quart on top.  That's half a brick worth of coir and one mornings coffee grinds.  Seems to work pretty good.  The more evenly you put it on top of the bulk coir+coffee mix the more evenly it will colonize.  I have 4 quarts of B+ on WBS right now.  I'm planning to spawn 2 Quarts to half a brick of quar each in 12 quart sweater tubs.  I'll put a quart and a half in each half brick and half a quart on top.  The ammount you put on top is really just to quickly colonize the top of the substrate to create a contamination barrior.  So just because the top is fully colnized doesn't mean diddly.  You still have to wait about a week to 10 days so the entire block colonizes. 

Well I hope that made at least a little sense.  I'm going to go smoke myself to sleep.:gethigh:

Invisibleveilbreaker
Sour girl
Female

Re: Drunken advice [Re: chucklehead]
    #7253076 - 08/02/07 08:54 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

-212F would be how hot it was if it was boiling and yes that's too hot. You killed stuff you didn't want to kill. That makes you suseptible to Trichoderma mold. Hope the Golden Teacher mycelium works faster that the old mean green.

Ah shit.

Should I go buy another brick of coir and do it again? I don't want to waste five colonized jars if its likely to contaminate. 

Quote:

-I hope you used gloves when you did the squeezing the excess water out

Good thing I haven't done that yet... it's still cooling.

Thanks for your responses, chucklehead  :smile:

--------------------
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offlinechucklehead
GeneticThrowback toNeanderthal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chucky Cheese
Re: Drunken advice [Re: veilbreaker]
    #7253220 - 08/02/07 09:18 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

No problem bro. No just roll with it. What's the worst that can happen? You get some mean green and you have to dowse it in bleach and toss it. I say roll the dice. You might come out fine.

Invisibleveilbreaker
Sour girl
Female

Re: Drunken advice [Re: chucklehead]
    #7253227 - 08/02/07 09:21 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hehe yeah I'll roll the dice, why not :ohwell:

*rolls a 7*

:monkeydance:

--------------------

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck