Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineneesters
Stranger
Sterilization Question
    #7248119 - 08/01/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm very new to cultivation, so I have a question about sterilizing the culture jars: Would it be a problem to sterilize the jars and just leave them for a while as I wait for my spore syringe? so i can be prepared when it gets here? or will leaving them for many days likely cause a contamination of some sort?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThePyschonaut52
Stranger
Male

Re: Sterilization Question [Re: neesters]
    #7248207 - 08/01/07 04:21 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

actually, leaving them for a few days is recommended to ensure the jars are sterile.

--------------------
"In god we trust..."

-I guess we're screwed.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilization Question [Re: ThePyschonaut52]
    #7248367 - 08/01/07 05:05 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

not recommended by me though...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineNStoney
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilization Question [Re: ThePyschonaut52]
    #7248372 - 08/01/07 05:07 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

My understanding is that when you PC a jar you either killed everything or you didn't. When you wait a couple days, if no contams pop up then you probably got everything, otherwise you will surely start to see signs of contams.

Spend some time in the contam forum though, some contams are hard to recognize. Bacteria "sour rot" can be a tough one for newb's cuz alot of the time it doesn't have any pronounced color, it will look like a thin coat of slime.

In your situation I would definatly PC 'em before the spores arrive, and then just to be safe i'd re-PC them again before innoculating. The 2nd PCing will surely kill anything that the first one missed. (not just cuz your PCing again, but because anything that slipped past the first PC will start to germinate making it more susceptible to PCing the 2nd time)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale