Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Diploid]
    #7244386 - 07/31/07 04:54 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Something I wrote today, I don't even know what to think of it myself, lol, writing high produces some off the wall stuff sometimes:

In the grand scheme of the universe humans are insignificant. Of the innumerable stars in the great ether, perhaps innumerable others support a high level of intelligent life of greater proportions than our own. Human spirit, invention, and thought are simply wisps of intangible nothing, as impermanent as our existence. Humans do not only produce these meaningless trifles, however, we do create something much more meaningful in the grand scheme of this reality. Human excrement is the sole product of our biological life on this planet. Although we, as humans, do manipulate our surroundings, it is only the feces that we produce through our own merit. Thought does not transcend space and time, and thus is meaningless to the greater existence. Our biological output, however, turns another cog in the fabric of our universe, truly manipulating the fabric of our beings. In the words of James Joyce “for in the byways of high improvidence that’s what makes life-work leaving and the world’s a cell for citters to cit in.”

Edited by xFrockx (07/31/07 04:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshakercee
Atheistic Mystic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here and there
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: xFrockx]
    #7244581 - 07/31/07 06:11 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Human excrement is the sole product of our biological life on this planet. Although we, as humans, do manipulate our surroundings, it is only the feces that we produce through our own merit.

Not to mention the other secretions we produce :lol:

We perpetuate our kind regardless of the consequences to the environment, consuming and leaving carbon footprints.

--------------------
Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce

Medical science has confirmed what the male world has known intuitively for millenia: that scratching your ass is a great aid to complex thinking.

Its God's responsibility to forgive the terrorist organizations such as Jaish, Lashkar etc.
Its our responsibility to arrange the meeting between them and god."
- Indian Armed Forces

"Hey Monkey!! Get Funky" - Tarzan and Jane

OfflinejustAkid
Member of myCulture

Loc: The Present
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Veritas]
    #7244855 - 07/31/07 07:39 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Point #1: Identifying one's ideas with a group (patriotism, religion, ethnic pride) and co-operating with a group in order to accomplish goals are NOT the same thing. Look again.

How can you accomplish goals if you don't share the idea of the goal? That's not even the point. The point is he endorsed group mentality while negating it in the same post. There's no getting around that.

Quote:

Point #2: "Most fitting" and "fittest" are NOT synonyms. Look again.

Your absolutely right. "Fitting" and "fittest" are the same word.

Please, I cannot believe we are actually debating this. Both words share the same base word, thus they are the same word. I cannot believe I have to go to the dictionary for this.

Quote:

Dictionary.com

fit 1 (fĭt) Pronunciation Key
v. fit·ted or fit, fit·ted, fit·ting, fits

v. tr.

1. To be the proper size and shape for: These shoes fit me.
2. To cause to be the proper size and shape: The tailor fitted the trousers by shortening them.
3. To measure for proper size: She fitted me for a new jacket.
2. To be appropriate to; suit: music that fits your mood.
3. To be in conformity or agreement with: observations that fit the theory nicely.
4. To make suitable; adapt: fitted the shelves for large books. See Synonyms at adapt.
5. To make ready; prepare: Specialized training fitted her for the job.
6. To equip; outfit: fit out a ship.
7. To provide a place or time for: You can't fit any more toys in the box. The doctor can fit you in today.
8. To insert or adjust so as to be properly in place: fit a handle on a door.

v. intr.

1. To be the proper size and shape.
2. To be suited; belong: doesn't fit in with these people.
3. To be in harmony; agree: His good mood fit in with the joyful occasion.

adj. fit·ter, fit·test

1. Suited, adapted, or acceptable for a given circumstance or purpose: not a fit time for flippancy.
2. Appropriate; proper: Do as you see fit.
3. Physically sound; healthy: keeps fit with diet and exercise.
4. Biology Successfully adapted to survive and produce viable offspring in a particular environment.

I hope by this we can see that they are the same word used in a different form. Now please don't make me define "most".

As for personalisms, this goes out to Diploid as well, I was attacked first, so lets not hold a double standard against me just because my opinions are right and happen to be unliked.

Quote:

Calling something the best is totally subjective and done by "morons" who need to bolster a flagging self-image.

I don't think I need to spell this out to Diploid but I probably need to take a few minutes so you can understand what happened right there. Let me just break this down.

"Calling something the best is totally subjective"

Alright, here he was referring to me. Now, how do we know this? Oh yeah, because he quoted me "calling something the best" and responded to it in this manner.

"and done by 'morons'"

Now since we have already established he is referring to myself and we know that I was "calling something the best". We also know that this action was done by me and also "done by morons". We can then conclude that I am a moron, or at least that is what was said.

If you can't take shit, don't start shit.

It really is cute though that Icelander sent his "gf" to defend him after I destroyed his arguments and showed him that only "babbling fools" make contradictions.

--------------------
Trust thyself.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: justAkid]
    #7244872 - 07/31/07 07:44 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

As for personalisms, this goes out to Diploid as well, I was attacked first

Then be the bigger man and don't attack back.

If we don't get back on topic, I'm going to lock this thread (and issue bans) and that would be a shame because it has the potential for some interesting debating.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7244953 - 07/31/07 08:15 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Well, you can choose to ignore my points if you wish, and add in even more personalisms, but you still have not made your points, and will not do so.  :shrug:

If you truly do not understand the difference between "best" and "fittest," in evolutionary terms, then there is no point in debating this topic with you.  Group mentality is certainly not the same as group effort, and we have adapted well (as the fittest do) by combining our efforts.  Being dominant, and attempting to put down and subjugate those whom you deem inferior, is NOT the same as adapting and cooperating. 

Your understanding of these concepts seems to be lacking, and your tendency to resort to juvenile personalisms does nothing to support your lack of understanding.  :shrug:

OfflinejustAkid
Member of myCulture

Loc: The Present
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Veritas]
    #7245256 - 07/31/07 09:18 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

First of all, I addressed your points.

I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend about the fact that I didn't use the exact language necessary to define natural selection, and I instead used an appropriate synonym, which was previously proved. But if you really can't let go of this matter, then I will say I should have said best fit instead of best. The point I was trying to prove with this still remains valid.

Group effort is futile without group mentality. How can a group act together if they don't share the same mentality? Group mentality is mandatory before an effort or action is made by a group.

Moderator edit: Removed off-topic portions of reply.

Edited by fireworks_god (07/31/07 09:23 PM)

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7247243 - 08/01/07 11:31 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

One last post on this before I give it up as a total waste of time...

Quote:

Icelander said:
People who need to wave a flag and identify themselves with a team are just afraid to stand alone, to have their own thoughts and to critically look at whats being told to them. Fear again.

If I agree to build a barn with a group of neighbors, will I continue to have my own self-defined identity and thoughts, or will I be assimilated by the BARN-BUILDERS? Yes, we will share a goal, and we will need to have a shared concept of the goal in order for the goal to be accomplished. If I am building a yurt & you are building a barn, the end result will be flawed.

Cooperation does not result in accepting a group-defined identity nor ideology. THIS is what Icelander was posting about, and it contains absolutely no contradictions.

If we are brave enough to construct our own ideas, and to critically examine the ideas of our culture/community, then we can cooperate without disempowerment. If we blindly accept patriotism, religion, racism, etc...as the way to think, then our cooperation within those groups will be sheepish and disempowered.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7248003 - 08/01/07 03:23 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm only nineteen so I really have not had the time necessary for me to achieve what I want, but I do have a plan and I am dedicated and motivated and I will not fail.

This says nothing about what is. Many people have achieved great things by 19. Most people who at this age tell the world about all the great things they will achieve are found later sitting on a fart smelling couch, eating chips, drinking beer, and rallying around their favorite football team dreaming that it was them that caught the touchdown pass. I've seen it so often you can generalize about it. So it might be better if one did something before calling others names. You need to prove yourself rather than talk about it. Why should I believe what you say?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: xFrockx]
    #7251353 - 08/02/07 12:54 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

"Thought does not transcend space and time..."
Uh..aehh, at least, this is definitively wrong.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (08/02/07 01:01 PM)

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: Icelander]
    #7251399 - 08/02/07 01:04 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Beer + chips + football = nirvana.

Why is this problematic for you?

Is peyote + desert + sunset truly superior? By whose standards?

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7251503 - 08/02/07 01:34 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Also, seeing reality through generalities is not a good practice. :smirk:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7251852 - 08/02/07 03:13 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Beer + chips + football = nirvana.

Why is this problematic for you?

Is peyote + desert + sunset truly superior? By whose standards?

The problem in understanding is yours. Drinking beer and farting is all fine if you set it as your goal. But if you claim another goal is yours and you will achieve it and end up doing little or nothing toward it then you are a liar.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: YOU'RE NOTHING SPECIAL [Re: fireworks_god]
    #7251857 - 08/02/07 03:15 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Also, seeing reality through generalities is not a good practice. :smirk:

Says you.:tongue:

It has served me well often and is good enough if not abused by believing there are only generalities.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order